No splitscreen for Battlefield 3 co-op

Thursday, 18th August 2011 04:33 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Battlefield 3′s co-op multiplayer, debuted at gamesom, will be online only.

The disappointing news came from DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson, speaking with gaminglives at gamescom.

Battlefield 3 will feature six co-operative maps, which will be distinct from the game’s single player campaign – no drop-in co-op if you need a buddy to help you advance.

Co-op will run on peer-to-peer connection rather than servers, and DICE has emphasised scoring over speed on leaderboard rankings.

Troedsson also revealed that co-op missions feature random elements, meaning players may be confronted by new events and gameplay on each play through.

Battlefield 3 releases on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in late October.

Thanks, That VideoGame Blog.

1. DarkElfa

Everyone who’s shocked by this announcement raise their hands.

Hardly anyone does split screen anymore since they want everybody who plays to cough up the 60 bucks for their own copy, least of all EA.

2. Phoenixblight

I also hate screen cheaters they annoy me so much >_< Thats what LAN Party's are for bring a TV and system.

3. JimFear-666

couldnt care less, im a real gamer, i use a pc.

4. darrito

+1 JimFear-666

5. Christopher Jack

Disappointing to see split-screen slowly dieing, one of the biggest reasons to own a console is becoming more & more redundant.

@2, Sony’s new 3D screen will fix that, unless of course they peek through the edges of the glasses to see what you’re doing & they will probably be able to but it’ll be muddled for the most part but that can be fixed by putting blinders around it- Also works against you in a team game, which Battlefield is for the most part, unless of course you need the entire screen to yourself.

@3, You’re starting to sound like Erthazus, what’s with this PC elitist community? They all seem to think that they’re above the majority just because their rig is more powerful, seems like they’re trying to compensate for something ;)

6. Dralen

PC Elitist. I hate that saying. I’m a PC gamer and I agree it is the best gaming platform, but I don’t hate console’s. In fact I play my 360 and PS3 just as much as I play games on my PC. So please don’t go and group together PC gamers as a bunch of douchebags, just because some of them are arseholes, I bet you would find alot more in the console community.

7. Phoenixblight

I am assuming you have seen the price. For same price I can get a much bigger screen. No need for that type of TV especially like you said Split screen is dying.

Yeah somehow “Real” gamers only like playing PC which is the platform that gets all the ported games from console. Thats hardcore Yo.

8. KAP

lol

PC Gamers are a dying breed, and rightly so…

9. Christopher Jack

@6, I’m a PC gamer too, lately I’ve only used my PS3 to watch videos while my 360 has been gather dust since my Gold sub ran out, so no, I’m not grouping all PC gamers as elitist, I’m grouping all PC elitist who assume that their way of playing is superior as elitist.

10. NightCrawler1970

I understand the game-dev want for the gamers a full screen, and keep the split-screen off, unless you buy a second Xbox or PS3 for in another room, than co-op will be both on full screen… correct im wrong….

11. Yoshi

@8 Go die in a ditch and stop trolling…

12. BloodyJoe

After they did everything right, eg. move support, 3d, sp-campaign they forgot splitscreen co-op. So I’m not buying it right now!

13. StolenGlory

I agree Yoshi, but your comment also aptly applies to @3 too.

14. Erthazus

Console trolls calling PC gamers elititsts on VG247. Nothing new here.

15. viralshag

It’s sad to see the feature go but I do also wonder how many people actually play split screen anymore? I can’t stand playing a game in half a screen.

16. Gekidami

^ Well i’d say that the lowering numbers of people playing in splitscreen is a direct result of more and more games cutting the feature out. Seeing as there are plenty of places where at least 2 people under the same roof play games, there will always be a demand for it.

But as its already been pointed out, publishers would rather people buy the game twice or just not have the extra person play. Seeing as this is EA -the most greedy publisher i can think of-, i cant say i’m surprised by the news.

17. mojo

pro tip:
    if ur mates cheat on u by looking at ur part of the screen, theyre not ur mates.

18. Gekidami

I guess you could get that screen which has each player see their side fully. Though you’d be really limited in the feature, what with so many games axing splitscreen.

19. TheBlackHole

Not surprised, but very disappointed. My GF and I love gaming together, but the continued lack of support for split-screen is very depressing.

Gears 3 it is then.

20. endgame

lol! why the f would u split-screen bf3? that’s like the dumbest thing I’ve heard this year!

21. TheBlackHole

Having filled in your missing words, I think I understand what you’re saying, and the answer is simple – because WHEN you have friends, it’s fun to play great games together.

That’s why every other big FPS/shooter franchise does it.

Gears, Halo, Left4Dead, Call of Duty, etc etc.

22. DarkElfa

I’m a PC user. I used to be a console enthusiast, but I stopped buying consoles after the manufacturers turned them into online nightmares and seemingly forgot everything that made consoles great to begin with.

23. charlieringham

@19 Me too, we love playing these types of games together and it’s getting ridiculous to the limited split screen, we’ll have to buy a second TV and a second console to play together soon and have them side by side. Black ops has been good to us with their split screen multiplayer but I don’t see that trend continuing in other games unfortunately.

24. XurrionHun

@8 PC gamers are dying eh? Is that y there are more ppl playing on PC then every console put together?? Or is it because in 2009 there were more Gaming PCs (yes Gaming PCs not any PCs) sold then the Wii, XBox360, and PS3 PUT TOGETHER TIMES 2?? rofl u silly console turd go play some low res COD on ur over priced TV

25. Phoenixblight

Speak English and yes Console games out sell PC 10:1 that is fact every publisher out there will confirm that for you. If you want someone to take you seriously learn how to make a coherent sentence.

Or is that too hard for you? Seriously you want to say that PC gamers are better than console gamers and you can’t even type a whole word together. Way to go, genius.