Deus Ex: Human Revolution PC region-locked, disc size to blame

Thursday, 18th August 2011 11:49 GMT By Stace Harman

Those hoping to import a boxed retail copy of Eidos’ highly anticipated augmentation salvation will have to think twice. A certain Australian VG247 news editor might be particularly upset by this news.

[Update] A message on the Eidos forum suggests the PC boxed retail copy will no longer be region-locked in the UK and Europe. See below for details.

Update
A post by an Admin on the Eidos forum states:

“Region-locking plan UPDATE
We’re aware of some discussion regarding the planned region-locking of boxed PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and after careful review we have decided not to implement this in the UK/Europe. Please note, this plan only related to PC boxed games, and not digital or console editions.”

Thanks, NeoSquall for the link.

Original story
Kotaku is reporting that numerous sources have confirmed boxed PC retail copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution will be region locked.

Eidos has stated that disc size limitations are to blame:

“Just to be clear to everyone the region lock is just for the retail BOX copies.. ie if you physically buy a box in the UK it will have the uk region code etc, if you buy a boxed copy in russia will be locked to russia, everywhere else is covered by a rest of world region (including poland).

“Due to disc size limitations, the languages had to be split onto different masters (PCs dont have universal bluray drives yet so we couldnt put all on 1 disc this is why there is so much confusion)

“Also all versions have ALL languages available. So even if you buy the English UK version, you can change the language to French, German etc whenever you want.. The size of the game meant we couldnt fit all languages onto the disc so you will just download the language pack for the game that is all..”

Download copies are said to be region-free, though it’s worth noting that with service providers such as Steam, your country of residence is supposed to determine which offers you have available to you. Some of you may know of ways to circumvent that, which we in no way endorse.

1. deadstoned

Bad luck for the Aussies, but at least they have better weather :-/

2. BULArmy

Waiting for teh ZOMG I’m not buying the game because of that shit!!!

/sarcasm

3. Gurdil

I don’t get it. They couldn’t put all languages, alright. But what does it have to do with region-locking? And only UK and Russia are special regions? Everywhere else, we have the same version? Maybe I’m dumb but I really don’t get how that language thing could be a reason to region-lock… :/

4. NeoSquall

This is a BS excuse.

This is not about what languages are included on the disc (they should explain why the “rest of the world” versions include English too), but the RESTRICTION that prevents people outside UK from registering game keys purchased from the UK.

Try harder.

5. NeoSquall

Also, if the language pack were really an issue they could just put English (and maybe French, it seems that French people rarely want to speak/read any other language, also it’s the second language in Canada) on the discs and maybe use the remnant space for more game content.

6. Gurdil

@NeoSquall That’s what I thought too. Except for the french part… I’m French and I always play (and watch TV shows and read most of the time) in English. But then again, I might be one of a few lol

Then I thought maybe the Augmented Editions are UK and Russia-only and they want to hype it to release another kind of augmented edition elsewhere which would be more expensive… But that’s a bit paranoid I guess :P

7. NeoSquall

@& Actually the Augmented and Collector’s Edition of the game are/should be available in all regions, the problem is not all those regions have distributors willing to do it.
    For example, in Italy we have a distributor who 1. made the Collector’s Edition available only for PS3 and 360 and 2. it’s priced at 149 Euros, an outrageous price compared with the rest of Europe and the main cause of many Italians like to look at Amazon UK to preorder the CEs, mainly the one on PC.

8. KBST

Yesterday’s news today! I guess tomorrow you’ll be posting that SquareEnix has decided to back off. There won’t be a region code within Europe.

9. NeoSquall

They lifted the lock: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1651200&postcount=778

DAMN I MUST ASK AMAZON UK TO RENEW MY CANCELED ORDER

10. typeface

That’s good @9.

But wait I’m confused. This is a steamworks title. So region-locking just means that you can’t unlock it if your steam account is linked to a particular country? But can’t you just create a new one and gift yourself the game in some convoluted way or get someone to gift it to you.

Also when I bought Civ5 at retail last year (another steamworks title) I recall that when I looked at my steam transactions list it specifically stated that it was a UK retail release and I’m sure there are people who bought civ from the UK but don’t live here and have registered it on steam. So really is it actually a big deal? I don’t get it. It’s not like a console region lock where you literally need to mod before you play.

11. NeoSquall

@10 As far as Eidos Community mod stated yesterday, the region lock worked blocking people from mainland Europe from registering UK retail copies of the game in their Steam account if it was “logging” from a mainland Europe IP. You can guess what people should do to circumvert this.

After the registration you could login even from Uzbekistan and be able to play the game just fine.

12. Stace Harman

@9 Thanks for the link. Updated.

13. NeoSquall

It seems that the “certain” Australian news editor will be happy too :D

14. kiyoe

DONT DO THAT! My heart stopped beating for a few seconds!