Modern Warfare 3 PC to have dedicated servers

Wednesday, 17th August 2011 16:57 GMT By Stace Harman

After ditching dedicated servers for MW2 due to service quality concerns, it seems Activision is bringing them back for MW3. Which is nice.

Dedicated PC servers are a go for the third instalment in Activision’s slightly-popular Modern Warfare franchise, that’s according to an employee of Beachhead Studios – the company responsible for developing online stat-tracking service service, Call of Duty Elite.

Speaking to Eurogamer at gamescom, Noah Heller of Beachhead said of the decision:

“The big announcement today is that we’re supporting dedicated servers for PC, which is really cool.”

Cool, indeed.

Modern Warfare 3 launches for PC, 360 and PS3 on November 8.

1. Virginityrocks

As I said before, dedicated servers or GTFO of PC gaming, Call of Duty is back on my considered purchases list. Although I laugh at this relatively futile attempt to gain back the PC gaming communities respect as BATTLEFIELD 3 is the only war shooter we care about atm.

2. FabioPal

Dedicated servers, imho, are not nice.

Too many “do not use this or that or get banned” or “only this map” etc.

I remember playing MW2 with my friends: get in the game, form a group, start a match. We always used to play together. Never had to wait for a spot to get in in some servers.

I understand that the “pro” players love the servers, but, maybe, give us the opportunity to fall back on the MW2 matchmaking!

3. Zidane

If you encounter a server that applies rules to attachments and such, simply find another one. It’s that simple. You’re basically asking IW to dumb down the experience, because you want things to be simple. I’m sorry, but learn to look for good servers and save them. It’s that easy.

4. Erthazus

Thats a good way to treat your fanbase. Thats good. I like it.

Now, if only MW3 was delayed for like 6 months so i could try it… Battlefield 3 is still going to steal huge chunk of my time.

5. LOLshock94

why not consoles? i hate playing with french people as they have the shittest connection ever

6. DSB

Figures. I reckon Treyarch has them spooked. They’re trying way too hard this time around.

@2 As you can probably tell, people don’t mind being inconvenienced like that, as long as they can have things as they’ve been for the last 10 years. It seems to me like they actually enjoy the inconvenience involved.

I don’t get it either. I’d say the matchmaker was the single ballsiest and most progressive thing I’ve seen a developer pull in ages. It’s sad that the new Infinity Ward is so eager to please, especially when Modern Warfare 2 is actually the preferred game on PC.

One step forward, two steps back.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Wow, PC gamers are so fickle.

8. LOLshock94

mw2 is the worst cod since cod 3

9. OrbitMonkey

Well playing with the French shouldn’t be a problem with MW3 as they’ve got rid of the 2nd chance perk.

10. G1GAHURTZ

^^ Source?

11. OrbitMonkey

I heard this awhile back. Just had a quick look on Google & found this. Dig deeper if you want more proof.

12. G1GAHURTZ

Hmmm… It’s not really confirmation that they’ve taken it out. It’s just Bowling saying that he didn’t like it.

I’m not bothered tbh, I just thought that you might have seen some new official info on the new MP features. I suppose I’ll just have to wait for the XP event to get some solid details.

Anyway, I actually really, really, really hate last stand too, btw, so I’d be pleased if they took it out.

13. deathgaze

Call of Duty != Battlefield

It’s that simple. For a game like Battlefield (which supports 32 players and up PLUS vehicles and physics) a powerful dedicated server is practically required equipment. For a smaller, skirmish based game like Call of Duty, I in no way see why a dedicated server is required from neither a technical standpoint or from a historic one.

Infinity Ward made the right call in making MW2 matchmaking only. It simplifies finding a game for everyone and forces everyone to play by the same rules. I’ll be able to play the game that I bought, as I bought it, for as long as the matchmaking server still draws bandwidth.

Let’s say I owned both MW2 and MW3 on PC. Two years from now, I’ll be able to jump on MW2 and play it exactly the same as I always have. However, if I want to jump on and play MW3 two years from now, I’ll have to deal with downloading your admin mod, all your annoying sound effects, your custom clan banners and then I’ll have to waste more time whilst I download a map created by a 12 year old in a weekend. All when I just wanna play the frickin’ game I bought.

DSB (#6) is exactly right: PC gamers seem to like having their world bass-ackwards in the name of “flexibility”. I suspect it’s mostly so they can feel superior to people who play on consoles. But it’s only a suspicion – I’ve never seen any real evidence that PC gamers are any more sophisticated than their console brethren. Just because you had to tinker with your computer for a week to get a game to run correctly does NOT make you superior, it just means you have more free time.

I, too, hope they leave the matchmaking option in.

14. Xuchilbara

As a dedicated PC gamer, I can honestly say I know 0 people who will care about this… Especially with PC being the main focus for BF3.

15. TerraZet

Why is dedicated servers a ‘big announcement’ Dedi’s are bog standard for online PC games… I don’t see whats so big about it.

16. badboy_122

I’m getting both BF3 & MW3 .. but to be honest I’m more excited about BF3 than MW3 .. the game looks legendary & also has the PC as the lead platform ;)

17. Virginityrocks

@15 MW2 made huge headlines when it announced that it would not have dedicated servers. People boycotted the game, people were worried that such a popular game may cause other developers to exclude dedicated servers if the community did not make an uphoar. Thankfully IW lost their war on freedom and community. This is news because PC gamers won.

18. DSB

@17 Let’s forget the fact that most of the people who “boycotted the game” were actually playing it on the day of release, and that the PC community still prefer MW2 (matchmaker) over Black Ops (dedicated servers) as opposed to the console audience by a margin of 3:2.

That’s what the “war” looks like.

And that’s what makes it so sad. Infinity Ward don’t realize they already won, instead they’re listening to a bunch of conceited whiners who (at least for some part) want a less daring, less spectacular game.

I’m sure if you whine hard enough, you’ll make them bring back EGA graphics and Voodoo cards too.

19. deadstoned

Good, now I hope this game works on launch this time…

20. Virginityrocks

@18 so you’d rathet have a PC game that is dependent on laggy, hacker filled, mic spammers with no banhammer in sight, no custom maps, no community, no choice? Just press a button and play? A system that wad designed for consoles, ie, people who gave up on compters because they dont understand how technology works?

Im sure you like how apple works, too. And how Activision works. You dont care what you lose by being docile and complacent with the way you interact with a product, so long as it doesnt require you to learn anything new.

21. ManuOtaku

i just will say the removal of an anti feature, is not a feature in itself, its simply returning the game to a default position, which is not a big thing IMHO.