Rumour: First DOTA 2 shots get out ahead of this week’s gamescom unveil

Sunday, 14th August 2011 09:21 GMT By Johnny Cullen

A GAF thread is carrying what appears to be the first actual gameplay screens of DOTA 2. The Valve strategy title is due to get its first showing later this week at gamescom after nearly a year-long blackout period. The screens show the title’s UI, art style and more. There’s also a character shot over on the Heroes of Newerth forums. The shots seem to be taken from a video that was posted on a Chinese website, going by the watermark in the bottom right of one of the shots. A piece of art from the game was posted yesterday.

The gamescom showing, a pro tournament with prizes up to $1 million, will be streamed online for the world to see. DOTA 2 launches later this year for PC and Mac.

1. Maximum Payne

When I am looking now at that screens I can ask my self a question:Did I expect something different ? :)

2. unacomn

Judging by how the grass and rocks look, ya, that’s the Source engine. What I want most out of this version of DotA is for Valve to add Team Fortress 2 characters to it.And hats, big hats, hats so big you won’t even know what character you’re controlling.

3. ColdCoffee

I thought they would come up with a new UI… The font is source I know this is authentic. The map and character design is amazing. Blizzard eat your heart out.

4. Maximum Payne

@2 Actually if didn’t know its Source engine I would say is Starcraft 2 engine…

5. Erthazus

100% STEAM engine.

If someone played alien Swarm he will recognize these textures and stuff. Great.
    Also, i want to see this in First Person view (you could see Alien Swarm in first person he he)

I like the UI, but i hate it’s design. It needs to be more “fantasy” like.

6. Maximum Payne

@5 You mean Source engine :P

7. HauntaVirus

Looks KILLER, I’m in.

8. The_Red

Kinda looks like Diablo 3 but hey, in Valve I trust.

9. Maximum Payne

@8 That was I thinking Diablo3/SC2 like Blizzard game :)

10. abbe

Only noticeable area where I can clearly see that its the Source engine is in the water effects, so iconic for it.

Personally I think that Valve have perfectly copied the WoW/WC3/SC2/Diablo 3 artstyles. It looks supercrisp.

11. The_Red

@9 yeah. Very Blizzardish indeed.

12. LOLshock94

wait everyone is creaming in there pants when there isnt any gameplay…wtf?

13. endgame

hell yeah! finally someone who can make a decent DOTA game.

edit: wait. it’s the same map again. EPIC FAIL!!

14. onlineatron

That certainly looks like a Blizzar-… Wait, what, Valve is developing it!?

15. ultramega

FINALLY! And it looks as great as I hoped it would!

16. Sini

those shots look severely gimped, i expected more from valve

17. Kabby

Looks great? What are you guys smoking.

18. onlineatron

What makes me excited about this game, and I know this is a lame reason, but it’s actually being able to play it on my iMac.

Too few high-end games are released for Mac, I’m usually left playing adventure games – sooo many adventure games – and whilst that’s nice, it’s cool to know that Valve is on the ball, releasing the newest hotness for both platforms.

19. Hunam

I’m just not sure why Valve decided to waste their time on something like this really. There is enough DOTA as it is, one more will just spoil the broth.

20. HauntaVirus

^I think not, It’ll sweeten the broth :)

21. Erthazus

@19, Valve wants a Korean market + there are not a lot of DOTA clones.
    WOW DOTA Rip offs and clones are not the best right now, so you have a choice: Playing Warcraft DOTA or LoL which is ok… So it’s a good way to do another one, but with the VALVE quality.

@Maximum Payne, yeah… i forgot… pff source, Steam.. whatever. It’s VALVE :D and thats enough. he

22. ultramega

According to some posts in the thread, these are of an old build. Besides, it has a TF2 art style, which I love. If you’re expecting Crysis or Witcher 2 level graphics, look elsewhere; you should know the Source Engine is no graphical powerhouse.

No. We need a true successor. The WC3 engine has shown its age, sadly. And competition is always a great thing.

HoN is a lot better than LoL; IceFrog even worked for S2 for a while. But I’m really wanting to jump ship (and I will, once DotA 2 comes), because S2 is shit to the community.

23. Rikimaru

It’s confirmed.

Original source:

24. ultramega

Nice. Can’t wait for the 17th…

25. Hybridpsycho

A perfet mix between cartoony and photorealistic graphics imo, looking forward to seeing some actually gameplay.

Also to people arguing bout LoL and HoN.

LoL = more casual fun while HoN = more elitistjerks competetive.

I prefer HoN :)

26. viralshag

@25, I tried HoN over the weekend and if I’m honest, I prefer LoL. Probably the fact I am still new to this sort of game but in general I prefer the look and feel of LoL.