Mortal Kombat sells close to 3 million units worldwide

Saturday, 13th August 2011 21:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Warner has announced to MCV that Mortal Kombat has sold close to 3 million copies worldwide since launch.

According to WB Interactive president Martin Tremblay, the firm is rather pleased with the success of the game so far.

“With the launch of Mortal Kombat, we have already paid for the acquisition of the Midway assets, and we are just beginning to leverage this acquisition with much more to come,” he told the site in it’s latest edition.

Posted over on NeoGAF, when you compare those figures with sales of Super Street Fighter IV and MvC3 since June 30, each has sold 1.6 million units, and 2 million, respectively.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. GrimRita

Was this predicted by anyone like an ANALyst?

2. Hunam

They deserve success with this as it’s a great game. Although why it took them this long to actually make a good MK game I don’t know but happy they finally got around to it :)

3. Maximum Payne

@2 Agree.

4. AT1LLA

The game is great! But it miss some good fatalities as animality & brutality.

5. Talkar

I have to agree with the above, it is absolutely one of the best Mortal Kombat games out there!

6. Hunam

I agree. Some of them are great, some not so much. I would have thought Fatalities would have been prime DLC material. Might get that pack that’s just landed on PSN actually, with the 4 fighters in it. Shame the Klassic skin pack isn’t in there too.

7. ultramega

Much deserved =)

Fully agreed!

8. The_Red

Great news. Hopefully then can make a sequel to this that can do what MK2 did to MK1.

9. The_Red

Hmm, after seeing GAF’s comparison numbers, I’m kinda curious to see if they’ll follow Capcom and release some kind of discount version with Freddy, Kenshi, Rain and Skarlet added to the package along with all patches and improvements (Also, hopefully better netcode).

10. Clupula

@9 – I would certainly hope not. Let them leave the audience milking to Capcom. If they want to make updates, I’m more than happy to get them as DLC.

11. The_Red

@10 True but I’ve read more than once that effective updates to netcode can’t be done via patches. Still, the warrior package deal is kinda sweet and I’ll probably get it since all 4 DLC characters are rather cool (Though I mostly want Freddy and Skarlet).