DICE: Origin required to play retail copy of Battlefield 3

Friday, 12th August 2011 08:54 GMT By Johnny Cullen

DICE has confirmed that those who’ve bought a retail copy of Battlefield 3 will be required to download Origin.

It’s not mentioned if this applies as well to the download of the game from other services – except Steam, of course – but it’s probably a forgone assumption that it will.

When asked if Origin was required for the retail version, DICE community manager Daniel Matros said on Twitter: “Yes those “rumors” are true.”

And there you go. Battlefield 3 releases on October 25 in the US and October 28 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

Thanks, BF3Blog.

1. Erthazus

Everything about BF3 sounds fantastic, except for this…

2. Aman27deep

@1 – I disagree. This’ll be good for battlelog!

3. Fin

Ya, I prefer when games require Steam, presumably it’ll be the same with Origin!

4. endgame

@2 why? battlelog can function with or w/e origin so why will this be good for battlelog M. Aman27deep? pls enlighten me!

5. ultramega

Yep…

6. Erthazus

@2, there was battlelog on BC2 if you played it on Steam.

Battlelog was on the Battlefield site so Origin or not … does not matter if you really want battlelog.

7. Yoshi

@2 Battlelog sucks, I don’t want to be forced to go through that piece of craps XD I wanna jump straight into a windowed game.

8. viralshag

Oh man, gutted… for all that dislike Origin. I on the other hand, don’t really care.

9. noherczeg

Now I can Read VG247 while the next map is loading ^^

Just tested Origin yesterday and it isn’t as bad as I thought is.

10. cgalla2000

Well the in-browser server browser was actually pretty good in the Alpha. I was in game within 10/15 seconds of clicking join. But I’ve spoken to a few people who found that they were taking ages to connect to any game.

11. Jackie

does the game require punkbuster?

12. Redh3lix

@11 – Very good point!

13. bpcgos

Looks like EA have answered it all by themselves regarding to the reason behind the removal of their games from STEAM. Do we need Valve to say its reason and make another BS statement about being closer to their customer ?? Nope, VALVE already knew before that EA will say the reason for them !

14. freedoms_stain

Well I very much saw this coming. I’m not really bothered. I’d still prefer to launch the game from Steam so I can get steam notifications while playing and stuff, but the Battlelog-Origin combo its pretty smooth. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game where you can go from a clean boot to loading a match as quickly.

15. DSB

It might bring Steam down a notch, but if it’s replaced by a publisher that’s willing to throw in a lot more into marginalizing independent retail, then they’re going to feel it too.

What’s good for you today, may not be good for you tomorrow. It doesn’t seem like GamersGate have taken the bait yet.

@14 Wait what? Do tell. BC2 pretty much had the worst interface of a AAA-game that I’ve seen in years. Whereas one of the things I loved about MW2 was the fact that I only had to click twice to jump right into a game.

Maybe you should make a forum post about your exploits. I want to know!

16. Phoenixblight

“I don’t think services like Impulse and D2D are going to be too happy with their decisions to ship EAs client if the publisher clients end up gaining the upper hand.”

Fallout New Vegas had steam needed with the Physical and DIgital version and D2d and Impulse didn’t care about it then either. And they won’t care now especially since both companies are owned by retailers.

17. freedoms_stain

@15, Battlelog is more than just a stats page or Battlefield facebook, it’s the BF3 launcher and server browser.

With Battlelog I can be already loading right into a match in the time it would take a traditional game to reach the title menu.

18. GrimRita

Thankfully I have cancelled my pre-order. After playing in Alpha, its clear that the Frostshite game engine just cant do FPS games on a PC!

19. ShiroGamer

errr

20. Joe_Gamer

@18 God damn troll >.> The fucking ALPHA didn’t meet your lofty expectations? You should google “software testing” because I don’t think “alpha build” means what you think it does.