Pre-gamescom Friday. Catch up on the last 24 hours before the German onslaught begins on Monday.
- Featured content: NPD’s recorded the worst sales month at US retail for five years. A separate report has pointed to the now undeniable truth that physical game sales are cratering.
- You’ll be able to watch Sony’s gamescom press conference in PlayStation Home next week.
- Rumour suggests Valve’s about to announce something called Counter-strike: Global Offensive.
- Our Battlefield 3 competition winners have been confirmed. These lucky chaps will come with us to Sweden to meet DICE and shoot guns.
- Games have launched on Google+.
- Carbine’s MMO, to be announced at gamescom next week, is a “future fantasy”.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon’s got a gamescom trailer. Pretty swish.
- PSP and J-League Pro Soccer Club! 7: Euro lead the Japanese charts this week. 3DS sales have collapsed ahead of Nintendo’s price cut – only 4,132 units were sold in the week ending August 7.
- Zumba Fitness has sold 3 million units.
- Information on Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 will arrive “very soon,” according to Sega West CEO Mike Hayes.
- World of Tanks has gone passed 5 million sales.
- Cowen reckons Star Wars: The Old Republic will sell 3 million units in its first year.
- More than 300,000 players join Age of Conan: Unchained in its first month. Revenues have doubled and server activity quadrupled.
- TrackMania 2: Canyon will release on September 14.
- The GMA 2011 finalists have been confirmed. We’re up for “games blog”.
- Grand Slam Tennis 2′s been confirmed for 360 and PS3 in 2012.
- There’s no melee combat in Fable: The Journey because Kinect can’t give you feedback.