Space Marine developer diary discusses making “blockbuster entertainment”

Thursday, 11th August 2011 14:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A new developer diary for Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is posted below. It takes a look at the production of the game with cinematic footage mixed in. Seems as though Relic took some lessons from the the film industry when it came to creating the overall look and feel of the game. See for yourself below. Space Marine is due in early Septmeber on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. Thanks, RPS.

1. viralshag

This game looks so great I honestly can’t wait for it to come out. Absolutely hyped for it.

Huge fan of the 40K Universe (in the computer game form at least) and they really look like they have done a good job. I hope that it plays as well as it looks.

2. Patrick Garratt

Yep, I’m pumped. Right up my alley.

3. Christopher Jack

I think Relic’s setting their hopes too high with this game. Nevertheless, I’m going to buy it & there’s no doubt that I’ll also enjoy it.

4. viralshag

I think Relic will do a good job. They don’t seem like the kind of guys to do a half assed job. Not to mention the fact they already have a strong experience with the brand.

Not to mention this is their first outing to the console market, and so far it looks like they have done a great job of it. Obviously this is all based on looks alone but unlike a lot of other games, there is nothing I have seen that makes me go “hmmm, that looks a bit off and I wonder if they will change that?”

They seem to know their audience well enough to implement changes without totally ruining a franchise for the fans, DoW2 for example (which I happened to really like despite the changes) and I think the third instalment will be great.

5. NeoSquall

I KNEW IT!

I knew the Inquisitor smelled fishy right from the start!
    You can’t trust radicals enough to not doubt they’ll eventually fall into outright heresy and consort with the Chaos scum!

Torch him, Titus, purge the filth with the Emperor’s righteous fury!

6. Christopher Jack

@4, I really respect Relic, but most people call Soulstorm halfarsed since Iron Lore did half the work (my personal favourite of the entire series though). Also, this is not their first console game, they made The Outfit for Xbox 360 & it was pretty bland. I think DoW2′s changes were pretty awful, eliminating nearly every race, killing base building & overall, just limiting from variety to army size. The 2 things I applaud Relic for DoW2 is adding in The Last Stand & the cover tactics, if they had kept the original DoW formula, spiced up the graphics & added in The Last Stand & the cover tactics.

@5, That’s religion for you :P

7. viralshag

@CJ, My bad then, I thought it was their first game as there was a lot of news about who they had brought in to work on it and stuff.

8. NeoSquall

@6 They didn’t eliminate the races, they only added them gradually as it was with the original DoW: first DoW started with 4 races (Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar, Orks), then Winter Assault added the Imperial Guard, Dark Crusade the Tau and the Necron and, finally Soulstorm added the Sisters of Battle and the Dark Eldars.
    And yes, Soulstorm is halfarsed because it was technically inferior (longer load times with the same engine on the same pc? this is madness, or better, heresy) and less inspired story-wise (even the characters can’t stand the shadows of their racial predecessors. the same SM Captain of Soulstorm, Boreale, is scorned in the vanilla campaign of DoW2) to Dark Crusade, which can be considered as the pinnacle of the first Dawn of War series.

9. Christopher Jack

@8, My point is, it’s disappointing from having the choice of 9 races, to only 4, also a little annoyed that I won’t be able to play as Orks in Space Marine MP, hopefully they add in a Last Stand mode that will allow us to be an Ork.

10. NeoSquall

@9 Well it’s become sort of a tradition for Relic to release Dawn of War with a “starter kit” of races, either to allow more time to balance them and the future (expansions, DLC) ones and build a better overall experience.

Why would you play orks in Space Marine? D:
    You’d really want to play as a low rank, badly equipped, foul mouthed grot?

Also, don’t expect that the co-op of Space Marine will allow you to be anything not Space Marine or Chaos Marine.

11. Christopher Jack

@10, Well if Orks were in MP, they would all be Nobz & it’s kinda obvious that you would play the protagonist in the campaign.

12. NeoSquall

Nobz are elite units.
    If you play Nobz Space Marines should field veterans or terminators, Chaos should field chosens or possessed marines, the Imperial Guard should field autocannons or ogryns and so on…

The fact is that equal unit types aren’t equally powerful across the armies in 40K, so you can’t fight head on a Tac Marine as a Ork boy in a game supervised by Games Workshop and hope to survive his first bolt.
    This is one of the problems I think Vigil is addressing in the development of Dark Millennium Online and I hope they find a way to do it right.

13. Christopher Jack

@12, Your squad spends half the game crushing through Nobz, you don’t expect the game to be 100% authentic to it’s origin. Just look how poorly movie tie-ins do.