Injured boy mugged in riot to have PSP replaced by SCEE

Wednesday, 10th August 2011 16:53 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Ashraf Haziq – the injured boy who was videoed being mugged of his PSP after being helped to his feet by rioters in London this week – is to have the console replaced by SCEE.

A video of Haziq, 20, having goods taken from his backpack after being apparently assisted by youths, has caused outcry: the Malaysian student had suffered a broken jaw in disturbances and was sitting at the side of the road, obviously bleeding.

Speaking on a site set up to “do something nice” for the youngster, SCEE marketing director Alan Duncan, said the firm would “like to give Ashraf a new PSP and games,” and asked to be put in touch with Haziq or a hospital at which he’s being treated.

A response has been made to Duncan, saying his details will be forthcoming.

“If we can find out how to get it to him we’ll replace the PSP,” added a SCE UK rep.

Namco Bandai has also told us that it’ll send a package of games to Haziq in support of SCEE.

Haziq was caught up in widespread rioting in London on Monday night, the worst disturbances of their kind in recent years.

You can watch the video below.

1. robmlufc

Nice one SCEE, thumbs up.

2. Razor

Video is just totally sickening.

Good job SCEE.

3. FlyingNimbus

Good one Sony, heard they had a distribution centre burned to the ground as well. These rioters are absolutely disgusting!!

4. Sini

Welcome to the human race.

5. Nozz

Thats really nice. Good stuff SCEE!

6. G1GAHURTZ

Sony +1.

7. Fin

Ur, I don’t know if a random post on a random website counts as proof SCEE are going to give him a PSP (unless the “a SCE UK rep” bit was when you went looking for comment).

Come on lads, journalism’s a bit lacking today!

8. Dralen

The riots that are going on in our country are sickening. Everyone of the rioters deserved to be locked up for this.

Good job SCEE. Poor guy must have been really shook up.

9. humanfish

Fucking hats off Sony, bravo!! That video made me so angry. That poor lad must have been so bewildered, and then these c nts come along. Sometimes I wish I was so rich I didn’t have to work, then I could drive around and snatch these wastes of space off the streets and teach’em sone manners.

10. VancouverBlade

This video is truly disgusting. I can only hope something really shitty befalls the scum who stole the poor guy’s stuff.

11. Aimless

Let’s just hope it isn’t a PSPgo. The lad’s been through enough.

12. NeoSquall

This scum should be shot on sight, and not with water cannons.

13. loki

Sony respect
    UK police, it’s time to put in place these bastards do not stand aside

14. Christopher Jack

That seems like normal action around my suburbs… & people wonder why I’m cynical about my fellow human beings, they’re no better than a large dog wanting the smaller ones bone.

15. RandomTiger

Good stuff, easy PR win of course but still, good stuff.

16. freedoms_stain

@12, yes the best way to solve violence is to out-violence them.

Derp.

17. TheWulf

It’s funny, I keep noticing that the European arms of console companies are the good sons. Nintendo Europe translated Solatorobo, which I loved the hell out of, and now you see SCEE showing the rest of Sony (are you paying attention?) how to generate good will.

Now if only SCEA could learn a thing or five from this.

18. Yoshi

Ahh it was a psp, I was hoping it wouldn’t be anything that important but nice to see Sony replacing it.

19. The_Red

Glad to hear this.
    F*** those assholes that stole from a kid in that situation.

20. Noodlemanny

Hm, that stroll the guy makes as he walks away 0:40. Thats the problem. Hes pleased but the worse bit is it makes him ‘hardcore’ or ‘getto’. Call it what you will but thats the base of alot of problems.

21. Patrick Garratt

Just added a line to this. Namco’s said it’s going to send him some games as well.

22. NeoSquall

@16 Yes, you can’t reason with them.
    Their parents failed to educate them and now they’re on the streets burning, sacking and stealing.

They’re like stray, hydrophobic dogs.
    There’s no reason to be done with hydrophobic dogs.

@19 he’s not a kid, but a transfer student.

23. onefivefive

Ah good on you Sony. Fair play.

24. el duderino

It’s amazing to see that some people still believe you can bring down violent people without being violent.It brings tear to my eyes.Flower children v2.0
    The only thing those punks deserve is a good old beating from police and some jail time.

25. triggerhappy

FUCK SAKE. Prick. Chancing prick.

26. Patrick Garratt

@7 – It was SCE UK that pointed us to Alan’s comment. It’s legit.

27. Moonwalker1982

First it looked like the guy was helping him, but it was only for the other to check his backpack and steal the PSP? Sigh…fucking disgusting.

28. triggerhappy

^ yeh, i was actually eating my dinner when i watched it, still ate it but it didn’t taste as good. That kind of shit sickenss me. Not cool.

29. Tallon 4

Sony +1
    I hope that the prick who robbed him gets to do some time in jail

30. NightCrawler1970

http://i.imgur.com/gTJGX.png this punkass bitch to stupid to show himself clearly and how proud he was about his loots….

this has definitely been the UK national anthem for the last 3 days lol´╗┐

31. hypeb147

Good move Sony.

32. g3korn

Until proven otherwise I think that whoever stole it was before, and if someone broke their teeth had no more than he deserved.

And if the SONY return an item stolen from his shop which was completely destroyed in the event it is very stupid

After all who would walk with a new PSP inside the backpack was the city in chaos

sorry for the horrible english.

@g3korn ^^

33. Raiden

What a shitty situation. What a shame.

34. Psychotext

Saw this on another site and just had to track this story down to give Sony a big thumbs up.

/big thumbs up

Good job. :)

35. KrazyKraut

wtf… I thought it was some kind “we are angry about the police” thing…and now this. hope they burn in hell.

@Sony
    Nice one!

36. frostquake

USA Spin on the Riots is “The Have Nots” have gotten tired of the “Haves” taking everything from them, Showing some Building that was bought in a Slum for 42 Million Dollars and that there were 22 other bidders for that building.

I understand getting tired of the Oppression from the Rich, but going about in the way of Looting, Burning, and attacking the helpless, is just so sickening…they sure could have done this in a very different way!

Unless this is just people looking for a cause to hide the fact that they just want to rob, burn, attack, and destroy!

37. Crab of Thunder

This is fucking disgusting, it makes me angry beyond belief. Thank god I’m not a police officer because I don’t care what people say and I’d have those degenerate scum beaten to within an inch of their life.

Things like this are utterly depressing.

Kudos to Sony I guess.