Capcom: Mega Man “super important to us,” Legends 3 cancellation “a decision that had to be made”

Wednesday, 10th August 2011 13:33 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Capcom US VP Christian Svensson has said that the cancelation of Mega Man Legends 3 was a decision that needed to be made, but insisted that the IP is still “super, super important” to the publisher.

MML3 for 3DS was canned in June alongside a prototype version of the game, which would have acted as a teaser.

“The decision was not made lightly,” Svensson said of the move in an Ask Capcom. “Certainly, we knew there would be a lot of upset people and in spite of that, we still had to make that decision.

“That doesn’t mean we don’t care about you at all. I unfortunately can’t get into the details of it, but it was not a decision that was made lightly and I can tell you that no one is happy about that decision, but it was a decision that had to be made.”

But even with MML3 gone, Svensson assures that the Mega Man IP is still an important part of Capcom.

“Oh, absolutely not. The frustrating thing for me is I have nothing I can hold up and say, ‘Oh, here’s this other Mega Man thing’,” he said when asked if it was being put on the backburner.

“Mega Man is a very important brand to Capcom. We get questions [like], ‘Are you guys trying to kill the brand?’ No, absolutely not. It will continue to be a very important brand for us. I wish I had something I could hold and display for you that that’s the case, but I don’t right now. But super, super important to us, I do want to express that.”

Last night, Capcom released Mega Man 5 onto the PS Store in the US as part of the game archives section.

1. neon6

2. Rosseu

^lol is that post true or did he just make a lucky troll post?

3. joshua nash

the words BULL and SHIT come to mind while i was reading

4. hitnrun

Damn, neon6 beat me to it.

This is a bunch of bullshit. You can make a solid case that MML3 was a waste of time, a foolish project for a niche market. But, having already started to develop it, canceling it is a major slap to those fans.

The shameful Loyalty Oath project, wherein they threatened to cancel it if enough players didn’t show interest by buying the demo-thing, was vomit-flavored icing on the whole charade. That pic by neon6 (it was circulating that same day) is the hemorrhoidal cherry on top. The whole project certainly seems like a scam from the beginning.

5. DarkElfa

It’s so super important to us that we have used the IP t make a decent new game our of it in umteen fucking years.

6. TheWulf

Except that, you know, there’s actual evidence that MML3 was just a commissioned advertising project to help sell 3DS units and was never actually a game.

There’s no use getting pissed off at Capcom for cancelling a game that never existed, you’re better off getting pissed off at Capcom and Nintendo for being willing to do something as shitty as that.

7. wishdokta

Just put on some Megaman X or Zero, and some of the little Megaman’s within will be pleased.
    As a NES/SNES Megaman fan, I’m a sorta less interested in other titles or niches.

8. DarkElfa

@6, I’m pissed off at Capcom because they have a great franchise that they are doing almost zero with.

Why haven’t they made a new, major console MM game utilizing the benefits of current tech?