L4D2: If 60,000 earn Connecting Fights achievement, Blood Harvest beta gets unlocked early

Saturday, 6th August 2011 17:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Valve’s added an updated version of the original Left 4 Dead Terminal Map for Dead Air into Left 4 Dead 2, and it is handing out an incentive to test it for bugs and the like. This incentive will come in the form of an achievement called Connecting Fights, which is earned by playing a complete game of Versus in Dead Air. What’s more, once 60,000 people earn the achievement, Valve will unlock the beta version of Blood Harvest on Steam the following weekday. Think of it as the same as with the Dead Air incentive, only instead of the goal being 20,000, Valve has added and extra 40,000 on top of it. Get to work. Thanks, Shack.

1. DSB

That’ll also require 60,000 people to play Left 4 Dead 2, which is really unreasonable.

2. Yoshi

With 11k peak today I doubt it’s unreasonable, quite clever to get people back into Left 4 Dead 2 really.

3. DSB

@2 I know, I was kidding. I was just playing on the fact that Left 4 Dead 2 really sucks :P

4. Yoshi

@3 Ahhh :P I do love the original more :) Looking forward to the mod team behind bringing all L4D2 maps to L4D1 ;)

5. DarkElfa

I’ll wait for the charts that’ll show that 60,00 players will achieve this just as the actual launch day is reached.

6. jacobvandy

60,000 people got the Cold Stream achievement to unlock Dead Air in 24 hours. This one will be a bit harder because you have to complete a game of versus, not campaign, but still, I’d say it’ll be done by Monday.

7. Noodlemanny

Whats wrong with L4D2. Its literally L4D1 but with more stuff. I guess You could say that the extra stuff kind of out balances it all, but I don’t think so. I think you don’t like L4D2 because its a bit of a rip off all things considered. Which is fair doos but it still doesn’t make it ‘really suck’.

8. DSB

I think all of it pretty much had an element of suck. In terms of weapons and especially level design, there’s just added suckiness.

I haven’t really played enough to go deeper than that, but it all made sense when I learned that it was done by a different developer. I was playing it with friends that I’d had a lot of fun with in the original and after the first episode we were like “Wait, this kinda sucks, doesn’t it?” and then we left it at that.

9. freedoms_stain

L4D1 and 2 certainly had different design philosophies. I spent hours upon hours just playing survival with randoms on L4D1 trying for gold medals, on L4D2 I was less interested overall. Scavenge is quite a good game type, but other than that, kinda meh for L4D2.

I think they tried to introduce too much run and gun with L4D2, you can’t really hole up and weather the storm like you could in L4D1, you’re forced to run around like a headless chicken too much which makes you easy prey for the instant incapacitate special infected attacks.