The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition announced

Friday, 5th August 2011 20:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bethesda has the The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition, which comes with a dragon statue. Yes. A dragon statue.

Poised to look rather smashing on our bookshelf, in addition to the 12-inch tall statue of Alduin the world eater, folks who purchase the collector’s edition will get:

• ‘The Art of Skyrim’ Official Art Book. Featuring over 200 pages of striking, full-color illustrations, sketches and models, this stunning 9 3/8” x 12 1/8” coffee table book showcases the characters, creatures, environments, and weaponry of Skyrim. With a foreword by game director Todd Howard and commentary from Bethesda Game Studios artists, readers will be guided through the game’s iconic visual style.
  • ‘The Making of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’ DVD. This documentary DVD contains exclusive, behind-the-scenes footage, including interviews with the Bethesda Game Studios team as they take you from concept to creation and provide insights into the story, gameplay, setting, legacy of the Elder Scrolls franchise, and much more.

“We always say that we make the games we want to play. We can also say we create the collector’s editions we’d want to own,” said Pete Hines, VP of PR and marketing for Bethesda. “We all want one of these!”

The “extremely limited” Collector’s Edition will be available through pre-order and retails for $149.99/€149.99/ £129.99 and $199.99 in Australia.

Check out a shot of it below.

1. NeoSquall

Uhm… no.

2. Night Hunter

Uhm … yes!

3. Erthazus

The “extremely limited” Collector’s Edition

$149.99/€149.99/ £129.99 and $199.99 in Australia

wow…

4. Fin

Uhm… no.

Edit: Erth combo breaker :(

5. ultramega

That is sooo sexy. I don’t order many CE’s, but this is amazing… Where do I pre-order from?

6. Phoenixblight

Pass. They must have found a way to have the book, maps and statues made for twenty dollars so they can make even more profit.

7. Christopher Jack

Just bought Morrowind & Oblivion for $10. Side note, why the extra $50 for this edition in Australia? Granted, it’s only $5 more than the UK price & virtually the same as the Euro price… I guess the yanks are the only ones doing well here.
    Unfair how us Aussies & you Euros always seem to be charged 33% more than the US of A in almost everything- I don’t see why though, sure postage will be more expensive in most cases but us Aussies only pay 10% tax, where’s the rest going to?

8. Phoenixblight

Because your countries have a lot more going on the tax front for publishers and they pass it on to the consumer.

9. Talkar

What is this “pruchase” that is being mentioned? xD Some kind of british idea no doubt :P

10. NeoSquall

@7 more than that, the price is outrageously higher than any CE around these days.

Just 2 examples, of course on PC:

Assassin’s Creed: Animus Edition:
    - the game;
    - a BIG encyclopedia with exclusive insights on the lore of the series;
    - short film Assassin’s Creed: Embers;
    - Soundtrack;
    - 2 multiplayer skins;
    - capacity increase for dards, bombs and knives;
    - Brutus Armor from Brotherhood;
    - exclusive map.

Price: 79,98 Euros in Italy

Batman: Arkham City Collector’s Edition:
    - the game;
    - a Batman statue by Kotobukiya;
    - Collectible art book
    - Early access to the Iceberg Lounge Challenge Map and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns skin;
    - Batman: Arkham City album from WaterTower Music including original songs by hit artists, available via digital redemption
    - bonus movie Batman: Gotham Knight.

Price: 78,43 Euros from TheHut

11. jacobvandy

They could sell this for $100 or less, but I’m certain they looked at how the Star Wars: The Old Republic CE sold out really fast at $150 and said, “Pfft, we can do that!” Firstly, they underestimate the pure fanboy draw of anything Star Wars (I’m susceptible to it), but further, they simply don’t have enough on offer here. It’s a plastic statue (big and fancy-looking one, yes, but still plastic/PVC), making-of DVDs are kind of nice but not worth any extra money, and the art book will most likely be sold separately for about $20…

Plus they don’t mention anything about any special packaging for the game itself (Oblivion re-release gets a metal tin, but not this?), and if it does come with a map (don’t know, since they don’t mention that, either), it’s probably the same “burlap paper” one that comes with every pre-order. Big, fat PASS for me.

12. Gekidami

Well, at least theres no monthly fee to add to that.

13. ultramega

Oh, didn’t realize it’s plastic. Nevermind then.

14. monkeygourmet

Rip off… Count me in for the standard edition, I can buy a shitty pewtar dragon from the shop that sells bongs over the road from me…

15. Matman657

guys! they are suing Mojang for using the word “scrolls” in there upcoming game because it might confuse people with this game lols…

16. Stephany Nunneley

@15 Not suing, technically. Just sent a letter. See our post on this from earlier today.

17. DuckOfDestiny

Fuck, I want that map. But I don’t have £129 :(

18. The_Deleted

Ouch.

Sold.

Ouch, though….

19. Dralen

This is bullshit! Bethesda were just saying the other day how games are too expensive and now this. I bought the CE for Oblivion for the same price as the standard edition back in the day; which just goes to show you how greedy this industry has become.

20. Phoenixblight

THey are a business if people weren’t buying they wouldn’t be offering it.

21. Noodlemanny

It doesn’t have lots of collectables and stuff you can spend time reading and looking at. That makes no sense this is an RPG isn’t it?
    Although I do always love the ‘making of’ videos.

22. OrbitMonkey

I’d prefer a In-game dragon my character could fly, rather than a plastic dragon on my shelf proclaiming my geekism :/

23. Noodlemanny

Stand tall and proud of geekyism. Theres nothing to be ashamed of I think its quite cool like. Then again I’m probably a little biased.

24. jldoom

Yeah…$150? I’ll pass :)

The extra cash I save from this edition will go towards other games.

25. InfantStomper800

This is a complete rip off. Although it is totally worth $150 in my opinion but NOT €150!! $150 = €100 due to massive inflation in the US. We are basically being charged €50 more (the price of a brand new game) than the US for the exact same thing! Absolutely nobody would buy it at $220 which is what we are being asked to pay.

26. silkvg247

CE’s are getting ridiculous. Was tempted though when I saw the dragon. But then, I refuse to pay the 40 quid completely fabricated “you aren’t in the USA lolz” tax.

149.99 US Dollar = 91.688737 Pound Sterling