No immediate plans for XBLA release of Torchlight 2

Friday, 5th August 2011 02:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Despite the success of the original game on the console network, Runic has revealed technical limitations will keep Torchlight 2 off Xbox Live Arcade for now.

“With Torchlight 2 there is a little more complication as far as just being able to do a straight port, as we did with Torchlight 1,” Runic CEO mac Schaefer told Eurogamer.

“In all likelihood, if Torchlight 2 gets to the Xbox it would be probably fairly comprehensively redesigned. We managed to shoehorn Torchlight 1 in there but just barely.

“As some people have pointed out, there’s a little bit of frame-rate slowdown when it gets super crowded on screen. That’s another fact of it not being designed for the system and just being shoehorned onto it.”

Clarifying the situation on Twitter after disappointed fans got in touch, Runic explained that even if it circumvented Xbox Live Arcade’s file size limits by releasing on-disc, the game uses too much memory to run successfully on the system.

“It’s not our fault the system can’t handle the memory! Or wait. It is,” the team joked.

Asked whether the major redesign required to get the game out via Xbox Live Arcade would be worth the effort, Runic replied “possibly” and that it’s “not ruling it out”. But before that-

“We’re very consciously trying to focus on one thing at a time and at the moment it’s getting Torchlight 2 out for the PC,” Sachafer explained.

“Then the next thing will be the Mac port. Beyond that we’re keeping our options open, depending on what happens. We have a lot of opportunities to do a lot of different things but we want to stay a small studio.”

1. Blerk

No worries, I’m going to buy it on the PC anyway. No date yet, though?

2. YoungZer0

Yeah, a date would be awesome. Can’t wait.

3. BloodyJoe

I wan’t that PS3 version with move-support!

4. M. K.

@3: Ohh please, troll harder :D

5. ManuOtaku

Damn i really hope they will end up bringing torchlight 2 on 360 / ps3, because i love torchlight great game, and i dont do PC gaming at all, please guys make it happen even in disc format.

6. Maximum Payne

@1 I think August ?
    @5 I think there is going to port to 360 just like they did with first one.
    For PS3 thought I don’t know.

7. viralshag

I picked it up on the PC and 360, I would say I prefer it on the console. I have other things I want to play while at my PC but it’s a great time waster on the console.

8. Blerk

It’s August now! :-)

It was originally July, iirc, but they backtracked on that date and as far as I’m aware they didn’t set a new one. No matter, I’m happy for them to take the time they need to finish it. I’ll buy it whenever they’re done.

9. Erthazus

Perfect launch for them is in SEPTEMBER or well… maybe december at best.