It’s the year of RAGE. Not DOOM. It’s not the year of Vita, either. Get all the major headlines from the last 24 hours in video and text form below.
- Featured content: In the fourth and final part of our look at the launch of the original Xbox, we take a look at the games line-up and the release itself.
- Vita will make Japan this year, but Kaz Hirai’s now confirmed that the handheld won’t release in the US and Europe until 2012.
- “This is the year of RAGE,” John Carmack said in his Quakecon keynote last night. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the year of DOOM 4, as promised. Maybe that’s next year.
- The super-coder also confirmed that the DOOM 3 source code will release this year.
- Peter Moore became EA’s COO last night. Frank Gibeau, once EA Games boss, will now take up a new position as head of EA Labels.
- A giant documentary on Bungie is now available as part of the studio’s 20th anniversary celebrations.
- Rhythm Heaven is still top in Japan. 3DS sales have cratered on news of the imminent price cut; PSP, obviously, was top.
- Some 30 percent of Japanese 3DS owners feel “anger or regret” over the console’s price drop.
- Sounds as though plans for an XBLA version of the still unreleased Torchlight 2 are basically nonexistent.
- Square’s rebranded True Crime game will release next year.
- Around 30 percent of gamers have purchased micro-goods.
- Catherine moved 200,000 units its first week at US retail. Steph thinks that’s “awesome”. I’m inclined to agree.
- Bethesda’s Todd Howard thinks games are too expensive. There are no flies on that man.
- New Dishonored shots and a video interview. Where? Here.
- And a new RAGE movie. These are both from Quakecon. Both looking awesome from where we’re standing.
- Another video. Here’s the latest from Resistance 3.
- Bethesda goods are now available in Team Fortress 2. You can get a Skyrim hat, and everything.
- Codemasters CEO Rod Cousens has said that Wii U needs to be “very keenly priced“.
And here are the shift wraps from the last 24 hours:
- AU News Wrap, August 5 – What Happened Today
- US News Wrap, August 4 – What Happened Today
- European News Wrap, August 4 – What happened today
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.