Report – Borderlands 2 to be announced “soon”

Tuesday, 2nd August 2011 11:56 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Borderlands 2 is set to get its formal announcement soon, according to a just-published Eurogamer report.

The Gearbox sequel, long speculated about and rumoured since time itself began – or at least since the first game came out – will come out next year on PS3, 360 and PC, according to EG.

The Texan developer currently has its plate full at the moment. In June, it released Duke Nukem Forever after 14 years in dev hell, with DLC support also inbound. It also has Aliens: Colonial Marines from Sega and Brothers in Arms: Furious Four from Ubisoft due for next year.

Gearbox creative director Mikey Neumann told VG247 around the time of the original’s launch that a sequel was a “no-brainer.”

1. Blerk

Ridiculously excited about this! The first one is one of my favourite games of this generation. :-D

2. viralshag

Goooooood stuff! Get working on it Gearbox!

I’m also really looking forward to Aliens:CM.

3. RandomTiger

I did like Borderlands but this is going to need to be a serious step up.
    Sort out the grind and have a proper ending this time please.

4. viralshag

@3 Get out! –>

;)

5. Blerk

I want more types of loot this time, not just guns.

6. LOLshock94

hopefully this time it will have a million guns and not just 50 guns are sumit

7. loki

Boring

8. viralshag

@5, For a moment I thought you were saying “needs more guns” and I was about to say “you’re effing crazy”.

I would like to see a bit more variety and customization in the cosmetic sense for the characters. It doesn’t have to be too crazy like Brink, but some of the styling from that game would fit in well with Borderlands.

9. Maximum Payne

Borderlands was release 2009 so Borderlands 2 in 2012 sound just right.
    If they add lot RPG stuff like talking to NPC,armor loot and better quests that is going to be superb!

10. Erthazus

Borderlands was a neat concept, but the execution was HORRIBLE.

game was boring as hell. When i played the game…. I just shot shit and thats it.

Quests were: go there, kill that and bring me that.

Just… ewww…

11. Blerk

I totally, completely and utterly disagree. :-)

@8, more guns would be nice too!

12. Christopher Jack

One of my favourite games this generation. Simple but still fun.

13. drewbles82

loved the first, still playing it with the gf who loves it to. Got the game of the year edition so prob would wait for that one.
    Only thing i didnt like what the 4player co-op issue.

We had 4 players ready to go, split screened by cant system link the two or even go online and join in that way, so frustrating cuz i dont like playing with strangers,i like to play games with my friends but not every1 has got an xbox, internet, copy of the game, xboxlive gold etc.

14. BULArmy

More variation in loot, not so repetitive landscapes, more NPCs, voice-over and not so abysmal ending and the sequel is a day one buy for me.

15. DSB

Awesome news, bring it.

16. Moonwalker1982

Niiiiiiiiice. Loved the first one, i played on my own, not co-op and still loved it. I still regret that i sold it.

17. Erthazus

I could not finish it without my friend. It’s so boring in my opinion.

18. Lewis247

With the guns in the original it showed a metric fuck tonne of customization with the different guns… except you couldn’t actually do the customizing. Would really love it if you could still get the ready made different guns but also parts, you know so you can alter the appearance of your current gun and up it’s stats and so on, A bit of mixing and matching.

So excited if the second one does come out next year, the first is absolutely outstanding. Really love it.

19. Maximum Payne

@17 For me its like Diablo I played first time alone and for me it was great.If they could only add Stalker/Metro atmosphere :)

20. deathgaze

I guess this means I have to finish the first one now. I’ve been putting it off.

21. freedoms_stain

I liked Borderlands. I only in the last few weeks went back and did all the DLC after buying it on the cheap at the end of last year. Need to get me to Level 61 and defeat Crawmerax The Invincible! so I can has all the achievements too.

In Borderlands 2 I’d like to see a more integrated story line – in Borderlands I distinctly recall having “why am I doing this again?” moments. Better AI – lets face it, the AI in Borderlands is pretty much atrocious. Weapon Customisation similar to what @18 said, it’d be cool if you could build weapons by salvaging parts from other guns, that’d keep collecting loot a bit more interesting later in the game. Bit more variety in the environments – The desert canyon look has very much been covered.

22. drewbles82

With all the weapon collecting, id like it if you had like a locker or something that you could store stuff in, rather than sell and buy it back.

23. DSB

Borderlands had no story, but if it had tried, it certainly would’ve failed. Trying to shape a running narrative around four people is a huge task, and I think they were right to go for scale and core gameplay instead.

The only pity is that it was so often a numbers game. You didn’t really defeat enemies by virtue of doing anything at all, you defeated them with an index of firepower and level.

I guess you could call it an “arcade vibe” but with four people, you really have the opportunity to do some awesome things. You could have one guy playing as a sniper going for the high ground, a rogue flanking around while the berzerker keeps everyone busy. The possibilities are truly endless.

If only the enemies would somehow indulge that. It’s all well and good to do the hack and slash formula, but really they have the possibility for so much more than that.

24. Telepathic.Geometry

Great news. Loved the original, platted it and everything.

25. Gadzooks!

Awesome news, Borderlands is right up there in my favourite games this gen. Played it through 4 times, all the DLC too!

26. klewd

didn’t they just announce brothers in arms furious 4 which looks to be the same thing? either way, doesn’t this mean they’re working on 3 games simultanously now? sounds very…obsidian entertainment to me. rather have 1 great game than 3 mediocre ones.

27. Edo

The first one was rough around the edges but overall good.Ending though,was one of the most anti-climatic of all time and the character customization was very sub par.Majority of the people defended this game’s ridiculous amount of the enemy respawning but there was no place for it in the missions that you have finished.

28. Telepathic.Geometry

Best thing about the first one was the humour. I agree though that character customisation would go a long way. More eridian weapons too. Doesn’t really matter though, because this guy’s already buying Borderlands 2. Maybe this time I can get into the real vault and get some decent fucking eridian weapons.

29. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Never played the original but heard a lot of positive about it. I did enjoy Fallout 3 and looking forward to RAGE. Is Borderlands at all like Fallout 3, better, worse?

30. Maximum Payne

@29 Well Fallout is RPG with FPS elements and Borderlands is FPS with RPG elements :D

31. DSB

@29 Think of Diablo as a first person shooter, with pretty much all the trappings.

I think how much you like it kinda depends on how much coop you’re able to play, and how much you love shooting stuff and drooling at loot.

It has no real depth, no real story, it’s just extremely simple. Big wasteland full of stuff to shoot for a blurry chick. Love it or hate it I guess, and for the very same reasons usually :)

32. mattyc4

Earlier the better. This sequel has so much potential. I’ve played the original til my eyes bled.

Mechanics refinement/upgrades, a graphics update, and more loot are what I’m looking for…not a ton of changes or a huge departure.

33. Krono

I agree with most –

A better story, more npc’s and interactivity within towns would be nice. A change in landscapes (I mean could you imagine killing pirates walking underwater even if it makes no logical sense). More character customization and more classes. And dueling needs to be fixed up an incredible amount.