Witcher 2′s 360 version pushed back to Q1 2012

Monday, 1st August 2011 10:02 GMT By Johnny Cullen

CD Projekt’s confirmed it’s delaying The Witcher 2 for Xbox 360 into Q1 2012.

The console version of the RPG, which first launched back in May for PC via Namco Bandai, was originally due to release near the end of the year from THQ. Not to be, though.

CDP said the delay was down to giving more polish to the game, but also in regards to the company’s ongoing legal battle with Namco over the publishing of the 360 version.

“The extra time will allow us to polish the title to perfection, so that the game offers an ideally balanced, fantastic experience to gamers. As the launch of the game approaches, we will be sharing more details how it will be released on Xbox 360. I trust that despite the release date shift, players will be satisfied with what we are planning for them,” said studio boss Adam Kicinski.

CD Projekt also said it would show a video on “major DLC” that will form part of an “upcoming, as-yet-unannounced update” for the PC version at gamescom.

1. StolenGlory

Fine with me.

Far too much stuff to be playing at the end of this year anyway including Skyrim.

2. Maximum Payne

Well…Now Witcher 2 is potentially going to compete with Mass Effect 3.

3. Blerk

Not too concerned about this. I still really want it, but there’s a decent handful of other games that I want just as much in Q4 so I’m happy to wait until this is done. Of course, if the others suddenly start dropping like flies as well then we might have more of a problem.

4. Talkar

Well The Witcher is an RPG title whereas Mass Effect is a shooter title. So for any gamer who is old enough, to have played PnP games are going to appreciate The Witcher more than Mass Effect. (Mind you, i have nothing against Mass Effect, i enjoyed the first two games, but they hardly qualify as being RPG’s).

5. Erthazus

Gets pushed? something tells me that it’s going to be cancelled.

6. StolenGlory

Nah, I don’t think so. The game is actually pretty far along by all accounts. I think it was purely a financial/strategical move to avoid the Q4 crunch which of course would have put it up against Skyrim.

7. Erthazus

@6, oh yeah… December this year is so crunch.

It’s the same thing that happened with Witcher 1 basically.

8. Gekidami

They say what its due to; “The company’s ongoing legal battle with Namco over the publishing of the 360 version.”

9. StolenGlory

December would have been a bad period to release the game in still, simply because Skyrim (and others) would still be extremely prolific and people’s funds would be running out/stretched.

I also don’t think this is anything like the Witcher 1/Rise of the Wolf debacle because at least this time we have seen some in-game footage of the game which has been demonstrated to the public and (unlike last time) CDP seem very upbeat about the console version.

10. StolenGlory

D’oh, I missed that :)

Still, the side-effects of a little extra polish and moving it to Q1 next year isn’t exactly going to hurt them.

11. Talkar

I know i’m going to spend my time playing SWToR, Batman, Skyrim, BF3 and Heroes 6, it’s going to be a tough last quarter year x)

12. Gekidami

Indeed. Overall the game has fairly decent word of mouth, but its no where near as big (or probably as good, honestly) as Skyrim. So moving it well out of the way of that bullet can only be a good thing.

13. StolenGlory

Indeed my Q4 is RAMMED.

I have the following games that will be arguing over what meagre amounts of spare time i’ll have over that period:

Battlefield 3 (360/PC)
    Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Skyrim
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    Uncharted 3
    Batman: Arkham City

So yeah, it’s a bloody good thing that it doesn’t come out this year if i’m honest :)

14. Moonwalker1982

Not surprised at all, i simply didn’t see this one coming out at the same time as Skyrim. And just as StolenGlory said…around that time it’s FULL of amazing games, so this is not a bad thing at all. However…if you think about it, even if it did come out…you don’t have to buy it right away, nobody is forcing you. That’s the strange thing, instead of just buying Gears 3, Skyrim and Batman (for example) and letting the rest wait for later, people buy ALL of them. Me included…;)

15. Erthazus

@13, “Battlefield 3 (360/PC)
    Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Skyrim
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    Uncharted 3
    Batman: Arkham City”

all games that you listed are basicallly august, October and a bit of November.

Basically December is out. There is a place for the release date and a big one. There are a lot of games released in December and sold very well. January or December, it does not matter.

16. StolenGlory

“all games that you listed are basicallly august, October and a bit of November.”

None of those games are due in August.

“SW:TOR is not going to be this year 100% and probably MW3 and Battlefield 3 are the only multiplayer games are worth in your list. If you are a hardcore mltiplayer gamer you are probably going to stick with one game for a month.”

I refuse to believe that ‘hardcore’ multiplayer gamers (christ, I hate that term) are going to stick with one game for a month. Erthazus, you of all people should know that you a game like Battlefield 3, will keep you occupied in multiplayer for a lot longer than a single month.

Ditto for CoD:MW3 depending on your mileage.

“So basically here is a battle between developer and publisher or plans for making Witcher 3 and a big cancel for Xbox 360.”

I’m quite sure that a third Witcher is on the cards, but I don’t see it as being developed at the expense of the 360 version of The Witcher 2; given of course how far down the road they are with the development of the title.

“By the time Wither 2 is going to be ready for the next year on consoles, no one is going to care about it. It’s the same thing like with Assassins Creed 2 or Brotherhood which was released after few months for a PC. No one cared anymore.”

Your comparison holds no water because console owners just don’t have very many RPG’s like The Witcher 2 on their machines at all. As a result and given the developer/title pedigree, i’m sure most will be prepared to wait; especially in the wake of a litany of disappointing RPG’s such as Risen, Fable 3 etc…

17. Blerk

Witcher 2′s success on 360 will pretty much entirely depend on how well they market it. There’ll be a small bunch of people who already know it from the PC but didn’t have the kit to run it that’ll pick it up without question, but everything else is pretty much unknown territory.

If they don’t plaster it all over the place it’ll likely not do very well. I’m more confident of THQ doing a half-decent marketing job with it than Atari, though.

All they need to do is knock together a 30 second telly advert full of gore and tits and they’ll be onto a winner, I’m sure. :-D

18. StolenGlory

“All they need to do is knock together a 30 second telly advert full of gore and tits and they’ll be onto a winner, I’m sure.”

That in actuality, would likely be pretty sodding accurate :)

19. Blerk

I could work in marketing, me.

20. StolenGlory

“I could work in marketing, me.”

Oh no question. You’d be the darling of the Daily Mail too.

21. Maximum Payne

@19 That brainiac isn’t it ? :D

22. Erthazus

@17, oh yeah… You just described the worst marketing campaign company evar.

THQ that published unique game like METRO 2033 on 360 which failed in the end and i saw a lot of marketing campaign behind it. (If you remember there were a ton of marketing stuff on VG247) :D

Marketing won’t help much + it’s not a shooter that are very popular on 360. Games like that must come out in time.

Same thing with RISEN (RPG) for 360 that was pretty much a failure from both companies (Publisher and developer.) Cheap Port + not so great marketing campaign.

@Stolengory, “None of those games are due in August.”

Yeah, sorry. I forgot that batman: arkham City is in October… :D
    Still, you get october and just a november.

But then august and September, especially september (only Gears 3) is pretty much empty. There are a lot of space to release this thing in Q3-4. Little competition with SKYRIM never hurts.

“Your comparison holds no water because console owners just don’t have very many RPG’s like The Witcher 2 on their machines at all”

23. StolenGlory

“Yeah, sorry. I forgot that batman: arkham City is in October…”

No worries :)

“same goes with FPS games like METRO 2033 which was a good game and pretty much failed on the 360.”

Yeah it goes back to what Blerk was saying really in that it all comes down to decent marketing. Metro failed on the consoles because the FPS genre is extremely saturated and top-heavy (CoD/Halo/Battlefield), levaing very little room for anything else. Like Metro though, Witcher 2 needs to be marketed properly or it will fade into the same sort of obscurity.

24. Blerk

But it has knobbing in it. Did Metro have knobbing?

Such a marketing campaign would indeed be the ‘worst thing ever’ because you would be promoting the game for all the wrong reasons. Unfortunately, most people don’t care about deep and complex RPGs.

But show them some knockers and a few decapitations and you’d no doubt encourage a whole bunch of people to buy it just for that (and then trade it two days later, describing it as ‘fucking boring’, but who cares – you’ve got their money by then). If you can get it into the OUTRAGE tabloids off the back of it then all the better.

It’s a sad indication of gaming today really, isn’t it?

25. StolenGlory

It is indeed.

26. absolutezero

Metro has you being propsitioned by a hooker, if you choose to follow her you get beaten up by her pimp, who then steals your money/bullets.

Its a life lesson.

27. Blerk

Man, we’ve all been there!

Taxi!

28. Panipal2005

I didn’t think THQ would want to release it at the same time as Saints Row The Third either.

29. RandomTiger

Looking forward to this, its one of just a handful of titles that made me sad not to be a PC gamer any more. I hope they don’t have to cut any content to get it on console.

30. DSB

I think it’s a shame if a game like that gets buried on consoles, it certainly wouldn’t do much for the console crowds reputation of shunning anything halfway intelligent.

Metro was a weird mix of Stalker somehow trying to cram itself into a corridor shooter. I thought it was pretty good, but I wouldn’t blame anyone for being terribly bored with it, whether on PC or consoles. It was far from a sure thing.

@24 I think the real strength of the game is that it has all of that, without having to cram it in there just to check the box.

Just look at this:

It’s the launch trailer with an unofficial soundtrack, but really, any gamer who can watch that and not want to play the game, is either deaf, blind or stupid.

31. Maximum Payne

@30 Agree that song is so amazing and fit so well with Wither universe.
    Remind me of Alone in the Dark what a great game

32. joshua nash

and so it begins, now i shall sit back and watch as either they announce that xbox360 witcher is actually both the first and the second game release as one huge game or they announce that yet again they have decided to can the idea of a witcher game coming out on consoles, i hope more for the first option to be true then the seoond, though i’m hoping that they also announce a PS3 version aswell, not cause i’m a PS3 owner but because i think that this game is just to great, to awesome to confine to one console i want the devs to get this game into as many gamer’s hands as humanly possible so that we can all bask in the everloving awesomeness of this game, now can i get an amen

33. Christopher Jack

Good, there’s too many other games I want/am interested in & the previous one was pretty bad in my opinion, this will give it some time to keep the hype while I’ve got some spare cash again.

34. Moonwalker1982

I refuse to believe that Witcher 2 might get cancelled. I believe they are quite far into the development process already and they said it’s going great, so i don’t see a cancellation.

35. DSB

@33 The first one was pretty terrible, but you don’t have to read a lot of reviews to see that this is an entirely different game.

I’m surprised that it rang up as many 8′s as it did, compared to recent games in the genre, which aren’t really designed half as well.

For me it’s the best RPG since the first Mass Effect.

36. Noodlemanny

Ahhh sad face. My PC has quite alot of trouble with this game so can’t really play it very well.

37. Talkar

I think your the first person i heard of the didn’t like the first game x)

38. bpcgos

What worries me much for this console version –if it was marketed in a wrong way as a gory hack and slash gametype– that it will ruin CD projekt rep in front of console gamer since it’s difficulty quite punishing (died many times just to pass its prologue chapter because I was just hacking and slashing for my very 1st time) and wont get them more cash instead of losing it because of its console development cost.

But, I heard they’re gonna lowering its difficulty though. So, I think that was a fair cut for console market!

39. Moonwalker1982

A friend told me that he’s missing a medium difficulty. He says Normal is just too hard at times, they throw huge amounts of enemies at you and it’s very punishing indeed. But easy is exactly as it says….ridiculously easy.

40. DSB

@37 Then you definitely haven’t been looking. The game didn’t have a combat system and it seemed to me like they were trying to create a corridor MMORPG, for a singleplayer game. It was terrible :P

@39 Really what makes it so damn hard is the fact that the game does absolutely nothing to teach you how to play.

I didn’t even realize all my signs were unlocked for the first fight, nor what they did differently from the first game. You’re essentailly tossed out there to die trying.

Once you realize the different strengths and weaknesses of signs against certain enemies, it’s really not that bad on normal difficulty.

Unforgiving, but ultimately I think that’s very rewarding.

41. Christopher Jack

@40, Completely agreed, that was my biggest gripe with the original.