Hard Reset gets a new video, explanation for PC-exclusivity

Saturday, 30th July 2011 17:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Flying Wild Hog has released another video for its cyberpunk, first-person shooter Hard Reset. The game is coming exclusively to PC, and while that may be disappointing to console users, the studio has said there is a valid reason why it’s a PC-only affair.

Speaking in an interview with Gamespot, the studio’s CEO Michal Szustak said the reason Hard Reset will only be release on PC is because it is easier for a new studio to make a single-platform game.

“We really wanted to create and use our own tech,” said Szustak. “Our engine was built with one thought–to be used in a first-person shooter that uses lots of physics and destruction, with outstanding graphics and also optimized to do the job well. There are many games published on PCs that are just ports from consoles, and we all know that today the power of a current-gen console is similar to a four- to five-year-old PC.

“If you want to show some amazing graphics, it’s better and easier to develop the game for PCs. Also, in the era of movie-like shooters almost ‘on rails,’ with player-environment interaction as limited as possible, we wanted to create a game for old-school PC players, raised on all those forgotten Dooms, Quakes, and Painkillers.”

Szustak goes on to say work on Hard Reset started back in April 2009, and the reason the firm decided to show-off the game so close to release, was to avoid “two or three years of hyping.”

“Why reveal so late? We believe that players don’t like those two or three years of hyping, with lots of web site counters and teasing all the same assets,” he explained. “And after three years of waiting you finally get information saying the game will show up half a year later than promised! Then, after those six months, two more months of waiting! Personally, I really hate it.

“So we decided to show our game when it’s ready. When it’s literally done. No postponements. We want the players to trust us, and we will do our best to get them good games in the future.”

Hard Reset is slated for a September release. Watch the video below, which shows some in-game footage along with flashes of the cool cinematics seen in the previously released teaser.

Thanks, Edo.

1. OrbitMonkey

Good for them, hope it sells a bucket load :)

2. DarkElfa

I’m gonna buy it just to support this kind of effort between a developers and their customers.

3. xino

@2 good luck with that.
    I’m such other 70% will not care and torrent the hell out of the game.

devs should have just sticked to consoles:)

4. Overdos3

Thank you for your retard comment :).

5. Gekidami

I’ll get it a year after release, on console (or its sequel, whatever). If its any good, of course.

6. Erthazus

Industry need to wake up from arrogant children like @2,

and create original games for the PC. Since this generation games in 90% stagnated with:

1) crappy 6 year old visuals
    2) Crappy AI
    3) Ports
    4) 5-6 year old physics
    5) linear games in most cases with old running and gunning gameplay from 1999

PS: I will support this game, i don’t know if Polish developers can do something decent in FPS area.

7. lkm

Erthazus@ do you know why its like this? because 60-70% of pc gamers today don’t have the money to buy the same pc you have! Stop complaining!!!

8. endgame

Erth does have a point. supporting devs just because they have good intentions (or because they have the same intentions that u do) is wrong. I’ve just bought E.Y.E. and I got burned. that game is so old. graphics r bad but I could live with that if only the lvl design and the gameplay wouldn’t have been so bad. I was so desperate to play a good shooter and I just didn’t know what. oh why does Deus Ex have to come out so late in the month!? :((

9. YoungZer0

@6: “Polish developers can do something decent in FPS area.”

Your stupidity knows no boundaries, does it? That’s the third time i see you complaining about Polish Developers. Might want to shut up.

10. Freek

Could we all please just stop feeding the trol? An ignore button would help, but we can first just stop responding to the pointless flame baiting that is turning VG247 into a horrible place where no sane discussion is possible.

11. Edo

They are risking a lot with this game(no MP,late announcement)and yes,Flying Wild Hog definitely deserves support simply for daring to do something that other many grabbing developers are not!
    P.S.You are most welcome :) .

12. Ge0force

I’m looking forward to this game! I really enjoy a “real” shooter without casual aids (health generation, automatic cover system, golden trail etc.)

13. _LarZen_

Im ready! Got my Nvidia 590 today, so bring it! :D

14. jacobvandy

E.Y.E. is fantastic. Played it for like 4 hours straight last night, had to stop myself to go to sleep. It’s an indie game based on the Source engine, BTW, if you were expecting AAA for $18 you’re a bit daft.

I’m looking forward to Hard Reset, as well. People Can Fly + CD Projekt RED is enough to interest me, but their respect for the PC platform and of course the game itself puts it over the top.

15. blackdreamhunk

sweet sweet i will buy it :)

16. triggerhappy

September?? Thats next month. Nearly. When I first heard about this last week I thought it was years off. Definitely interested.

17. Hybridpsycho

I will definetly try this. I hope they market it properly the upcoming month though, if not they can lose quite alot on it.

@7 A good Gaming PC is NOT expensive, and you’ll save quite alot over time since the games normally cost less than half of what the console games do, ESPECIALLY if they’ve been out for 1-3 months.

Also, I do like the idea that they’re announcing this so late. As I said earlier though I hope they can market it enough to get some word out their quickly at least.

I think they’ll sell a bit more since people now will go like “oooh, I want this game.” and not having to wait 12-24 months for it is a huge positive (not enough time to change your mind ;p ).

@Erthazus

You really gotta stop being so negative though mate, you act like those stupid movie critics you see on TV-shows “Lord of the Rings was NOT A good movie, but this old movie with a shitty hidden message was really good for several reasons!”

Not sure if you’re exactly like that, but that’s how you come off imo. Also, if you’re looking for innovation, look amongst the Indie games man. Even free ones, you really need to try more games it seems.

I’m a to-be game-designer myself and there’s some really awesome shit being created by people I know. :)

18. ovi

i dont care about the game, probably its a decent FPS nothing more. but i will support the shit out oft this, because the man is right.

19. The Evil Pope

Why wouldn’t they make this a PC exclusive, it’s the best platform out there. Period.