EA seeing “very poor returns” for 3D gaming, says Riccitiello

Friday, 29th July 2011 10:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

EA CEO John Riccitiello said in a call last night that the company has not seen any interest for 3D gaming.

Speaking to shareholders at a meeting, which was streamed online, Riccitiello said that it’d like to allocate resources currently on 3D for social features, which is currently seeing a “high” uptake.

“Frankly, we have not seen a big uptake for 3D gaming,” he said, via Gamasutra. “We haven’t seen a big uptake for 3D televisions in the home, at least not yet. And we’re not here trying to drive the market, we’re here to react to what consumers are looking for.”

Riccitiello did say that 3D games on a 2D display could “provide the greatest entertainment experience,” and that, for “a lot of us,” the experience would be more gratifying than playing it in 3D.

“We’ve seen really high returns here, and very poor returns focusing on 3D. So our allocation of resources have been toward the new innovations that are growing more rapidly.”

1. naffgeek

I am really interested in the whole 3D emergence (or lack of).

I just don’t think the technology is good enough yet, most TV’s still have crosstalk and I still get it at the cinema when stuff moves fast (that maybe due to post processing though).

Avatar looks to be a lonely example of what could have been had the studios not just seen it as a cash cow and slapped it on everything.

Even my friend who was obsessed with 3D is beginning to suggest we avoid the 3D versions of movies now.

This coupled with the poor results for the 3DS suggest that it’s going to be another fad like the last time it came around.

2. jnms

Totally agree with you naffgeek.

I suspect it will continue to be pushed in the cinemas – and the technology may well improve there.

But I really see 3D as being a complete failure in the home. People just don’t want it. The 3DS is another good example (I know there are other factors there such as iPhones and whatnot – but if people wanted 3D that much they would go out of their way to get it).

3. dtyk

I adopted 3d way back when 3d vision was first released from nvidia. All I can say is that (as above mentioned) when done right, 3d is absolutely gorgeous. Batman: AA in 3d look amazing. Same with Metro 2033.

However, as mentioned above, the current tech can’t keep up with it. Metro lags like a champ on full setting in 3d even on the fastest cards when I played a year ago. I don’t know about now though.

I still believe 3d is the next step, but people have to build a project from ground up with 3d in mind.

4. viralshag

I agree with the above and I hope that the recent decline in 3D box office sales helps the movie industry to either move on from 3D or seriously invest in the tech to make it truly amazing.

At the moment, I try to avoid 3D versions as the colours are always drab, dark and blurry.

5. xino

why?
    because most devs are just putting on 3d effects for the sack of 3d library, not enough are putting enough work into the 3d to give a wow effect feeling.

also how many owns 3d tv?

6. G1GAHURTZ

“3D” gaming is not 3D, it’s pants.

7. blackdreamhunk

that is cause 3d can kill your eye site if you play for too long.

8. daytripper

i feel nauseous with 3D, i went to see transformers dark of the moon and felt ropey afterwards, the film was pretty dire aswell.