Ubisoft says its DRM “is a success” due to reduction in piracy

Thursday, 28th July 2011 20:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A Ubisoft representative has told PC Gamer it has seen “a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success.” This is thanks to the firm’s use of “always on” DRM for PC games, which was first used with The Settlers 7, but didn’t cause too much of an uproar until Assassin’s Creed 2 came out on the system due to shaky internet connections and server issues causing game log outs or loss of saves. Ubisoft clarified earlier reports which stated From Dust on PC would require the DRM, and informed VG247 that the single-player portion of the game would not make use of the DRM.

1. Giskard

Something tells me they’re pulling numbers out of their ass.

2. DSB

Of course they are. Now they’ve put money into it, and they can’t just throw it away :P

3. GrimRita

I guess it deems what a ‘success’ is. Clearly Ubi have low standards. I dont think gamers have an issue with DRM as such (just look at Steam) but its how you come across in addressing the issue that turns you into a monster.

By kicking those who purchase games right in the balls, and then letting the pirates win again is not how to do business.

4. JimFear-666

i still remember the epic fail of ubisoft when assassin creed server was attacked and no one could play at assassin creed.
    They are a bunch of epic morons.

5. Freek

Only the people who buy the game legally suffer for it. Pirated versions are nice and clean.
    Why would I want to pay you for the inferior version?? What is this, oposite world???

6. Edo

What!?!?!

7. jnms

Surely to be a success an increase in sales would be needed.

“A reduction in piracy” is not the same thing is it? That doesn’t get them increased profits – it just means less copies on the torrent networks…

8. loki

Just lol
    if only DRM “is a sux” due to reduction in piracy
    Ubi are you blind idiots?

9. Fin

Well if they aimed to reduce piracy, and they managed to do that, that’s a success for them.

10. Lightmanone

I hardly can believe the accuracy of that claim. I even think that there are more copies on the internet because of the DRM then before, because, I personally wouldn’t buy the game myself and download it. BECAUSE the bought version has DRM. I will NOT condome DRM >.>

11. DSB

@9 The company is trading at half of what it was trading for a year ago. Obviously DRM isn’t helping anything.

And how would it? It doesn’t hold back pirates at all, Ubisofts games are freely available to anyone who wants them, exactly as any game completely without DRM.

If they’ve seen an increase in sales, and they figure that’s down to DRM, then that’s simply not accurate.

The only thing it effects is people like me who might want to buy games like Settlers or Silent Hunter, leaving them well alone, because I don’t want to be punished for doing the right thing.

12. T_L_T

I reckon they’ve also had a clear reduction in sales too.

13. Fin

I don’t understand why your point is relevant to mine. They didn’t say “we wanted to push up our stock price”.

Look, I’ll even quote the article:
    “[they have seen] a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success.

They said they wanted to reduce piracy of their games. They say they reduced the piracy of their games.
    How is that not what they wanted to achieve?

I remember hearing/reading somewhere the main objective of anti-piracy is just to stop people pirating before the game’s released. If they manage to get more sales cos people can’t pirate it, and go buy it instead, more power t’em.
    If you don’t like it, vote with your wallet, don’t pirate. If you pirate a game that has DRM, you’re just encouraging them to put more in the next release.

14. DSB

@13 Well if it in any way made a notable difference to their business, then you could expect the markets to respond favorably. Losing half of your value in a year tends to mean that you’re doing something wrong, and obviously this isn’t the great boon they’re trying to market it as.

Furthermore, there’s no proof that they actually reduced the piracy of their games. Obviously they’ll have spent a lot of money on the system, so it’s not as if they’re about to go out and admit defeat, to take an even bigger hit from the market.

Actually, buying their games would be the very definition of encouraging them. DRM has failed for at least 20 years now, and I don’t blame anyone for taking the pirates up on the offer of a better package, than Ubisoft allows itself provide. They have no one to blame but themselves.

15. TJP75

Post #5 is spot on.

Buy a legit copy for the PC and experience the joys of DRM related headaches. Get the pirated version without the DRM and enjoy the better experience(such as offline play).

Cheers.

16. silkvg247

Bought settlers 7 the other day. It’s a great game, and tbh the online stuff that ties itno it is quite nice and offers replay value.

BUT.

I did not like the mandatory process of having to create an account and log in to play. This is not an mmo, so I don’t really see why online is required. It should be optional, and those who go online will benefit from the extra goodies (which is incentive to buy the game, not pirate it).

Ubisoft and others need to stop forcing paying customers to put up with their DRM. It ONLY affects non-pirates. Jesus, isn’t that obvious?

I sometimes wish I had some sway in all this shinanigans because the “answer” to piracy is quite obvious to me:

1, No DRM
    2, CD key not required for install or offline play
    3, User may register online with their CD key
    4, If user logs in, there are extra features, goodies, levels, free DRM, achievements, that kind of thing.
    5, Reward system for registering games. A free game? Exclusive T shirts/mugs/crap we love to collect?

So what are the benefits? No need to spend on DRM or anti piracy measures. Happy and content paying customers. Pirates who can play your game offline and tell their mates how good it is, who tell their mates how good it is = SALES.

Not seeing any negatives. Unfortunately I can only assume the people behind DRM know nothing about games or gamers, because a more “wrong” approach would be hard to find.

I have similar thoughts to films and piracy. Yes film companies, here take my money, you are most welcome. And thanks for the 5 minutes of unskippable anti-piracy ads that I have to sit through, which pirates never even see.

17. Lewis247

Then why isn’t a success with the fans? Everywhere I look everyone hates it including myself. Fucking idiots need to learn this is a stupid scheme.

I don’t understand it, it’s like they are trying to tackle piracy for pc games when weird last time I checked you can illegally download xbox 360 and ps3 games and they don’t have a DMR on them…

DMR has seriously put me off even considering becomingmore of a pc gamer.

18. DSB

It’s essentially the first Settlers game since II that’s worth playing. Or would be worth playing, if it wasn’t for the DRM.