Humble Indie Bundle 3 earns more than $500,000 in less than 17 hours

Wednesday, 27th July 2011 20:51 GMT By Debabrata Nath

The third Humble Indie Bundle has broken all records scoring over 105,000 purchases in just under 17 hours of being put on sale. That’s more than $500,000 paid out in total for the pack containing five awesome indie games.

When we say record breaker, we aren’t kidding, the most recent Humble Bundle featuring a bunch of Frozenbyte games which was put on sale in April took more than 48 hours to rake in $500,000 off 100,000 bundle sales.

The bundle features Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, VVVVVV, And Yet It Moves and Hammerfight, all solid indie titles in their own right.

There’s still 13 days before the sale ends and one can only imagine how much it’ll accumulate during that period, but this is as good a start as any. Expect some goodies to be thrown in as the bundle crosses the one million mark as it has been a trend seen in all the previous humble bundles.

Part of the proceeds collected from this sale goes towards Child’s Play and Electronic Frontier Foundation, with the remaining amount being shared by the developers and the organisers. You decide who gets what and how much you want to pay.

If you’re yet to splurge, here’s the link.

Thanks, Joystiq

1. LarsWestergren

Blimey. The Wolfire guys pretty much decide who gets to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars. The indie studios must be falling over each other trying to get included in the next Humble Bundle.

Good work. This time I think I’ll skip though since I already own all the games.

2. DSB

I read an article saying that 25% of the people downloading these bundles are in fact pirates.

That’s incredibly depressing :p

I don’t own Hammerfight, I reckon I’ll give it a go.

*EDIT*

3. minxamo

I doubt it, the average amount people give is pitiful, and lots of people steal it outright, which not only gives nothing to the developers, but costs them by using their servers to download the games.

4. onlineatron

Owned Crayon Physics and VVVVVV, but these Humble Bundles are too good a thing to pass up on. Bought.

5. jiangjiang

stomers are on bag solesocial media,our work is very good and I appreciate you clothes upThank you for sharing great information to us.

6. LarsWestergren

I know there are lots of assholes who only give $0.01, but the average at time of writing is $4.84.

>Once a game has been on the humble indie bundle, the sales would drop pretty dramatically.

Not necessarily? Frozenbyte games which have been on daily deals on Steam after the previous sale have still sold well.

7. GrimRita

This is why I love the new era of digital downloads. itunes and Steam are leading the way when it comes to supporting the indie, which is probably why companies like EA ‘blame T&Cs’ for withdrawing their products.

All too often pirating gets the blame but the reality is, people wont buy the shit forced down our throats.

8. DSB

@6 The weird thing about fringe and indie developers is that some people are actually prone to buying their games several times over.

I’ve seen members of flight sim communities who make it a case to buy a 60 dollar game three times over, simply because it’s the best there is in a dying genre.

It’s admirable, but there’s no way I’d do it unless I got an offer like this one.