EA Sports convinced Wii U can “do anything” PS3 and 360 can do, and vice versa

Wednesday, 27th July 2011 16:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA Sports’ Andrew Wilson is convinced Wii U can do “anything” PS3 and Xbox 360 can do, thanks to dev kits showing the firm and idea of the console’s power.

Speaking in an interview with Eurogamer, Wilson said every time a “new piece of hardware and every new development library,” shows up at the studio, it gives the teams a “greater understanding,” of the console.

“With our early research we had been very happy with the output of the box and we expect that that will only go up moving forward,” said Wilson. “There are added challenges for us as developers when you think about rendering on two screens and what that might mean, but we’re looking forward to that challenge.

“It’s still moving, but I think we’ll be able to do anything that we can do on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on the Wii U.”

Wilson goes on to say EA is working very closing with Nintendo with online, and has been since early on.

“We are highlighting to them what we believe are the most important elements to that infrastructure to deliver a connected experience that we think is the future of gaming,” he explained.

“They have demonstrated an openness and willingness to work with us and work with developers that I think will only land us in a positive place. We’re working through the development with them now. We have a series of people who are under very strict NDAs as you can imagine, operating with them, building that system out.”

Wii U is slated for release sometime after April 2012.

1. naffgeek

Except get a steady flow of great third party software out for it I imagine.

The Wii was the last straw for me.

2. manamana

…Wii U can “do anything” PS3 and 360 can do…

Really a surprise seeing PS360 at the near end of their lifecycles, oh well.

3. alimokrane

Oh wow, Nintendo must be pretty pleased with these comments then, given that a yet-to-be released console is able to do the same quality of graphics as 5 year old consoles … what an unrivalled achievement for Nintendo, indeed.

4. Lewis247

It hurts my brain thinking about the wii u…

WHAT THE FUCK WERE NINTENDO THINKING?????

If they were going to release a next gen console, they might of wanted to make it a fucking next gen console! All I see so far is a console that can just do what was done 6 years back… Fucking hell, I hope nobody is fooled into buying one of these unless it has a decent library. I mean I think it was such a cheap shot at keeping the wii brand going. MONEY. MONEY. MONEY….

The screen controller is nice but hardly revolutionary or something that will completely innovate the gaming industry.

Let’s be honest this console will look like the wii did against the 360 and ps3 when the real next gen comes along. Back to square fucking one.

Why the fuck would you do this nintendo… why?

5. Clupula

Exactly. When the PS4 and whatever the next X-box system is called come out, the Wii U is going to look like the Wii.

6. Lewis247

@5 Yup, in an attempt to get up to date they literally just throw themselves back to square one. It’s so shocking obvious, I hate to even see what they are doing. I hope the wii u bombs just so they get slapped out of thinking they can sponge off the wii brand and keep making shitty stuff. Bring back the inovation in design like the old consoles did. The wii and wii u are just stupid plain white boxes..

7. Dannybuoy

Lest we not forget all the wii owners out there who’ll see the Wii U and go ‘ooh, a next generation Wii, I loved the Wii, this looks great with its iPad controller. I’m gonna upgrade’. They will lap up the now gen graphics.

8. Gama_888

@6 there hoping to hit another gold mine like the Wii. The new controller made it one of the fastest selling consoles ever and there hoping for a repeat.

Iv bin saying since day 1 that Wiiu is going to bomb :)

@7 i really dont think they will. But only time will tell i guess :)

9. TVs Everywhere

How sad is it that developers out there (both consumers and developers) who speak of being excited to use a new console that uses technology from 2005?

This is beyond pathetic for Nintendo. At least with the Wii they took everyone’s mind off of the then-5-year-old hardware with the waggle gimmick. And now they’re just touting console capabilities, etc. on the Wii U, especially with how underpowered it is at this day and age? That’s pretty stupid.

Nintendo was given success on a platter by announcing the Wii U this far ahead of MS and Sony. They could’ve had this upcoming generation in the bag, with their “blue ocean” strategy all down pat and cutting-edge console hardware for the core gamer. And they blew their opportunity. Now when Sony and MS release THEIR next console Nintendo will be right back where it started, with an outdated, generation-old (in terms of tech) console with a cheap gimmick.

10. Phoenixblight

Gameplay trumps Technology advances thats where Nintendo hit the ground and running with the Wii. This is something that works for Nintendo. Casual make more money look at the phone and social network games. Low investment very high return. Those Facebook games are 50k in investment and 5-9 month development period and they can make the money back within the month of release.

11. OlderGamer

PB +1

WiiU will be fine.

I swear some folks are expecting Holodecks from MS and Sony in the next gen. Console graphics are nearing cap at this point. Expect next gen systems to be faster/smoother/sharper. 1080p and 60fps. Expect fullscreen AA capible. But beyond that don’t expect much else.

Graphicly next gen will not be revolutionary, I don’t think. I think cost if nothing else will temper what MS/Sony put in the next gen systems. Not cost of hardware itself, but cost in terms of dev time and money.

Do you want 150usd games? Nope, me either. No more then devs/pubs want games that take 6 years to make.

I figure MS/Sony know all of this already and thats why they are milking this gen dry.

I know we are used to hearing about vastly improved tech specs with each gen. But I think that starts to slow down now.

I like what Nintendo is doing. they will make a system devs can easily handle. Their new system will instantly have ready to port games and game code/engines. The hardware is low cost to manufacture. And games shouldn’t need to be sold at 100+usd to turn a profit.

Whats not to like?

Unless you absolutly hate against Nintendo, your excited here. Wouldn’t you jump at a chance to play Zelda, Mario, Metriod, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, etc on a PS360? I know I would.

Nintendo is beting other folks will too.

I like their strategy. And I am excited to see what possibilites open up with the WiiUs controller.