First VG247 vs Eurogamer TF2 match ends in total confusion, extreme violence

Friday, 22nd July 2011 10:50 GMT By Patrick Garratt

VG247 readers took on Eurogamer readers last night in a Team Fortress 2 match that quickly dissolved in a lot of people shouting “lollery” and randomly decapitating each other with baseball bats. Screens inside.

The “contest” took place on the Eurogamer community server, with myself, Moertel, someguy2, Yoshi (Mister Blonde), Schindet Nemo and Deacon turning up for VG247. If you were there and I’ve forgotten, just leave a comment.

The sides were roughly VG247 versus Eurogamer for a few rounds, and then they weren’t. I think we got to 4-2 to Eurogamer before it all went tits up.

It was completely fucking hilarious and I can’t wait to do it again. We’ll win next time, obviously.

Check out the shots below and watch the forum and the VG247 Steam group for details of upcoming events.

And remember that VG247 has its own dedicated Team Fortress 2 server here:

• Server Name: Multiplay :: VG247 _TF2
  • Server IP: 213.246.42.39:28315
  • Join Address: steam://connect/213.246.42.39:28315/

1. someguy2

It’s a shame that I had to go half way through but I’ll look around the replays system and see if I can find some funny moments to record.

2. Patrick Garratt

We’ll do it again soon, innit. I really enjoyed it.

3. Yoshi

It was pretty awesome :D We need to try and get a full vg247 vs Eurogamer as some of the EG lads n lasses had to join our team.

I really think I need to get some more achievement equipment before our next match haha XD

4. Patrick Garratt

Innit. I felt naked. I definitely don’t have enough stupid hats. I’ll make time to play more.

5. someguy2

I’ve got some spare items that I could give to some people

6. Prof.Dr.Moertel

It was great. And Degroot was just bloody chaos :D

7. Deacon

I made it in for a game and half : ) got it running nicely on my ageing desktop at last, with minimal hiccups.

Couple of questions:

How do you get grenades & shit?
    I take it there’s no sprint ability?

I ended up messing around with the Scout as I like being agile. That double-jump rocks.

8. someguy2

Deacon, you get class specific items from random item drops or you can buy them with money at the Mann Co. store.

9. Yoshi

@Deacon, grenades and sprint weren’t added to TF2 from TF Classic as grenades were slightly overpowered with the spamming of them… which after playing you can really see the benefit of no grenades plus it makes the demo more unique.

I’m going to try playing an hour or so each day to at least get some new equipment.

10. magicpanda

Was very very silly indeed. Stick £4 in your steam wallet and head to the in game store and you can pick up starter kits for all classes for 59p each. They all include silly hats and some extra weapons. Nobody cares about the weapons it’s all about the hats.

That said you can also just play normally and stuff will drop randomly for free.

11. someguy2

I’ve got some items I can give away and they are:
    The Boston Basher- Scout
    The Claideamh Mór- Demoman
    Degreaser- Pyro
    Buff banner and those rocket boots thing- Soldier
    Mann Co. hat- to not make your head feel naked.

12. efnaldinho

Good fun last night, it’s a shame that we didn’t have enough of the VG24/7 crowd to play against.

Maybe Pat can put in an offer for some of us EG lot to transfer over, a hat or two would do the trick.

Look forward to the next match.

13. Tigerteeth

I especially enjoyed turning traitor and fighting for VG247 – nothing like backstabbing a few fellow team-mates to make the evening worthwhile. :D

Thanks to all who turned up and to Pat and Panda for setting it up – I’m not sure who won or lost or anything really, but it was laugh and we need a rematch.

14. Patrick Garratt

Yep, was awesome. I’ll schedule another one next week. And thanks, Panda, for sorting the server out. We’ll try to get more people together from the VG247 side for the next one. A proper versus tournament would be amazing.

15. Scarecrow

(MetalDog)
    I’m pretty sure I fought for VG by accident for at least one round =D

16. quadfather

It was a top laugh, thanks to all for the games :-)

17. Psychotext

I stayed out of this one because I’m not sure which team I should really pick. :D

That… and I’m crap at TF2. \o/

18. StolenGlory

I missed this, but i’ll be sure to get on for it next time.

My playing ability sucks donkey balls mind you.

19. Tigerteeth

@Psychotext

You’ve qualified – get in… :D

20. spiderLAW

I’ll probably in the next one, though i havent played since a year after its launch so ill probably be super rusty! ;)

21. reask

Shots look like it was good fun.
    I very much doubt my PC would run it tbh.

22. Blerk

I’ve never played Team Fortress. Will my machine run it? It’ll run Portal, which I surmise is based off of the same tech.

23. spiderLAW

@Blerk
    It should run it just fine if you can run Portal. To find out for sure go here

24. reask

Done the test and failed on the video card.
    Pity reall as everything else was well above spec.

25. Nozz

Damn I missed it! When is the next one??? :p

26. spiderLAW

You can a better than recommended specs video card for about $50 Reask

27. reask

I know sl but I would have to get it installed.
    I genuinely know absolutely zero about pcs. :(

28. Patrick Garratt

Don’t worry about being a “noob”. My kill ratio was about 0.00001%. You can stand around killing me if you like.

29. reask

After seeing your uc3 vid Pat I reckon you’re just been modest. :)

30. Patrick Garratt

No, seriously. As hard as it may be to believe, I’m really bad at it. It was still brilliant, though.

31. Crab of Thunder

That U3 video was legendarily bad, there was one where you just walked off a cliff at the start XD. Not that i would have done much better myself of course :P