We maybe introducing News Wraps, but this fella ain’t going away. Actually, that’s a lie: Pat’s away to a meeting, so you’ve got me today. Amazing. Here is the news.
No video from Pat today due to aforementioned meeting. It’ll be back on Monday.
- After years of back and forth arguing and debating, Australia has finally agreed, “in principle” at least, to have an R18+ rating for the country.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic finally has a release timeline: holiday 2011, according to BioWare boss Ray Muzyka in a press release yesterday. Pre-orders are now open for the MMO, and open beta weekends will begin from September.
- “Darkstalkers are not dead,” according to a slide shown by Capcom’s Yoshinori Ono at Street Fighter x Tekken’s ComicCon panel. There’s still nothing in development, though.
- Team Bondi boss Brendan McNamara has said that Rockstar is looking at introducing LA Noire face tech MotionScan into its upcoming games. Yes, that also applies to Grand Theft Auto V as well.
- Warner’s shown off Penguin for the first time in Arkham City, as well as one other famous villain. We’ll keep the surprise on that one, and just merely insist you watch the video.
- Meanwhile, Batman’s voice actor reckons there’s going to be DLC for the game.
- Battlefield 3 got two stonkingly amazing videos yesterday: one an unofficial seven minute gameplay video from the alpha multiplayer trial going on right now, the other being a minute-long official look into multiplayer.
- Ex-SCE WWS boss Phil Harrison said at Develop yesterday that F2P was the future, and that crunch was a “relic” of the 20th century.
- Microsoft announced last night that the Xbox division grew 30 percent in Q4, and was up for the full-year by 48 percent.
- MS also announced a limited edition Star Wars Kinect Xbox 360 bundle, which will come with an R2D2 console and white Kinect. It looks sweet.
- Activision got “so excited” for DJ Hero, it “abandoned” Guitar Hero, CEO Bobby Kotick has said.
- Gears of War 3′s gotten a new dev diary. Watch that here, and get all the details from the game’s ComicCon panel here.
- Ex-Cryptic and Blizzard chief Bill Roper is now in charge of Marvel at Disney Interactive.
In case you missed that it, we’ve now introduced a new bulletin system called the News Wrap. You’ll see these three times a day at 4pm, 10pm and 8am, all BST respectively, coming at the end of each news editor’s shift. Here’s the first three iterations.
And that’s you caught up. Have a good weekend.