Sections

Mega Man Legends 3 Project cancelled due to lack of interest

Thursday, 21st July 2011 20:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Capcom has stated on Twitter the main reason the Mega Man Legends 3 Project was cancelled, was due to lack of community support.

According to the various tweets (via GameFront):

“It’s a shame the fans didn’t want to get more involved if we saw there was an audience for MML3 people might change minds. Unfortunately so few fans took part in the creation of the game. It was felt the project was not worthwhile. We weren’t asking people to do much but response to dev rooms was cool at best. The game was meant to show people how games are developed, [and] the original comment was in relation to the interaction in the Dev rooms NOT the fans who have been nothing but supportive.”

It was announced earlier this week the project had been cancelled, with even former-Capcom man Keiji Inafune lamenting the news.

Brian Austrin, was just one of many fans who helped create content for Mega Man Legends 3 and even put in 15 hour work weeks and passed on many social situation to work on his part of the Prototype Project.

“Capcom had this great contest where you design a townsperson, someone that lives in one of the villages,” Austrin told Game Informer. “They had an assortment of characters like a construction worker, a policeman, and what we had to do was in 300 words or less, describe their personality, give them a name, and a little bit of backstory.

“I made this great character named Osono. She’s like this feisty, very strong woman, and the director of Legends 3 [Miasakazu Eguchi] really loved the character.”

“I really think that their trust bank has been shattered,” says Austrin regarding the canceled community-driven project. “This isn’t the first thing that they’ve done, not just with Mega Man, this is the second Mega Man cancellation within four months. Then we have the other stuff like the Mercenaries 3D DRM, and it just keeps going and going, and they’re establishing this track record.”

Capcom informed contest winners that they would be compensated for any work created as well as retain all rights to the contributions.

Meanwhile it is being rumored that Capcom is kicking fans dressed as Mega Man out of its booth at Comic-Con, and that Seth Killian, a strategic director, online & community, and special combat advisor for the firm was even punched in the face by one.

We don’t believe either for a second, and Capcom has said it isn’t true, but yeah, it’s all over “teh twitt”.

[pic]

Latest

9 Comments

Sign in to post a comment.

  1. Lewis247

    Oh so it’s now the fans faults? Damn, I would be so pissed if I was a big megaman fan who wanted this game.

    #1 3 years ago
  2. The_Red

    Wait, wait, wait. Seth Killian was punched in the face during Comic Con!? Has anyone filmed it!?

    #2 3 years ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

    @2 Did you not read the full thing? LOL. RUMOR. Nasty twitter rumors.

    #3 3 years ago
  4. The_Red

    My bad, I read the Killian and Punched and went straight to comment section :)

    #4 3 years ago
  5. YoungZer0

    If that’s really the reason, there is only one party to blame: Capcom. It’s not the fans fault that you treat them like shit.

    #5 3 years ago
  6. Stephany Nunneley

    @4 LOL!!! :D

    #6 3 years ago
  7. TheWulf

    Uh… Stephany, you and VG24/7 are amazing, but you may want to check your sources on this. It’s been recently discovered that Mega Man Legends 3 was a Nintendo-funded stunt to sell 3DS units. The costume competition, the faked screenshots, everything. There was even documentation stating the date it would be cancelled upon, the exact date.

    It was an incredibly dirty trick. They’re trying to cover their arses now after the leak by feeding this line to the gaming news sites, but believe you me, it’s nonsense. MML3 was fake from the start. Check your sources on this, do a little hunting around, and you’ll find that I’m right about this.

    #7 3 years ago
  8. Alakratt

    Since this is Mega Man related i’ll post this here. Capcom have said that the reason they didnt include Mega Man in MVC3 or UMVC3 is because there wasnt enough fan demand for him, but in this poll that they created, it shows otherwise. http://www.capcom-unity.com/marvelvscapcom/go/thread/view/102977/27076341/DLC_Polls_Round_2_%2528Please_see_update%2529

    FFS, Capcom are a bunch of fucking liars who piss on their fans faces! If Killian really got punched, they forgot to kick him on the nuts for UMVC3. And before the smartasses come running here, I know he cant make decisions (that we know of) but it shows Capcom that we’ve had enough of their dirty practices and since they dont listen to their fans in any way (writing on their forums, on their FB page, on their twitter, etc) then they gotta learn the hard and violent way.

    #8 3 years ago
  9. neon6

    They’re removing Mega Man cosplayers from their booth at Comic-Con: http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/2011/07/rumor-capcom-removing-mega-man-fans.html
    I guess Seth’s has finally assimilated himself with Capcom now. He shouldn’t have taken that job if he wanted to remain close to the community.

    #9 3 years ago