Live-action Deus Ex: Human Revolution trailer is bleak

Thursday, 21st July 2011 19:30 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The future. It’s very bleak, according to Deus Ex.

Square Enix has released a three-minute live-action trailer of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, revolving around augmentations and the companies who provide them.

It’s not looking sunshine, rainbows and unicorns, is it? Definitely not. The Eidos Montreal actioner is Square’s big ticket for this year, and is the one to watch next month when it releases.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution launches on August 23 in the US and August 26 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Patrick Garratt

Awesome.

2. triggerhappy

Wow. Very cool. Very serious.

3. Espers

Some of the games nowadays, are really sending implicit messages to the people, however a few are really aware of them. Important messages, that nowadays our lives are really becoming under control, under monitoring: Those games are giving a perspective of the future, for actions we’re seeing today. e.g. : The Cloud technology, GPS Cellphone tracking, The British tapping scandal of Murdoch, The tapping on US citizens phone call during Bush administration and who knows maybe it is still active, never to forget Facebook asking you for your phone number most of the time.

e.g. of those games:

1) MGS4

2) DeusEx

3) The Matrix

Who knows maybe later on, when they start with nano bots for ” Medical Purposes ” true the future is bleak.
    Here take a look:

4. endgame

hoooly s**t! :)

5. tenthousandgothsonacid

@Espers Can I sell you a tinfoil helmet ? Very reasonable rates ;)

6. Espers

@5 Keep making fun of it, until it gets all of us. Just use your head a little, unless you’re still a kid, go play with your dog. Stuff like these aren’t meant for airheads like you

7. HauntaVirus

LMAO!

Pretty dope trailer though, a tiny bit cheesy here and there but overall good. Stoked for the game.

8. Gurdil

This is soooo awesome! This game’s marketing campaign is the best I’ve ever seen! I wasn’t sure about getting the game when I saw the first gameplay at Paris Games Week ’cause of the first person view that I hate with a passion. But this campaign is so awesome that I HAVE TO GET THIS GAME! In fact, I wish they’ll develop this on other media. This story could become an epic movie and/or comics series.
    Sorry I never played the first two Deus Ex so maybe this story’s no news for those of you who did, but I can’t recall a game with such a good starting point.
    Color me PSYCHED!!! ^^

9. jacobvandy

@3 Obama signed the extension of the “Patriot” Act a few months ago, so it’s staying on for another four years. Very sad.

Pretty awesome trailer, though, I’m glad they didn’t cop out and show the game title and logos at the end.

10. Johnny Cullen

There we go. It’s back up.

11. Edo

The CGI parts are well done and we can never have enough of those conspiracy theories now can we!?

12. OrbitMonkey

Good stuff. As a fan of William Gibson & Jon Courtenay Grimwood I’m so very looking forward to playing this :)

13. YoungZer0

It’s also worth visiting the sarif industries website again.

14. NeoSquall

This both reminds me somehow of Johnny Mnemonic, the film, and Tetsuo.

Don’t ask me why, it’s just a gut feeling.

15. revolting

Awesome world building. The stage setting they’ve done for DE:HE is absolutely glorious. This is the start of the longest four week wait for a game I’ve had since WoW geared up to take over the internet.

16. Noodlemanny

Way I see it the main reason all this tracking and surveying and getting so big is for our actual safety. If your not saying anything that could harm people you’ve got nothing to worry about, political people will hear it and they be all like ‘thats nice’. You only have to worry if your saying stuff that could be damaging which means the people listening will want to stop you, which is actually good. Yeah you might make the occasional slips up but everyone will so it won’t be a problem. You might run the risk of the ‘listeners’ taking all the power and going ‘against’ the people but at the moment to me that doesn’t seem particularly likely, I’m not seeing any tread towards that at all at the moment.

Anyway I felt the trailer was really interesting and heightened my interest in the game and its setting.

17. Gekidami

As cool as that is… Why embargo it? It tells us nothing about the game we’ll be shelling out money on next month…

18. Talkar

What CGI trailer does say anything about a game? I haven’t seen one that does, that is what gameplay trailers are for.

19. Zana

@18 Story, plot, characters and art design are part of a game. So a CGI trailer does say a lot about the game. This trailer is quite ambitious, I really hope the game will deliver. I mean, story-wise.

20. blackdreamhunk

cool

21. Telepathic.Geometry

Now THIS is what a Deus Ex game should feel like. /happy

I hope that they rework the Deus Ex theme music in there somewhere, just as an aside…

22. NeoSquall

Oh crap, they even changed the contents of the hacking minigame!

I won’t spoil anything, just go check it out asap!