Thu, Jul 21, 2011 | 09:14 BST
BULLETCAST, July 21 – What you need to know now
A lot going on this morning. Get all the major headlines below the drop in both video and text form.
- Eat, Sleep, Play head David Jaffe has explained exclusively to VG247 why he believes it “was irresponsible and damaging” for so many people to claim Battlefield 3 was E3′s game of the show based on graphics alone.
- Indie developers led the charge at last night’s Develop Awards in Brighton, with Mojang winning best new downloadable IP, best new studio, and best micro studio.
- Namco Bandai is looking at new ways to explore Enslaved, the publisher’s Lee Kirton has told VG247.
- Eidos has dropped an amazing live action short for Deus Ex. See it here.
- Both the PS3 and PC versions of Limbo has extra additional “secret” content over its 360 brethren at release, VG247 can confirm.
- Respawn concept artist Iain McCaig has said at Develop that the studio’s first game won’t release until at least 2015. In the wake of his comments, he’s told Gamespot this was just a “wild guess“.
- Microsoft’s will hold its second Play Day event at gamescom on August 16.
- Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a real thing. “The kids” aren’t especially happy about it.
- Activision’s announced Goldeneye 007: Reloaded for PS3 and Xbox 360.
- Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot has said he expects to see the publisher’s top brands on tablets within the next few years. Ubi sales for the first quarter were down over 30 percent.
- Prototype 2 will launch next April in the US.
- Quakecon kicks off on August 4. Bethesda’s announced the show’s full line-up.
- Grasshopper’s next game is Lollipop Chainsaw.
- Rare’s Scott Henson said at Develop yesterday that Kinect is one step on the path to holodeck-like gaming experiences.
- Angry Birds creator Rovio has said it plans to be the biggest entertainment brand in the world in two years.
- Warner Bros. Games general manager and vice president Laura Fryer has criticised the practice of hiring, burning out, and then firing development staff.
- The BBC’s commercial arm is set to begin publishing independent games as early as next month.
- Gaikai’s netted another $30 million in funding.
- Kuju Entertainment co-founder Ian Baverstock told Develop yesterday that Nintendo’s Satoru Iwata’s GDC keynote decrying mobile and social games was a “shocking indictment” of how “obsessed” the firm is with retail.
- The ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection for PS3 will come with a voucher for two XMB Dynamic Themes, one for ICO and one for Shadow of the Colossus. Extra video content will also be included.