BioWare kicks off pre-order for The Old Republic

Thursday, 21st July 2011 08:39 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Yeah. You’re probably going to hear a release date soon.

EA’s kicked off pre-orders for Star Wars: The Old Republic, as well as confirming the contents of the MMO’s collector’s edition.

You can find the full details of what each SKU – standard, digital deluxe and collector’s – will feature below.

Standard Edition:

• Game
  • 30 days of game time

Digital Deluxe Edition (Digital versions of the game are exclusive to Origin)

• Flare gun – Fires flares into the air.
  • Training droid – Hovers at your side for combat assistance.
  • Holodancer – Project your own holographic dancer.
  • Holocam – Keep visual records of in-game adventures.
  • STAP (Single Trooper Aerial Platform) – Sleek and unique in-game vehicle.

Collector’s Edition (Physical only)

• The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural – 111 pages of notes and sketches by the revered Jedi Master from the early years of the Great Hyperspace War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire. Features never-before-seen artwork and all-new information.
  • Darth Malgus statue – The villainous Darth Malgus comes to life with this exclusive 9 in. collectible statue from Gentle Giant studios.
  • The Old Republic Galaxy Map – 14 x 20 in. at-a-glance look at the known galaxy.
  • Security Authentication Key Fob – Keep your Lightsaber and credits safe with this custom Security Authentication Key Fob for your game account.
  • Music of Star Wars – The Old Republic CD: Seventeen orchestral music tracks from The Old Republic.
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic game – The full Star Wars: The Old Republic game on DVD-ROM in a collectible metal case.
  • Exclusive Mouse Droid – A faithful droid to join you on your adventures [Virtual]
  • Exclusive Collector’s Edition Store – Unique in-game store with a dynamic array of items to assist you from your humble beginnings through your journey to become a galactic legend. [Virtual]

The fact that pre-orders have now begun means you’re all but certainly about to hear a date for it. EA’s already promised big stuff for the BioWare title for ComicCon today, so you may just hear it today. If not, then almost certainly gamescom next month.

The Old Republic is expected to be out later this year

1. Grimrita

£130 for the CE through GAME. Ouch! And £60 for the DE on Origin. EA in ‘lets take the piss’

2. Dralen

I’m so glad I pre-ordered my copy way back when. The price has gone up £10 from it’s original price now.

3. viralshag

@ Grim, Give in to the EA side of the force and give them some money! Come TOR it up! :P

Being the weak wet paper towel willed gamer I am, the mention of “early game access” sold this to me the moment I heard about it. I also got the digital deluxe edition too.

I love the idea of CE editions and if I had a room dedicated to “useless game crap and junk” I would probably buy them more often.

4. Grimrita

@3 ‘early game access’ is all fine but there hasnt been any kind of announcement of how many days it will be. It could just be 12 hours! And knowing EA, it probably will be something stupid.

No word on the subs plan – how much it will cost and, if the game will have micro transactions in as well(which knowing the EA greed machine, probably will).

Its a lot of cash for something that is still very vague. The darkside of the force clouds everything

5. RockTwist

There’s a rumour the early access is 7 days for CE and 3 days for standard. No idea on Digital Deluxe (which I ordered like Viralshag).

http://i.imgur.com/F7Ow5.jpg is the source most people are speculating from.

Bioware’s hosting a big panel at Comic Con tonight & tomorrow, so there’ll be more info over the next couple of days.

6. viralshag

@4, Damn you and damn your good points.

I would like to think it will be 7 days. If it’s less than that I will be a bit peeved. As for sub plans, let’s just say if they are ridiculous, I will make good use of the free 30 days and not much else unless I am totally blown away by the awesomeness.

7. Grimrita

And the need to be level 25 just to use your speeder(same as WoW?!). Man. At least you could ride a mount from day 1 in Rift.

Same for me and probably alot of people. If it doesnt impress after 30 days, how many will stay on? The deal breaker for me will be pvp and how its done.

I would love to see the ability to launch raids on cities and towns like you could in WoW and in Galaxies but Bioware appear to be keen to keep players wrapped in cotton wool and not experience ‘death’ all too often.

And it appears if you live outside North America and Europe, you will have an even longer wait…

8. Phoenixblight

Preordered the Deluxe version. THey probably will be announcing the date at COmic Con. Can’t wait for this game with all the leaked videos and seeing the game as it is played I am very much interested.

9. viralshag

Supposedly according to EA customer service the early access is like this:

“For those who have pre-ordered the Base Edition or Digital Deluxe Edition of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, Head Start access will begin three days prior to the release of the game.

For people who have pre-ordered the Collector’s Edition, the Head Start access will begin seven days before the game’s official release.”

If that’s the case, it’s kind of shit. And if it’s true, why not actually post it somewhere… I mean, having a £20 more expensive version getting the same early access as the regular edition is stupid. Surely it would make more sense to stagger it 7, 5, 3 days if anything?

I’m worried that EA seem to be making bit of a cock up with the release, leaving out vital info and other countries basically getting shafted with no special editions at all.

Edit: Used the totally wrong saying lol.

10. silkvg247

The prices are an utter piss take for a game with a subscription fee. I’ll wait patiently for the prices to reach normality before I give it a go.

11. Grimrita

Origins has ‘sold out’ of the collectors edition lol

12. viralshag

@11, Damn.

13. viralshag

Also, is there any idea how many CE copies there were available? If they went as big as Lotro with 5000 copies, that’s roughly $750k from the get go.

14. Grimrita

Ive heard its around 50k world wide. How true that is, hell knows. GAME are the only stockists in the UK and because GAME suck, those who pre-order have to wait 7 days to get their early play pre-order codes

15. klewd

Late nov to early dec. I’m calling it.

16. Grimrita

And now for the best(LOL) part -

If you pre-order, you need to download the client from ORIGINS to access the game early. Now there is a SHOCK!