Wed, Jul 20, 2011 | 15:17 BST
Western Australia still for R18+, but Victoria remains undecided
Western Australia has said that it’s for the introduction of the R18+ for videogames around the country.
But attorney general for the region, Christian Porter, said that it’s still waiting for amendments to guidelines proposed by the federal government.
“Western Australia’s position was to inform the Commonwealth in June 2011 that the WA government is not opposed, in principle, to the prospect of an introduction of an R18+ classification category for computer games,” Porter told GameSpot AU.
“However, before the WA cabinet would give any final approval, the state government would like to see some modifications to the proposed R18+ classification guidelines.”
However, Victoria still remains undecided as such, saying that its decision will be based on the same amendments that Western Australia is looking for.
“The Baillieu Government is seeking modifications to the Commonwealth’s published draft guidelines so as to better protect the community,” Victoria AG Robert Clark told the site.
“Our decision at SCAG will be based on what proposal ends up being put before ministers for decision.”
Earlier this week, it was reported that Southern Australia’s attorney general will replace the MA15 rating with R18+, regardless of what happens at a meeting on Friday where it’ll formally decide on implementing the R18 rating nationwide.
At least, that’s meant to be the case: NSW’s AG has apparently decided to abstain from the vote.