SWTOR collector’s edition to be insane, insanely expensive

Wednesday, 20th July 2011 14:19 GMT By Nathan Grayson

Eurogamer (via a promo poster uncovered by NeoGAF) sends word of Star Wars: The Old Republic’s galaxy far, far away-sized collector’s edition. First things first: it’s going to run you around €150/$149.99. But is this the collector’s edition you’re looking for, or is it just a heaping pile of space scrap? Judge for yourself after the break.

According to the poster, and various retailers, you’ll be tempted to give up outrageous sums of cash by the following real-life pieces of geeky bling:

• Exclusive Gentle Giant Darth Malgus statue
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic game discs in collectable metal case
  • The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural annotated by Satele Shan
  • Old Republic galaxy map
  • Custom security authentication key
  • Exclusive music of Star Wars: The Old Republic CD
  • High quality Collector’s Edition box

Meanwhile, seven digital items round out the package – for the savvy player who wants his/her every stride to say, “Yeah, I traded everything I own for a single videogame. Please, can you spare some food? Man cannot live on cookie crumbs and grocery store samples alone.”

The items are:

• Flare gun: Fire flares into the air
  • Training droid: Hovers at your side for combat assistance
  • HoloDancer: Project your own holographic dancer
  • HoloCam: Keep visual records of in-game adventures
  • STAP: Sleek and unique in-game vehicle
  • Exclusive Mouse Droid: Spunky droid to join your adventures
  • Exclusive Collector’s Edition store: Unique in-game vendor with a dynamic assortment of items

GameStop has the Collector’s Edition up on it’s site for $149.99,  and there is also an Origin-exclusive Digital Deluxe Edition which is decidedly less-expensive, and comes with all you see above (minus the physical bits) with 30 days of game time.

Still no date on this.

1. arabassassin94

waste of money i would rather buy with $20 more 4 new games(excluding tax)

2. Gekidami

lol Add to that the monthly fee, and this may just be one of the most expensive editions ever released.

3. Grimrita

Jesus! Lets all ‘take the piss’ starring EA and its over priced CE. I dread to think how much the Special Edition will cost on Origin.

I know EA need to recoupe their costs but this is a joke, if its true

4. darksied

“Yeah, I traded everything I own for a single videogame. Please, can you spare some food?” – LOL

Hey, it’s not for everyone. Some people buy these things … I don’t know what kind of people (I know I’m not one of them), but I’m assuming they’re out there. If people are willing to put down $100+ for collector’s editions of games, why not $200?

But seriously, that Holocam sounds pretty cool.

5. darksied

I’m pretty sure there will only be like a few thousand of these made, if that many. It’s more of a bragging rights thing, I’m sure. Most people will NOT put down anything over $60 for a game, unless it’s for shipping.

6. f1r3storm

It’s not uncommon that such statues alone are sold for this price, so i think for the whole CE it’s a reasonable price.

Don’t like it? Don’t buy it.

7. Erthazus

Blizzard is a saint after this pathetic milking shit.

Milk it dawg. Milk it.

8. RockTwist

The Gentle Giant statues go for anything from $60 to $80 alone usually and are pretty collectible and high in quality.

Doubt it’s intended for people who don’t like such things (like myself) and as such i’ll be going for the digital deluxe. I’m only interested in the in game items.

9. AHA-Lambda

can we not slow down on the ridiculously exuberent crappy limited editions?

…..please?? =s

10. Grimrita

@4 in Rift you type /record and can upload in HD to youtube for free. Which, I am guessing is the same sort of thing but with the SWTWoW spin on it.

I was expecting the CE to cost around $150 tops and frankly, the items in this are pretty cheap tat.

@8 I purchased Napoleon Total War Emperors Edition from Australia, a friend of mine imported it and it came with a superb figure of the man himself all for $50 Ozzy bucks. Bargain.

11. Grimrita

UK box art has arrived in stores as well. No word on any rip off editions

back http://i56.tinypic.com/1zvs4np.jpg
    front http://i53.tinypic.com/r85d86.jpg

12. RockTwist

@10 http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/Star_Wars_Collectibles_s/1.htm it includes one of these which pushes the price up. To some people they’re a highly collectible brand and worth the price.

I personally don’t think they should include statues in CE’s nor do I want them, the most i’d like is a mouse mat or art book, or make a standard CE without the statue for like £50/$60.

13. Grimrita

Ive heard of gentle giant and yes, their stuff is pretty cool. But i think they need to take another look at the pricing and offer a special edition without the figurine because right now, it looks crazy.

14. RockTwist

@13 I agree. To me £50 or 60 (At a push) is my limit on any game collector’s edition or not.

Guess we’ll find out tomorrow night at comic con, none of these prices are official yet. I REALLY hope the digital deluxe is more reasonable, I like in game tat.

15. Grimrita

Personally, I wouldnt buy this as a digital edition because knowing EA it will be over priced, and probably a tenner cheaper on Amazon. I purchased Rift as a digital purchase but all the items were ‘in game’ stuff and mount aside, was tat.

But with the game still very much unfinished, I am worried that with all the pre-order announcements incoming, EA is pushing this one out the door, ready or not, to please shareholders. I hope I am wrong but they did the same with WAR and screwed that up.

16. viralshag

I find your lack of release date disturbing…

The stuff that counts, as in the in-game stuff, quite frankly sucks some serious ass.

@15, Sadly, I’m almost in agreement with you on the “pushing out the door” thing. I’m seriously worried for this game. As much as I am dying to play it I have a bad feeling it will crash and burn shortly after the free month is up. DCUO showed that having a great brand is not enough and from what I have seen from TOR, there isn’t much that says this is going to be an amazing game.

As usual, I totally don’t agree with your Rift comment and I will go on record to say I love my two headed turtle! :P

17. Grimrita

@16 LOL I loved my turtle as well, but in warfronts, I was so happy when I managed to afford a faster mount. But when strolling through Silverwood, I would bring it out of retirement. :)

18. Talkar

I’m gonna buy it, call me what you want, but i’ve been a longtime Star Wars fan, and if you think this is overpriced then take a look at some plastic: http://cgi.ebay.com/STORMTROOPER-SHADOW-TROOPER-BLACK-Costume-Armour-/200502509115?pt=UK_Collectables_SciFi_fantasyCollectables_EH&hash=item2eaee17e3b

Star Wars collectibles has been expensive for so long, why start whining about it now?

19. Uncontested

I might get it just for the statue, dont even want the game lol, but I love star wars figures, esp rare ones. /nerd mode

20. Joe_Gamer

My understanding is that the the figure is POLISH currency where the product leak originated from, NOT Euro’s, that would be a much more reasonable $80, this is mentioned in many of the comments from the original story.

21. Stephany Nunneley

It’s real. It’s on GameStop’s website. Post has been updated accordingly.

22. Grimrita