New Uncharted movie director “starting from scratch,” thinks Nathan Fillion’s “a good actor”

Tuesday, 19th July 2011 08:50 GMT By Nathan Grayson

After David O. Russell nearly sent the Uncharted franchise careening off a cliff, there’s nowhere to go but up. Fortunately, new director Neil Burger has his sights set much higher than “decent by comparison to a cinematic trainwreck.” Evidence? He seems to have actually, you know, played the videogame.

“Mainly we’re beginning from scratch and going back to the videogame. Because there’s a lot of cool stuff, actually, from the videogame, if you know it,” Burger told Crave Online.

“It’s really one of the most cinematic videogames, and one that has really developed characters. So, you know, there’s a lot of cool, really intense things that, if they work for the film’s story, I want to use them.”

He also made sure to emphasize Uncharted’s more modern approach to the scrappy, stubble-coated formula Indiana Jones pioneered – even make an initially odd (but ultimately fitting) comparison to the Bourne franchise. His reasoning? “This is a very different kind of treasure hunt movie.”

And then Burger addressed the elephant in the room, which David O. Russell missed because he apparently got lost in Mark Wahlberg’s eyes. Let’s face it: Nathan Drake is basically Malcolm Reynolds minus a starship and a pretty floral bonnet. So, what’s Burger’s take?

“I’ve seen a little bit of that, yes,” he said, referring to the Nathan Fillion fan riot. “That was brought to my attention. So, you know, I think he’s a good actor. I think there’s a lot of really good actors who don’t even look like [Nathan Drake] who could play it! Where we are right now is that we’re literally starting from scratch on the screenplay, and I think that once we finish it, then we’ll go to actors and see who’s available and who’s right for the parts. Whenever that happens.”

But will he remember the half-tuck? If we don’t hear horror stories from the makeup staff of 16-hour days spent getting it just so, we’ll spit out our popcorn in disgust.

1. HauntaVirus

Nolan North is Nathan Drake! NO ONE ELSE!

2. rainer

Nathan is good but not a star and only known by name to a bunch of nerds so there’s no way he will ever get the part, plus he looks a lot older than he is vs Drake who looks younger.

With action movies like these you either have a name attached or it’s a big name director. There have been plenty of Indiana Jones wannabe movies over the years and all of them have failed.

For Uncharted your basically looking for someone who can play Han Solo crossed with Indiana Jones. Arrogant, but also charming is an extremely difficult thing to pull off.

Chris Pine (Kirk in last Star Trek) would be I think the best option.

3. StolenGlory

Hmmm, I would probably pick Ryan Reynolds for the role. He has the action chops, the always running mouth and has the same kind of cocksure charisma that would be demanded by the role IMHO.

4. endgame

“Nathan Fillion” deserves this role. anyone else who says otherwise doesn’t know sh*t about the actor. or about the movie industry in general.

5. osric90

Have Gerard Butler, epic win. Minnesota Ryan could be good but I think Gerard Butlet is just perfect, maybe a little too old but Nathan Drake doesn’t even look 27. I thought he was like 33 before knowing that back in the day.

6. Dannybuoy

Nathan Fillion looks the part but does he sound the part. I think that’s one of Drake’s most memorable features, his voice… I can hear Drake’s voice in my head right now cracking wise comments and huffing and puffing his way around the environment. For me the voice is the most important thing. That’s why it should be Nolan North in my mind.

7. tontsa91

Maybe he should be played by Nathan Fillion but voiced by Nolan North.

Or maybe it should be a full-length CGI movie.

8. mathare92

I’d place my bets on Bradley Cooper getting the role. He worked with Burger on Limitless and he has that kind of immediate recognisability that they’ll need for the all posters and what not.

I just hope that the script doesn’t disappoint – and that the project gets a massively talented art director, cinematographer and composer. Maybe it’ll even get the financial resources that it needs. Recreating that exotic, globe-trotting feel of the games is going to be a hard task to pull of.

9. Clupula

Bradley Cooper could pull it off, I think. Just glad there’s no more Marky Mark in this.

10. The_Red

At least this guy has seen some game screenshots and has probably read the game’s story online. Mark W and David Russel were the type of douchebags that wouldn’t even look at the game they were adapting.

11. LOLshock94

@9 marky mark was an awesome rapper….

but i think bradly cooper or chris pine should get the role and not nathan filion

12. spiderLAW

Bradley Cooper or Nathan Filion are perfect BUT i would consider Bradley first because Nathan is getting too old.

13. OrbitMonkey

Nah, Hugh Jackman gets my vote :)

14. macronia

Nathan Fillion is fantastic for the role but he needs to lose some weight

15. DuckOfDestiny

Oh please no, this is one of my major gripes with Video game movie adaptions. We’ve already played through the scenes, we already know the story, we don’t want the same shit that’s been done, we want completely original ideas and story, not the game we played four fucking years ago.

16. ballerty27

hands down the best person to play Nathan Drake is Joe Flanigan. take a look at his picture & watch a few episodes of stargate atlantis and you’ll see that the role of Nathan Drake was made for him.

17. lexph3re

I don’t see that one @16

18. GwynbleiddiuM

I gotta say Nathan Fillion rox, I loved all the things I’ve seen from him especially the Serenity and that project he was in with Felicia Days and NPH himself. He is da man and he is the guy I wanna see as Drake, ffs he was destined to be Drake, the guy has a Nathan for first-name.

PS: last part was obviously sarcasm but he is helluva lot more talented than the other guy that is candidate for the role.

19. Kuwabara

they guy who starred in ” the perfect weapon” is a perfect nathan drake, in every way possible. However that movie was made in the late 80′s/90s, he may be old now.. otherwise it Nathan fillion.

20. ballerty27

Nathan fillion is to old to play drake.

21. Panipal2005

Nathan Fillion is too stupid-looking to play Drake.

22. dinabr

Joe Flanigan is perfect for the role of Nathan Drake

23. Stephany

@22 Agreed. I don’t see Bradly Cooper as Nathan though. Of course, I don’t like him very much anyway, so that is probably part of it.