Pachter expects EA to spend between $45-$50 million on BF3 marketing

Wednesday, 13th July 2011 20:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Michael Pachter has said in his latest industry note, that he expects EA to spend between $45 and $50 million on Battlefield 3 marketing. Pachter also said in the note he expects Star Wars: The Old Republic to sell 2 million copies at launch, and 1.5 million user hanging after the free one-month trial expires. BF3 launches October 25 and SWTOR is expected sometime before the end of the year. Thanks Gamespot.

1. xino

even though we all know that MW3 will outsell BF3.

These marketing EA is about to pour out, let’s hope it’s worth it. Even though it wouldn’t outsell MW3, let’s hope they at least make some money on sold copies and sales.

2. Erthazus

I don’t care how much copies it will sell, the most important part that the game is going to be great and DICE will make enough money for the next game or Mirrors Edge.

3. Uncontested

People will still be playing Battlefield 3 six years from now, just like they do with Battlefield 2 (released 2005). Nobody even plays MW1 anymore, released 4 years ago.

4. Grimrita

who knows what BF3 will be like. I still remember all the bullshit surrounding Bug Company 2 and that was a total mess. If they have removed the crap hit box detections, the bullet proof leaves and some of the invisble bullet proof walls (like on Operation Hastings), then I might be interested in placing my pre-order.

But I think the figures here are very over stated.

5. Gekidami

So why is CoD4 still the 9th most played game on 360?

6. Gama_888

Lol Erth. You were spouting the same crap a few months about Crysis 2.
    Dont put all your eggs in one basket mate ;)

Hell i’d love to see Bf3 knock cod off its thrown but i just dont think its going to happen yet.

Although i think this is the last iteration of COD that will make record sales. I think people are just starting to get sick of buying a new one every year. And i know a lot of people who eventually went back to MW2 once they got bored of black ops.

An i think this time next year a lot of people will skip the Cod of the year.

7. DSB

I think the key thing is going to be MW3 being made under new management. There’s no way to tell what the new Infinity Ward is capable of until we see the actual game. Personally I’m not too optimistic, and I’d be a lot more interested in seeing what Sledgehammer can do on their own.

BLOPS is an entirely different ballgame to me. Treyarch was always the less satisfying little brother in my opinion. I’m surprised that it’s still holding the top spot on consoles.

Likewise DICE are trying to make a distinction between Bad Company and this, and hopefully that actually means something. I won’t be holding my breath, and unless they get it on Steam, it won’t be a buy until it drops massively.

@3 LOL

8. JRNO

Those are pretty small numbers to be honest. If I recall correctly, Activision spent close to a 100 million in marketing Modern Warfare 2. I would expect EA to invest a similiar amount of money in Battlefield 3 marketing, since we’re talking about their flagship FPS, if not the flagship game of 2011.

9. Gigabomber

Would be funny if 35 million went to pointing out how Activision gutted IW. Note: nobody cares about pachter.

10. NightCrawler1970

@3 as long EA don’t shut down “aged servers” after 1 year…. you prob, pissed off…