Journey – Beta’s first two levels in HD with voiceover

Tuesday, 12th July 2011 00:41 GMT By Brenna Hillier

In a gloriously beautiful fifteen minutes, Pat walks us through thatgamecompany’s latest effort, Journey.

This footage comes from the game’s closed beta, and covers the first two levels offered therein.

Johnny’s had a crack at it too, and will have impressions for you soon. So jelly.

Journey is a PlayStation Network exclusive, and features an unusual, silent multiplayer experience as players cross a mysterious desert. It’s due later this year.

1. tenthousandgothsonacid

I thought part of the beta agreement was not uploading video to YouTube ?

2. Patrick Garratt

SCEE told me last night that there was no embargo on coverage at all.

3. tenthousandgothsonacid

My bad, apologies :)

4. Patrick Garratt

I bloody hope it’s OK, anyway. Was up till 1am doing it.

5. tenthousandgothsonacid

I can’t find the beta agreement anywhere. Maybe I dreamt it.

Anyhoo, lots of other sites have posted stuff so you’re pretty safe :)

6. BraveArse

Pat, don’t take this the wrong way but that’s the first time I can honestly say I’ve found something you’ve done captivating…

/must go do something manly now.

7. Patrick Garratt

@6 – That’s awesome! I’ll try to captivate more, I promise.

8. Blerk

Must remember to come back and watch this later!

9. Dannybuoy

This looks amazing. Zelda meets Super Star Wars meets Dune. Day one.

10. barchetta

I’ve been playing this Beta for a couple of weeks. Truly beautiful and enigmatic though much slower paced (from area seen) than Flower. I guess playing from UK makes it tricky to meet other users at the moment. I can also see the camera controls causing frustration for some but I’m going to be in on day one.

11. BraveArse

Pat, did you have issues with lockups?

As luck would have it I got my beta invite arrived today. :D I understand they had issues with it in the US beta but thought they had patched those out. Unless of course we’re on the vanilla build in the EU for some reason…

That aside it’s just what I expected. Beautiful. Real privilege to be able to play it early despite the lockups.

12. barchetta

Just played a great 2 player session. Can’t give too much away but it was revealing at how simple comms were possible from such elegant but basic controls and how it opened up extra possibilities….. Great.

13. BraveArse

I tried again this evening and was rewearded with patch 1.02 which eradicated all freezing issues. I’ve played thru the beta levels 3 times now, and would happily do it again. It’s simply gorgeous.

Totally agreed on the comms. It’s amazing how well thought out it is, a very simple system which rewards nothing but cooperation, and somehow manages to stay in the world that they’ve created. It doesn’t snap you out of the game world at all, much to it’s credit. Traditional coop, fun as it is, is the equivalent of talking all the way thru a movie, sometimes I just want something like Demon’s Souls and now, Journey, which gives you that sense of camaraderie whilst maintaining the sense of the world you’re in at the time.