AMD trolls Nvidia with super-speed laptop GPU

Tuesday, 12th July 2011 11:57 GMT By Patrick Garratt

AMD’s announced the Radeon HD 6990M, a chip it’s saying is the fastest laptop graphics processor in the world, up to 25 percent faster, in fact, than Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 580M unveiled only two weeks ago with the same claim. AMD reckons the new Radeon kicks the puny GeThing to the curb when benchmarked on Batman Arkham Asylum, Dragon Age 2, Shogun 2, BattleForge, Left 4 Dead, Metro2033, Wolfenstein MP, The Chronicles of Riddick, and E.T.: Quake Wars. If this sort of thing makes you do the sex-wee, hit Engadget for specs and a PR.

1. locus2k1

will it burn my legs faster? :D

all joking aside its nice to have some “portable” gaming, but this cannot be cheap… any Laptop manufacturers giving RRP for models with the chip yet?

2. ninjanutta

2000 pounds if your lucky..lol,my tower with 3d monitor and far greater specs was about the same,i know what id prefer

3. endgame

@1 haha. funny but true. that’s why I’m giving my gaming laptop away soon. it’s burning my thighs.

@2 too right m8. I’ve just spent 1050 euros on a new gaming desktop and it’s so incredibly powerful. definitely not spending any more money on gaming laptops anymore.

4. Christopher Jack

Is there such a thing as an easy to upgrade laptop? Switching RAM is normally a piece of cake that someone like myself could do with ease, but what about things like the GPU?

5. Maximum Payne

@4 You can’t.Depends of lap top some can change hard drive some ram some even like inserting tv card but CPU and GPU you can’t replace.

6. Anders

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars – the benchmark of the future.

7. Hybridpsycho

To bad every GPU for a Laptop sux.

My HD 5870 on my laptop performs about a 3rd of GTX460 SLI