Quick Quotes – BioWare listens to feedback “probably more than any other developer”

Monday, 11th July 2011 04:47 GMT By Brenna Hillier

“Our community is hugely important to us,” Mass Effect producer Jesse Houston told Gamespot. “Not just the BioWare Social side – also stuff like Twitter and Facebook.

“Our fans are really who we build the game for. They are the most important people in our lives and we listen to them probably more than any other developer that I’ve ever seen.

“Every piece of feedback that crawls across the forums, I read it. As much as humanly possible, we act on it.”

1. DarkElfa

READ: So if your leaving EVE Online because they aren’t listening, come on over here baby.

2. Hybridpsycho

I guess that’s why Dragon Age 2 sucked giant ass.

3. ultramega

icwutudidthar

4. Hunam

@3 He’s right though. Bioware’s problem is that they listen to their fans but they fail to really understand what they want. We didn’t want inventory, armour types and weapons brands chucked out for ME2, we just wanted them to make it better than ME1. Same with DA2, they take the fan feedback far, far past the logical extreme to the point where the fans barely recognise what they are being given.

5. Erthazus

BioWare listens to feedback “probably more than any other developer”

If thats what they think, then they should go away from this industry. Since Mass effect 1 i don’t see this at all.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

BioWare takes more feedback from n00bz than everybody else. First They claim Dragon Age: Origins is a spiritual successor of baldur’s gate which was a total and utter bullshit, and I for one accepted that for what it is only to find out Dragon Age II wasn’t anything like DAO which I was content with. Spot the irony, I don’t even know in what universe BioWare takes more feedback than anyone else, it clearly isn’t ours.

7. freedoms_stain

Can we have the option for game pads in ME3 PC like wot we’ve been asking since the 1st one then?

8. Andreas2402

If they had a vision they wouldn’t have to listen to their fans and could make different games other than “hero joins faction and saves world with party”-crap.

Oh, and I’d say they just try to make their games as much appealing as possible to everyone.

9. klewd

ME2 was a great improvement. DA2 not so much. The community doesn’t necessarily know what’s best for themselves, I wouldn’t trust them to design your own game.

If you’re going to build exactly what the community wants, then I think we’ll end up with the same kind of games.

10. DSB

I can accept Dragon Age as a spiritual successor to Baldurs Gate. It didn’t have nearly the same scope, but you can’t expect that from a modern game. The fact that they made a nice big tactical RPG in this day and age was outstanding from my point of view.

I think DA2 and ME2 were two sides to the same coin. ME2 had more style and it was obviously the better engineered of the two, but ultimately it felt indistinguishable from any Ubisoft cover-shooter that I’ve played, with severely halfassed dialogue and a story that didn’t even try to live up to the first one. Mass Effect was always a flawed gem, but at least it was ambitious. It created the feel of an actual universe, and while it was obvious that they didn’t have the time to actually flesh out a lot of the smaller stories, at least they were part of the game.

Jesse Houston is the community manager, though. No matter how shit things get, he’ll be the last to admit it. He’s basically the company cheerleader. I’m sure they’ve gotten more fans by switching to action games, but in a world where ambitious developers like CD Projekt Red come along and essentially outdo them every step of the way, I think they should probably consider what they’re giving up.

11. Phoenixblight

“where ambitious developers like CD Projekt Red come along and essentially outdo them every step of the way, I think they should probably consider what they’re giving up.”

Just going to shake my head at this remark. WItcher 1 to Witcher 2 is the same leap as ME to ME 2. Its much more streamlined, less RPG elements then the original. This is where Witcher 2 failed the story was crapfest trying to force you to care about political crap while trying to make a history for Geralt but ultimately failed. Witcher 2 had a better talent system but that’s all it had going for it. Huge Disappointment for the series. Won’t be picking up another game of their’s ever again. Bulletstorm’s plot was more enthralling than that trash.

12. DSB

It is much the same as the leap between Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Except for the fact that they succeeded in doing it, without needing to water the game down.

They obviously have better writers, and they obviously didn’t want to compromise any of the complexity in the core game. It was flashier, prettier, and the menus were just as overproduced as they are in Bioware games these days, but with the major difference that the game remained challenging, it didn’t just borrow from what’s hot in game mechanics this week, it didn’t go cheap on morality, it remained true to its own lore, and it was as skillfully written as any high end US television show.

Just look at the sex scenes for a perfect reference. The Witcher 2 does actual sex. Mass Effect 2 launches into an awkward scene that might be written by a sexually naive 15 year old girl, with a result that could only really be associated with sex in romance novels or bad Hollywood movies.

It had a lot of insignificant errors to nitpick, but much like the original Mass Effect, it got it right where it actually counts.

That really says it all for how the rest of those games measure up to eachother. Essentially they did exactly what Bioware wanted to do with Dragon Age 2 – Except CDP:R’s game was actually good. I’m sure it stings as much for the people at Bioware, who wish they were still making games with depth, as it does for you.

13. Phoenixblight

Subjective I enjoyed Dragon AGe 2 much more than I enjoyed Witcher 2. I could care less about the sex scenes those are just bringing in the 12 year olds that never seen a girl naked. They brought no emotion in what so ever where Bioware games while cheesey still have that emotion tied with it. CDP was “here are some boobs. ”

“Except for the fact that they succeeded in doing it, without needing to water the game down.”

Oh yeah right because getting herbs and such were not easier in Witcher 2 but wait it was much easier to make items than it was in WItcher. The combat was still a button masher and the now included QTE’s. There also being much much smaller areas than the original game. The game was watered down, the combat was more flashier, the story was worse than the original, the list goes on and on. THe only thing they had done right was the talent system and made it more indepth and of course the eye candy.

14. DSB

Right, most opinions are subjective. That’s super observant, even if they do form a consensus.

I don’t remember ever mashing buttons in The Witcher. I almost wish I had been, the combat was woefully boring. In The Witcher 2 I actually had to concern myself with what spells I was using and how I was moving.

The crafting system was halfassed, but it wasn’t exactly a major element to the game, beyond simply arming yourself as you would in any other game.

And smaller areas, sure, but who liked running around in The Witcher? Personally I don’t see a developer realizing their mistakes and fixing them in the sequel as such a big minus, especially when they make it look that good. I wish Bioware would try to do the same, for once. But at this point I’m not holding my breath.

The worst part of the game is the uninspired elven ruins in the latter part, and the fact that it essentially stops in the middle of the plot. I consider the fact that I want more a good thing. With Mass Effect 3, I’m just about to the point where I’m expecting a world-ending clown robot to come after me.

15. Phoenixblight

“I wish Bioware would try to do the same, for once. But at this point I’m not holding my breath.”

Bioware has never been known for their areas most of them have been pretty static but Mass Effect 3 and the images and videos I have seen I am honestly impressed.

I agree with you on everything you stated except the Mass Effect 3 remark. I am just hugely disappointed with the story of Witcher 2, they shoehorn you in this plot which it should be important but how they did it. I personally didn’t get pulled into it like why should I care about Yennifer, you(CDP) just brought her up or why should I care about this political crap and that’s where they couldn’t deliver for me.

16. DSB

You’re right about Yennefer, the game doesn’t do a lot to establish her, but that’s probably because she isn’t a direct part of the game. I like the fact that it juggles a main plot, a sub plot and an overall arc. It takes a lot of attention to keep track, and personally I’m glad I had enough patience to fight my way through the first game, before I started the second.

Yennefer is really only important as a sub plot, in connection to greater arc about The Wild Hunt, while the game itself mainly revolves around the Kingslayers. I thought the politics part was interesting, it was just another part where the game chose not to patronize the player. There’s no reason to flesh out their individual traits and motivations like that. They could just make unequivocal bad guys and good guys.

I also like the fact that they actually bothered to get Northern Irish voice actors, rather than simply using Americans with incredibly bad accents.

17. IL DUCE

@16 Lol at the last line in your post, I’m looking forward to getting a chance to play it on 360

Basically, the moral of the story is play Bethesda RPGs…

But in all seriousness, I was so disappointed in Dragon Age 2 it was just a shell of the former game that Origins was…you can’t just get lazy and say listening to the community is applying what worked for Mass Effect 2 into Dragon Age 2…personally, I don’t give a shit if my character is fully voiced because he sounds like an idiot anyway, I’d rather him not talk and me just imagine he said what I chose in a cool way…and I’m sure people while probably not bothered having to be Hawke (like Shepard in ME), they were bothered on being restricted to a human…I wasn’t because I usually play as a human warrior anyway but I’m sure plenty of people wouldve rather been a dwarf or elf…

As for Mass Effect 2 I still enjoyed it, they did make it much more of a shooter than an RPG and couldve used more of an inventory/customization system like tradition RPGs but I still dug it…and I’m sure Mass Effect 3 will be fine as long as that slob Mike Laidlaw isn’t at the helm…I fully blame him for effing up DA2 and trying to convince everyone is was still tactical and actually a good game…

Mass Effect 1 had a 91 on metacritic, Mass Effect 2 had a 96 on metacritic…on the other hand, DA:O had an 86 on metacritic which dwindled to a 79 for Dragon Age 2…(all those scores were based on the 360 reviews)…so its one thing to listen to fans its another thing to make such drastic changes that most of the fans lose faith in your franchise

18. OrbitMonkey

Never listen to fans. Period. Right or wrong its the dev’s baby, not a mob of over entitled internet dweebs.