Bleszinski on the Wii U: “What’s old is new”

Monday, 11th July 2011 04:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Those dismissing the Wii U’s streaming tech as old news will buy it anyway, according to Gears of War creator Cliff Bleszinski.

“From what I’ve seen, it looks pretty cool,” the notoriously outspoken Epic designer told IndustryGamers of the Wii U at E3.

“But, you know, from what people are saying online, they’re like, ‘Oh, it’s just a DreamCast, whatever.’ But it’s like, ‘Dude, what’s old is new sometimes.’”

Bleszinski commented on the way gaming tech often appears before its time, and cycles back again.

“The Power Glove led to the Wii, right? The Virtual Boy led to the 3DS, right? A lot of these older technologies that you forget about are [the technological predecessors]. The Kinect is a sophisticated webcam, right?

“So I’m just dying to see it. It’s Nintendo. I’ll buy it. I know I’ll buy it. They’ll talk shit but they’ll buy it,” he said of detractors.

Thanks, Gamepro.

[image]

1. TikiSadZombie

No, The Kinect is a “sophisticated PS2 Eye Toy”.

2. Christopher Jack

“It’s Nintendo” That’s all some people need to know before buying. I for one won’t be buying any Nintendo console until they can prove that they can personally entertain me with adult games, I don’t enjoy the likes of Mario & Zelda, they feel, to me, like dumb downed platformers & adventure games respectively, I’d rather play Ratchet & Clank or even Fable. Of course millions will disagree with me but we’ve all got different tastes.

3. Erthazus

“or even Fable.”

No comment. Now thats a dumbed down shitty action adventure and another one is a Mario Galaxy| Mario 64 Rip Off in every aspect there is.

You are just showing that you are ignorant. You never played these games this generation and saying this bullshit is like saying that “Resistance, Killzone or Halo is better then Half-Life or Portal”.
    I want to see one Action Adventure title that have a battle system and collision detection like in Zelda: Twilight Princess. Demon’s Souls is close to that.

So no, their games are very adult, compared to shitty rip off’s with stupid cartoonish look and with lot’s of gays (Fable). If you don’t like a visual art of Nintendo games it’s your own problem.

4. Christopher Jack

Twilight Princess was pulled straight out of the late 90s. There’s nothing special about it unless, like most people, you actually like the franchise. I suggest stop viewing things exclusively from your own perspective & also stop assuming that your own opinion is right 100% of the time, because it’s not, it’s just an opinion.
    I absolutely loved some of the earlier Zelda games, it was innovative at the time, but it hasn’t grown up enough for me to continue paying attention. By that I don’t mean including mutilation & sex scenes, but it’s just become too simple.
    FYI, I do enjoy Killzone, Resistance & Halo much more than Half Life & Portal, I won’t way that they’re better but I sure as hell enjoyed them much more, but again, you’re dictating quality, who are you to decide for others how good a game is? Your opinion isn’t any more special than mine or even a troll’s. At least I make it clear that my opinions are simply my own personal views, you make it sound as if your opinions are facts.

5. Clupula

No, Cliff. I won’t be buying it. But then again, I don’t buy YOUR games either.