IO discusses why it took six-years to develop a new Hitman game

Saturday, 9th July 2011 21:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

IO Interactive’s Christian Elverdam, gameplay director on Hitman: Absolution, has explained to CVG why it has taken the team so long to create another entry in the Hitman series.

According to Elverdam, the main reason for the wait, had a lot to do with wanting better technology and the much discusses AI developed for the game.

“We’ve been building brand new technology,” he said. “We call it the Glacier 2 engine. We actually got to build that from scratch, so we had a chance to look at all of the previous titles and basically ask ourselves what the important areas to Hitman were, and how we could improve them.”

“We really knew we needed to build this new technology,” he continued. “If you look at the E3 presentation, the AI is now way more advanced than it ever was. It has far more nuanced behaviour. To give you an example, in the demo we have this hippy apartment and 47 comes in dressed as a police officer. Because these hippies don’t really care about the police, his disguise isn’t very effective.

“Their reaction to him as an officer isn’t to jump him; it’s to tell him to get out of the apartment, which is a new behaviour system. Now, if you come to the apartment dressed in the default suit, these hippies will be friendly to you. Conversely, if you are confronted by a police officer, they won’t necessarily draw their gun and try to shoot you immediately, especially if they haven’t seen any killings going on.

“Encounters with police can escalate into full-blown combat, though. If they call for backup, you’ll be faced with a more direct combat situation. This is the kind of stuff we really wanted to go full circle on. We wanted to go from the more black and white AI of the earlier games to something that’s more shades of grey.”

Hitman: Absolution is due on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2012.

1. osric90

So this would be a GREAT time to launch HITMAN HD TRILOGY which would include Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Hitman: Contracts and Hitman: Blood Money (one of the best games ever and that didn’t make it to the PS3 but the PS2 instead which was SAD). Even HITMAN HD COLLECTION (Silent Assassin and Blood Money) would be amazing and I’m sure would please many, many, many fans around the world. I can’t wait for this game but I can’t live without that I mentioned so sorry… I’ll go and cut my veins with crackers.

2. SamJ

I don’t know that this really explains why it was -six years- in the making, though it’s good to know their tech has come a long way. Gives me something to look forward to!

3. RedBirdiii

Yeah I totally agree with @1 we really need Hitman HD Triolgy.. I myself didn’t play any part of this and I’m willing play them in my current console..

4. Espers

it’s only natural, with each leap of new technology standards change like new game engines for nextgen. If you want to produce games with native 1920×1080 it will take you as much as 6 years to develop the first game, however every game that follows will be back to the normal time space.

From here on I think 2011 is first year of next-gen games. It’s really too early to talk about ps4 yet.

5. w8p

eh, the time has gone and left a lil’ bit…soon we have the chance 2 play it…i hope will not cancelled or something like this!:)

6. Jerykk

The Hitman games already have HD versions. Just play them on the PC.

Also, it doesn’t take 6 years to make a game that supports 1080p. It’s just a resolution. I play all my PC games at 1080p and many of them are console ports. If 1080p is to become standard on consoles, console makers will just need to use more powerful hardware in the next generation of consoles. Developers won’t have to make any significant changes to their development processes.

7. triggerhappy

^ not everyone knows how to edit a .ini

yes the hitman games can be forced to do 1080p widescreen but they don’t officially support it so you have to do some messing around.

also the don’t support controller either… xpadder is your friend though i suppose.

Hitman 3 needs a fov tool to stop the stretching. If anyone is thinking about doing this i suggest you use xp btw…

Bring on the HD Collection with trophies and achievements i say!!

8. Espers

@6 are you a retard ?!

By 1080p I mean, to be the standard the game gets built on !! I mean how much gaming elements you can force in a native 1080p resolution when designing a game !! Looks like you are still a newB