Assault, Engineer, Recon and Support detailed for BF3

Friday, 8th July 2011 15:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DICE has updated the Battlefield Blog with details on the four classes players can choose from in Battlefield 3.

The classes, Assault, Engineer, Recon and Support have been changed around a bit, and you will notice there isn’t a Medic class listed – something that has been mentioned before by the developers.

Instead, the Assault class, as previously noted, will have medkits and defibrillators on-hand to aid wounded or mostly-dead players.

Engineers, which have returned to the series, will be able to repair mechanical items such as vehicles as before, but the class is also “very adept at taking down vehicles as well.” They will go about this by using RPGs to take down armored targets, and they can also build “facades that enemy combatants may be using to take cover.” The class will also make use of Carbine weapons.

The Recon class, also known as the sniper class, will make use of the same abilities he used in Battlefield: Bad Company 2; however, those who choose to play Recon will make use of “several completely new teamplay oriented gadgets.” This way, he will be more of a team player, instead of a lone-wolf shooting stuff from on high.

Finally, the Support class, which is also returning, and can use light machine guns as well as lay down heavy fire.

“Support has always been about heavy infantry firepower from his LMG,” said Alan Kertz, senior multiplayer designer at DICE. “It’s a role that we’ve wanted to feel different than Assault’s running and gunning.”

Two new features will also be included with the Support class: Bipods and Suppressive Fire. Bipods provide a “substantial increase in stability while laying down a base of fire,” and can be deployed anywhere by zooming in with your LMG when “prone, or when standing/kneeling in front of suitable supports.” This helps provide an accuracy boost as well as recoil reduction.

Suppressive Fire, an all-new, in-game mechanic, will show incoming fire as a “graphical blur effect” on the Support victim’s screen to “stress him and let him know it’s not safe to pop out from behind cover.” It also affects the character’s in-game firing accuracy, making him less of a threat by using “real world tactics,” which will also net team play experience points.

“Supported shooting with Bipods and Suppressive Fire finally allows us to achieve an obvious difference between Assault and Support, since the heavy LMGs are not terribly mobile,” explained Kertz. “When deployed with a Bipod, they become an incredibly powerful force. Suppressive Fire forces the enemy to keep their head down and lets the Support gunner pin his enemies in place so teammates can flank.”

All of the classes detailed above can be customized according to how you want to play the game.

More on unlocks, persistence and customization will be detailed in a future Battleblog post, so keep and eye on the BFblog.

Battlefield 3 is out in October for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Maximum Payne

I read some were that recon class will have now idle sway on sniper rifles and it will have reflection when you longer watch trought scope that give away your position.

2. NeoSquall

I think Medic players will feel a bit pissed off by this news.

I am a Medic player.

3. NightCrawler1970

@2, snipering in real combat, suppose to stay low and undetected, but in game it considered “CAMPERS”….i guess i pass on this game….

4. NeoSquall

Also,

“Suppressive Fire, an all-new, in-game mechanic, will show incoming fire as a “graphical blur effect” on the Support’s screen to “stress him and let him know it’s not safe to pop out from behind cover.””

I think you meant “the Support’s victim screen”, or something like that.

5. DSB

Medics are a stupid mechanic to begin with. I was really excited when it said that medics were gone for good, because I figured people would have to try harder, but then it said they were just giving all their stuff to assaults, which is really a lot worse.

I think it’s retarded that someone can just go out and get himself fragged and then someone else will be able to get him up in less than a second. Unless they put a penalty on it, like a couple of seconds delay, it’s just rewarding people for not playing well.

It’s always interesting when you try to fuse real world elements into games, but I’m a little worried that they’re trying to exagerate something like supppression in an action game, let alone giving people points for NOT hitting someone. At some point you have to choose which path you’re gonna take in terms of realism or action, and that strikes me as a poor choice.

I don’t want to be incapacitated just because there are two guys bearing down on me. I think it’s enough of a handicap to have two guys to kill instead of one. Fucking someone elses gameplay up because someone shoots in his general direction strikes me as weird decision considering that they’ll be simplifying things like classes at the same time.

6. Grimrita

Interesting indeed. Personally I love Recon and thank god, prone has returned. So Assault will be able to drop medi packs and ammo boxes? Or will this pass on to support?

And Recon havent always been the loner. In BC2, I would always spot enemy units so those in the heart of the action can deal with them, or at least be aware of whats around them.

God, I am hovering my mouse over the pre-order button now

7. MadFingerz

BF2′s spec ops class will be missed.. :(

8. Lahanas

The first Bad Company – yes you read that right – was the perfect blend of pc and console Battlefield gaming. Five classes, spec ops and support included, huge maps, a great new mode (Rush), no health regen and other bs that DICE added in BC2 because they wanted to be like CoD.

BC1 doesnt get the credit it deserves. In some aspects its better than BC2.

9. Gekidami

I hope Snipers wont be able to artillery strike objectives into oblivion like they could in BC2.

10. OlderGamer

Damn is all i can say, this seems like a few giant steps backwards to me.

First thought is Gek is right sniper + mortar strike is just plan wrong and unbalanced.

Lahanas is also right, imo, BC one had the balance near perfect.

People seem worried about “supressing fire”, don’t be. Nothing says snip me/mortar me like constant fire signatures from a mounted gun. All that the support guy is gonna be saying is “shoot me, shoot me now!”

Combining the two top classes Assult and Medic is just stupid. By top, I mean most important to winning a team based focused game. To be able to supply, heal, and revive all on one char…why would you play anything else?

In BFBC2 I play mostly as Medic. I can adapt based on what the situation calls for. I will squad spawn on snipers to drop off amo boxes as assult. Or I will mine the hell out of the roads if defending. Or I can snip to spot and mortar when attacking. Thats hwy I love BF over CoD, the different ways to play. If anything we could have used more classes with a wider range of different skills. The last thing the game needed was to combine anything.

DSB:

“I think it’s retarded that someone can just go out and get himself fragged and then someone else will be able to get him up in less than a second. Unless they put a penalty on it, like a couple of seconds delay, it’s just rewarding people for not playing well”

I think why they do it is to mimic a larger field of players. In a game like Mag, for example, those type of revive machanics make no sense. Because when a player gets killed 12 more can be right there. You get a very active and alive battlefield. In Mag I have seen firefights that can last a long time, all over a strategic position on the battlefield. But with games like CoD and BF the games don’t have enough players to make it feel like a active and alive battlefield.

So healing and reviving, imo, become a way of extending fights over strategic points on the map. W/O them I wouldn’t enjoy the game nearly as much. We would be spawning, running to the “front” and dying, then respawning and rerunning. If squad plays together and has a good mix of classes, your going to be able to hold your position and advance forward, the backbone of that being resuplying amo and medkits and defeibulaters. And that is why it makes zero sense imo to have all of those skills on one class.

We are going to have a squad of assult players attacking in each match of rush. Maybe they should just give assults some motion tracking, land mines, RPGs, and a sniper rifle while they are at it(sarcasim).

11. DSB

@Geki The thing that bothers me the most about that is that they were so close to getting it right in BF2. The commanders role was extremely interesting, having to control the bigger picture.

There’s obviously a problem in him not being on the map, but imagine a battlefield-type game where that one guy can call in all kinds of support, from AI choppers to AI tanks, and place all sorts of support on the map, at the request of the people running around.

All the while giving suggestions to everybody else for where they might want to go. Maybe with an XP reward for doing it.

I’m getting excited just thinking about it. If only DICE dared.

@OG Obviously there’s no doubt that they have the system in place to avoid fiddling too much with spawning or spawn points, but in terms of affecting the gameplay, it’s just not worth it. It seems like a cheap and dirty solution to me.

All you have to do is look at some of the old BF2 mods, that introduced mobile spawn points. That’s one way of doing it. Simply allow people to move their bases forward, like an HQ in a real battle. Or, make sure that you place little OPs or CPs or any other kind of advanced post that people can take or build, to ensure that they remain at the front.

You could also make a system where a C-130 swoops in and drops people in parachutes, letting them land somewhere close to the heat, sorta like Section 8.

Letting people rise from the dead with no penalty is really not the only solution to that problem, and I think they picked a very poor one. Dying should matter when you’re competing online, and you shouldn’t just be able to stock up on one class to keep your entire team going independently of eachother. How many times have we played against teams of nothing but medics? Too many.

12. OlderGamer

I like your thinking DSB, mobile player controled HQ/bases type thing is interesting to say the least. The problem is, I think, they need to keep in mind that more copies of this game will be sold on the consoles then on PC. So need to tayler the experience for the Consoles.

BF2 didn’t have that problem.

13. DSB

I didn’t even think about that, but you’re probably right OG.

I strongly dislike being reminded of the limitations of consoles like that, it doesn’t endear them to me :P

Still, moving a spawn point shouldn’t be impossible. That’s a pretty simple mechanic.

14. NeoSquall

@DSB
    It’s cool that you can’t take care of your fellow team-mates in the battlefield, just don’t project your frustation in those that actually don’t care about sacrificing their precious K/D ratio to keep the team alive, even the lonely idiots that don’t care about their role and would kick aside “those useless medikits” they’ve tossed at them.

15. DSB

I haven’t said a word about not wanting to contribute. I’m talking about an unbalanced mechanic that lets people do stupid things, without needing to worry about it.

Burden of error is one of the key elements of any competition, from real world sports to online shooters. You drop the ball in a soccer match, you pay for it. The fact that you don’t pay for your mistakes is a pretty big issue to me as a competitive person, who likes to be challenged.

A lot of people have inferiority complexes about K/D ratios, apparently, but I’m guessing that’s because their D is usually not in a good proportion to their K. It’s a shooter, you shoot bullets out of guns, they kill people, you win the war. And winning is kinda the point.

I’m sure eventually someone will make an FPS that’s all about hugging people, and who can do the best male-on-male french kiss, and that’ll be great for you guys, but at that point I’m gonna respectfully pass.

16. OlderGamer

“Don’t worry, I’ll ress you as well if we happen to be in the same match, unless I am in the opposite team.”

I use the defibs on him if I was on the same team or not! I swear I run around with them equiped 90% of the time and get a my fair share of kills using the defibs on enimies.

17. DSB

They also make a great instant meatloaf.

18. NeoSquall

@16 I’m not that lucky, I ony killed 6 men with both defibs and syringes (in Vietnam), though I made a whopping 11 kills on BF2, many more than I did with the M203 attachment.

19. OlderGamer

…complete with its own red gravy!

20. Erthazus

Still not enough information for classes. I just hope they won’t go the easiest route with shitty clusterfuckness that they made with the sniper class to please Call Of Duty bots that know about team play Zero stuff.
    People that think that mortar thing is disbalanced. I don’t know. I kinda enjoyed that thing, but too fast regeneration with mortar is obviously just to please killstreak mechanic fan.

They’d better show how every class works on Gamescom. I’m Sad that i’m not going to there this year, but i was at the time when Battlefield:BC2 was announced. That was awesome.

@7, Yeah… I kinda enjoyed that BF2 had a lot of classes.

21. Gekidami

… Like MAG, then?

22. DSB

@21 I haven’t played MAG? Does it work like that?

Back in BF2 the commander was in charge of suggesting targets and dropping airstrikes and supplies.

23. Gekidami

Yeah, apart from AI tanks, in MAG the commander can do all of that.

24. DSB

Why the fuck isn’t that on PC? :P

25. NeoSquall

“Back in BF2 the commander was in charge of suggesting targets…”

fucking lol’d

also, these weren’t airstrikes, but barrages fired from the artillery placed in the maps.

26. DSB

@25 That’s obviously a humongous difference. I mean that’s a totally different way of delivering explosives! That completely undermines anything I’ve said. DAMN you’re good.

I’ll bet you that if you ask me, I also won’t be able to place the menu options in the correct order. Oh shit, I’m in trouble now!

Glad I was able to make your day, though ;)

27. NeoSquall

You are the one who’s acting cool by criticizing a class because its features don’t suit your vision of the game, while others enjoy playing it for the teamplay.

28. DSB

I really couldn’t care less if you throw a fit like a little girl, simply because I critisize what I consider to be a cheap mechanic in a game.

You’re free to like it the way it is, I couldn’t give less of a fuck. I just personally prefer online games to be a bit more challenging than that.

29. NeoSquall

If a mechanic is broken then a good developer should fix it or remove it if it’s not fixable.
    Are you saying DICE is not a good developer because they continue to put medic gameplay in their games?

Or maybe you should do better going to play ArmA and leave BF, with its broken mechanics and all, to us?

30. NeoSquall

Nice, you also edited your comment to remove the “broken mechanic”.

That’s a sign of weakness.

31. DSB

Hahaha. Are you five years old?! :P I edit my posts all the time, man. *EDIT* Your face is a sign of weakness! */EDIT*

Broken was obviously the wrong term to use, since it’s working as it’s supposed to. It’s just a cheap mechanic that saves DICE a lot of work in making a more complex spawning system, to keep people in the game, as stated above.

I think DICE used to be a good developer, and while I haven’t played BF1943, I think their latest games have been a soup of mediocrity. I used to love playing both BF2 and Rallisport Challenge, but I don’t have relationships with very many developers.

Currently I think they’re medicore. Does that mean I regret spending money on BC2? No, I enjoyed playing it, and I thought Vietnam was an improvement on the original game. It just got boring fast, and it’s not a game I’ll remember for years to come.

I think it’s pretty obvious comparing their present efforts to their old ones that they’re busier polishing their engines, than polishing their games, while obviously under a lot of pressure from their bosses to direct the game closer to CoD. Although the suppression thing mentioned above would certainly be a drastic move away from that.

Don’t even get me started on ArmA. That’s a lot more mediocre than BC2 will ever be. Although I enjoy playing around with that too, I’m just not a blind fanboy.

32. OrbitMonkey

So from reading this, as i’m a big ps3 cod fanbloke, i should probably play as a Assault dude. Just run & gun with a fellow assualt dude & through the ps3 telepathy link, we should reach the unspoken agreement to keep reviving each other :)

33. Erthazus

@NeoSquall, You should stop. He is a Call Of Duty fanboy. Everything that will come from DICE is going to be mediocracy for him. :D
    Mirrors Edge or Battlefield 3,4,5 and etc.

34. DSB

I don’t know where we’ll be in BF4, but in BF5 we’ll definitely be magically brought back to life by a shining blue unicorn everytime someone dares to fire a shot in anger.

I think kills and deaths should be taken out of shooters completely. They have no place in a wargame.

And we should be giving eachother flowers instead of running around with guns giving eachother exploding brains.

It’ll be great. One team runs around the map covered in safety foam so they don’t hurt themselves, and the other team tries to catch them so they can give them their lunchboxes and a peck on the cheek. It should be a love/kiss ratio instead.

Once you’ve delivered 3 lunchboxes you’ll get access to the “candyfloss” lovestreak, raining sugary goodness on the players below, for extra points. And at the end of each game, everybodys points get distributed to everybody else, so everybody has the equal ammount, and we’re all winners!

Seriously man, where’s the love?

*EDIT* (for the anal few)

Yes, yes. Let’s all listen to Erthazus with regards to preconcieved notions. That man is the most stable and balanced commentator I have ever seen. Logic is his realm, genius is his gift to the world.

35. OrbitMonkey

Erthazus warning others about Troll’s?!

4 phrases spring to mind…

“ooh the irony”, “takes one to know one”, “people in glass houses should not throw stones” & “the pot calling the kettle black”.

All seem appropriate ;)

36. DSB

Don’t throw irony at a glass house if you’re stoned, black and live in a kettle selling pot. Is what OrbitMonkey is saying.

37. manamana

I really rely on DICE. They will deliver. That beast will be balanced and it will be a whole lot of fun. All the different classes talking, all that bitchin’ because its not like this or that….we will see, but I’m shure it plays like hot melting chocolate cookies.

Come here little beta, come to papa!!!

38. Shonak

mostly-dead players? I hope this doesn’t seem that there will be some sort of Second Chance in this game. However, if it’s like that you basically suffer on the floor and just simply have to wait until your enemy gives you the final shot (the kill should be accounted when you drop “dead” though) or somebody revives you, than that doesn’t sound too bad. However, I am worried about the balancing too in case that assault has ammubox and medikits.

39. NeoSquall

@38 have you ever played Battlefield?

“mostly dead” means that you’re incapacitated and waiting for either the next “wave” or a medic to revive you.

40. DSB

Basically they just need a little vitamin shot or some electricity to make those nasty bulletholes go away.