Study: Games are most popular smartphone app

Thursday, 7th July 2011 19:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A new report from Nielsen states smartphone owners played games for eight hours a month during Q2 of this year.

During the past 30 days, games were also the most popular app with 64 percent of smartphone owners downloading the games, with weather apps coming in second.

According to the report, posted over on VentureBeat, iPhone owners played more games and for longer periods than Android owners. Nielsen found that iPhone users played games 14.7 hours each month, and Android owners played games for 9.3 hours each month.

Windows Phone 7 owners played games for 4.7 hours a month on the device.

Users were also willing to pay for the apps, compared to 76 percent of smartphone owners willing to buy news apps.

1. Virginityrocks

Hm. Weird. I hate playing games on my phone because it’s just a battery drain. My phone is a phone. The only app I regularly use is HippoRemote.

2. Dimaco

@1+1
    Same here, gaming drains the hell out of your mobile…
    I don’t believe all this talk about mobile gaming being the future and stuff.
    1)Control systems are plain LAME
    2)It simply DOESN’T match a gaming experience on a nice 40″ screen
    3)It practically makes your phone useless

It’s all bollocks…

3. Grimrita

playing games come in handy if youre stuck on the tube or having a long dump.

I downloaded Paperboy the other week and it was dreadful. The control systems were shocking – the same went for a Space Invaders clone. Hopefully, the new ios 5 will make things a little better.

4. DSB

1. It’s a touchscreen with a gyroscope, deal with it
    2. No rational person would expect a phone to compete with his console
    3. Sure, if you don’t charge it, or if you buy a cheap piece of crap with a batteryspan of 10 hours, but really, unless you play Angry Birds for six hours straight, your phone will be fine for the rest of the day.

Of course that could become a problem on a long planeride or some such.

5. Virginityrocks

I don’t want to charge my phone every day. Every 2 or 3 days maybe.

6. Dimaco

Yeah, I can see how probably 90% of all those games bought on appstores are actually used a couple of times and then just deleted…
    Happens to me every single time, at least.

So I still can’t see what this whole fuss of Apple being the future of gaming is.

7. OrbitMonkey

Hmm a few guys here obviously don’t hold a full-time job. I’d say thats where 40-50% of this market is. Workers in businesses that have strict IT control.

“oops boss coming, better pretend I’m texting”.

Free electric for battery charge too :)