Microsoft dismisses need for Nyko’s Kinect peripheral, Zoom

Thursday, 7th July 2011 15:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has responded to the impending sale of Nyko’s Zoom, which allows Kinect owners to use the camera with 40 percent less space required.

According to MS, “Kinect has been tested for performance, accuracy and environmental conditions thoroughly,” a rep told CVG. “Any modification can impact the overall performance of Kinect.”

Japan-based Nyko are “proud of the design and technology accomplishments achieved with the Zoom”, and the firm has registered several patents for the device to “ensure the first and only play space reduction lens for Kinect remains a mainstay of the Nyko line”.

The peripheral, which clips onto Kinect, was a big hit at E3 this year and won many awards. It is set for release on August 23 for $29.99.

1. Deacon

Why on earth didn’t Microsoft think of this first?

All they talk about is Kinect these days but they don’t seem to be able to acknowledge any of its shortcomings – the space needed to play being one (of many).

By replying I am giving the notion that I give a shit about this. Which I do not.

2. naffgeek

I enjoy my Kinect but really don’t enjoy moving the frickin sofa to play two player so I am all for this.

As for Microsoft dismissing it, that would mean having to admit that it wasn’t perfect in the first place.

I’ll definitely be getting one of these and use my kinect a lot more because of it. (as long as it comes out before Elder Scrolls, Arkhum and BF3 anyway)

3. Telepathic.Geometry

MS denies problem exists. Problem nonetheless exists. That is all.

4. Dannybuoy

It can affect the overall performance? It must work ok though right?

5. pukem0n

i sold my kinect after a week because moving the living room table was too much of a hassle. also didnt have space for 2 players.

6. marijnlems

“The XBOX 360 has been tested for performance, longevity and environmental conditions thoroughly. Reports of system failure, resulting in a so-called Red Ring Of DeaTh, have been greatly exaggerated.”

7. Gigabomber

truth is that this is necessary, and even moreso for the Japanese market where houses tend to be on the smaller side.

8. drewbles82

the only reason i have yet to purchase a kinect is because of space. I dont have enough. Most people i know have the xbox in their bedroom, I do have a fairly big room but at the moment, nowhere near enough to play kinect. With this i could probably just about have enough room.
    Didnt a games magazine get its presenters 2 go home and test kinect in their homes, all of them didnt have enough room, some could play but not to the full extent, one even had the neighbours come and complain cuz of the jumping around.