Reggie doesn’t think Wii U is “going to be a hard sell”

Wednesday, 6th July 2011 21:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

NOA’s Reggie Fils-Aime doesn’t believe Wii U will be a “hard sell” to consumers once it is released.

Speaking in an interview with Forbes, Reggie implied that having two screens to play around with will be the biggest selling point, and it won’t confuse folks either.

“What we are doing with Wii U is creating an ability for games to leverage two different screens; the big screen in your room, and the smaller handheld screen in front of you,” he said. “By doing so it opens up all of these different experiences.

“The experience I use to describe it to someone is to imagine a first person shooter, where instead of constantly having to look at the screen, now I’ve got things happening all around me. It’s a great experience.

“I don’t think it’s going to be a hard sell. I think that communicating to consumers through the magic of the second window, you can have a totally unique experience, with another player still in the room… I don’t think it’s a difficult sell.”

Reggie told Jimmy Fallon last month Wii U will be released sometime after April 2012.

1. vodka-bull

I, personally, have never seen an interview with a company representative who said “nah, don’t know, could be a tough one to sell”.
    He’s doing and saying exactly what he gets paid for.

2. ultramega

Of course he’s gonna make that statement.

3. Gama_888

Well we’ll see wont we, people still have there Wii’s gathering dust on the side.

4. IrrationalGamer

After Nintendo of America has refused to put out Fatal Frame 4, Pikmin 2, The Last Story, Xenoblade, and Pandora’s Tower, it really shows that they don’t care about the core gamers on Wii. If they were afraid of losing money, I’m sure they could have put out limited quantities. These poor decisions by Nintendo are coming at a time when Wii gamers will be waiting a full year between major releases (DKCReturns to Skyward Sword). It’s a good thing I have a PS3, otherwise I’d have to find a new hobby.

This lifelong Nintendo fan has been repeatedly focusing on Nintendo systems for games, but that won’t be the case anymore. Instead, because I like to play games, I’ll be buying a PS4 first, and maybe, if I feel like it, a Wii U.

5. Clupula

I won’t be buying one.

6. OlderGamer

I am on the pre-preorder list for mine at my local store.

Really, not kidding.

7. Just-Joe

Sure live up to your name, don’t you?

8. Clupula

@6 – Then you are more deserving of pity than mockery.

9. Teabag

I don’t think I am fat as well.

10. IrrationalGamer

@ #7 if you were a gamer then you’d know that I named myself after the developer, Irrational Games. You’re not though, and that’s why you stick up for Nintendo no matter what they do.

Like, seriously, how can anyone defend the Wii’s lineup for 2011? Nintendo had the perfect opportunity to put out those games (especially Last Story), but they aren’t, and so people who would like to play new games on their Wii can’t.

11. vodka-bull

Mod your Wii and import it, it’s easy as hell. If you really want to play a game you’ll find a way to do so.

12. marijnlems

@11 And I suppose we should learn Japanese while we’re at it?

13. ultramega

Sweet excuse, bro. Are you on Nintendo’s payroll?