Rumour: PS4 to feature Kinect-like motion support, 2012 launch mentioned

Monday, 4th July 2011 10:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

PlayStation 4 will have motion controls on par with Kinect, according to a heavy DigiTimes rumour.

The report claims that production on the machine will begin at the end of the year for a 2012 launch from Foxconn and Pegatron Technology.

It also cites a shipment number of 20 million units for the launch.

It follows several reports in the last couple of weeks of a E3 2012 unveil for the next Xbox, with Nintendo also prepping Wii U for a release next year.

Kotaku had previously reported a 2014 launch at the latest for both the new Sony and MS machines, or 2013 at the earliest if shoved.

Recently, however, SCEA boss Jack Tretton seemed to dismiss any talk of a next-gen PlayStation arriving soon.

“What we’ve seen from the competition is trying to add features that already exist in PlayStation 3. … I wouldn’t look for any discussion of a next generation PlayStation for quite some time,” he said.

Here’s the salt. There’s plenty of it.

1. ExxonValdez

THIS CANNOT BE?! lol nah new consoles are cool I guess..

2. Zarckan

LOAD OF BOLLOCKS!

3. StolenGlory

Well, that’s my quota of bullshit taken care of for the day.

4. minxamo

…and there goes the gaming industry.
    It’s been fun.

5. Blerk

Pft. It will also be delivered BY JESUS! ON A UFO!

6. drewbles82

its pretty simple that they are all working on their new consoles

2012 E3 ull see the new consoles, a lil bout them, what they can do, maybe a tech demo.

2013 E3, u’ll get the loads of the first batch of games coming out for it, loads more details on the consoles, maybe even on the show floor for people to try out.

Then Holiday season 2013 they will be released.

7. strikkebil

announced 2012, out 2013. ps3 has been a disaster. its my favourite system cos of the games but they need to move on.

8. Erthazus

Bollocks of giant proportions.

but i wish it was true. This gen consoles can’t even do proper 720p image… so much for the HD era.

9. DrDamn

MS did an E3 announce and release in the same year with the 360. Wonder if they might try that again? Unless you are going for an earlier release the following year it’s quite a long time from E3 2012 until Holiday 2013.

10. Telepathic.Geometry

I would barely believe a 2012 reveal, let alone a release. My guess is 2012 Wii U, 2013 XBOX Next, 2014 PS4.

11. tenthousandgothsonacid

I think it’s pretty much a given xbox3 will be out next year.

Reasons :

MS have all but given up on software for the 360

They’ll want to be first out of the blocks again like they were this gen.

Making the new wii look pointless so early would be fun for them…

12. Fin

Bro, I’m just saying, if you’re complaining that this generation of consoles isn’t able to do a proper 720p image, maybe you should find a new hobby?

13. drewbles82

@9, people knew about the 360 before. It would be really bad marketing to show at E3 for the 1st time and release that same year.
    They will show it 2012, get feed back from people, games developers etc and make any changes for the 2013.
    They dont have time to do anything if releasing same year as announced and shown.
    They also dont give customers a change to think about it, start saving for the new console. They want big sales so they will give people chance to learn about the console and save.

14. Lounds

@12 so you don’t remember SONY back in 2005 saying there console will be able to play all games in 1080p then? The reason us “proper” gamers pick on it is that consumers are lied to. If you say you’re going to deliver an experience, then you should go through with it, end of day SONY took a gamble on Cell CPU and it back fired.

CELL should of been for PS4 + shit loads of RAM.

15. StolenGlory

Completely agree with everything you said there.

Specifically that old Sony line from E3 2005 – “HD starts when we say it does” still rings in my ears today and some six years on, we’re still waiting Sony.

16. Clupula

@15 – Yeah, you’re right. I hate that the PS3 only does 480p. Oh wait…

17. StolenGlory

The inference was that the machine could do 1080p consistently given that at the time, the 360 wasn’t even thinking about 1080p at that point (it was later implemented in an update).

Nice, if predictable sarcasm though :)

18. Noodlemanny

NO I just got a PS3 I don’t want to have another console cycle realised instantly. Better not have backwards compatibility because then I would of wasted 250 quid on a PS3 slim like a few months ago.

19. MadFingerz

Kinect-like motion = the improved eye toy. It’s obvious they’ll go on that direction and also improve on the PS Move, even if just to continue selling them as peripherals. They still need to measure the success of Move and if it translated into enough sales to justify it being the basis of the new system.

20. Clupula

I’m made of sarcasm, son.

Anyway, this article is, as they say across the pond, shite. I wouldn’t be surprised by a 2012 reveal and then a 2013 release or, as I think will be more likely, 2013 reveal/2014 release, but to just release it next year when they haven’t actually made any mention of it whatsoever, I don’t see it happening.

21. typeface

Since the source of the rumour is digitimes, the accuracy of this would be approx 7% based on previous rumour accuracy (they’ve gotten more wrong than right). Plus there’s issues about this being mistranslated as well.

22. viralshag

I kind of hope motion control and 3D get side-lined before the next console cycles. I think MS and Sony have wasted enough money in designing motion control hardware that just isn’t for the crowd that spend money on their consoles.

Fair enough, I have a Kinect (no Move), but it’s gathering dust. Which is pretty much what I hear about people that have a Wii. Let’s think about it, if the average age of a gamer is 30 (or whatever it is) and motion control is at its best with groups and parties, how many 20-40 year olds are constantly having get together just to play videogames?

And I’m not saying people don’t have or do things with friends, I’m being specific to meeting up and playing games as opposed to enjoying a BBQ or just getting a bit tanked up before a night out. It’s a one off thing in my opinion. I don’t expect to pay more for the next consoles just because it has it built in or has improved integration of motion control.

@ 10, “XBOX Next” – I think you mean “NeXbox”…

23. DrDamn

The first official reveal of the 360 was on MTV in May 2005 – not that long before E3 which was later that month. Feedback from devs would already be well underway. MS got devs involved at the early planning stages of the 360 in 2003.

24. Blerk

I remember watching the Xbox reveal-o-show on MTV. It was fucking dire!

25. The_Red

They won’t release the next gen so soon. The only threat is Wii U and all they need to do is cut the price to somewhere below $200. Same goes for the 360 though they have the Kinect advantage as well.
    Next gen tease will be at E3 2012 but they’ll need another year to build up momentum and hype. Just like Kinect had 2 E3 showings before being released.

26. Dannybuoy

I don’t comment on rumor and speculation

27. Razor

Hilarious.

28. daytripper

if Sony are to announce a PS4 i hope they dont give codename names and alien technology type statements, first we had emotion engine then cell. just show games and what the machine is capable of.

29. DSB

I’m pretty sure all empassioned PS3 owners just collectively shat themselves.

I can’t imagine Sony actually doing it, though.

30. Kaufer

The new dualshock controller will have a multi-touch screen in the front AND a touch panel in the back. Its totally not a gimmick!

31. YoungZer0

@8: Wow really? No proper 720p image? That has to be the hundredth time you mention this. Thank you for reminding us.

32. DrDamn

And no 3D grass, completely incapable of that game defining feature, 3D grass.

33. Deacon

@14 & 15 – FF13 runs at 1080p and is one of the better looking games on the system.
    You can’t really blame Sony for devs not taking the time to optimize their software. But you CAN blame then for making it pretty damn tough to get to 1080p.

I keep hearing people mention ‘saving up’ for these new consoles too…
    Does your ‘average’ gamer really need more than a month or two to save for a new console? (considering the average age to be somewhere in the 30′s). If it takes more than a few months then you’re in the wrong job or shouldn’t have had those seven children.

34. StolenGlory

Final Fantasy XIII does not natively run at 1080p.

It runs at 720p and is upscaled to 1080p if you have a telly capable of doing so.

35. Erthazus

@Deacon, cool story bro. FFXIII runs in 720p and it can be upscaled to 1080p.
    Native resolution and upscale are two different things. FFXIII on PS3 in true 1080p would run 10-15 fps at max.

36. DrDamn

So what’s not proper about FFXIII?

37. Deacon

shit I had no idea ; ( my bad.

Bit cheeky slapping 1080p on the back of the box wot?
    That leads me to ask are there ANY games that run in a native 1080p????

[[ IGNORE THAT ]] just found a list. Interesting….

38. StolenGlory

It’s generally only some PSN stuff mate that runs in 1080p I believe such as WipEout and stuff like that.

Also some Sega games run in 1080p native too, such as Virtua Tennis 3 but ultimately the selection is very small.

39. Deacon

^ http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/2247017?start=0&tstart=0

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a more recent list?

40. StolenGlory

The most up to date list I could find was this:

Playstation 3

Full Auto 2 (demo) = 1920×1080 (4x AA)
    Gran Turismo 5: Prologue = 1080p mode is 1280×1080 (2xAA) in-game while the garage/pit/showrooms are 1920×1080 with no AA. 720p mode is 1280×720 (4xAA)
    MLB09: The Show = 1280×720 (2xAA) or 1920×1080 (no AA)
    NBA07 (demo) = 1920×1080 (no AA)
    NBA08 (demo) = 1920×1080 (no AA)
    NBA Street Home court (screenshot) = 1920×1080 (no AA)
    Ridge Racer 7 (demo) = 1920×1080 (no AA)
    World Series Of Poker 2008 = 1920×1080 (2xAA)

PSN GAMES

1942: Joint Strike = 1280×720 (4xAA) or 1920×1080 (2xAA)
    Blast Factor = 1920×1080 (no AA)
    Calling All Cars (screenshot) = 1920×1080 (4x AA)
    Commando 3 = 1280×720 (4xAA) or 1920×1080 (2xAA)
    Echochrome = 1920×1080 (2xAA)
    Elefunk = 1920×1080 (4xAA)
    Fat Princess = 1920×1080 (no AA)
    Go Puzzle = 1920×1080
    GTHD = 1440×1080 (no AA) – Vehicle selection is rendered at 1920×1080
    High Velocity Bowling = 1920×1080 (no AA)
    Locoroco Cocoreccho = 1920×1080 (2x AA)
    Pixel Junk Monsters/Racers/Eden = 1920×1080
    Rocketmen = 1920×1080 (2xAA)
    Stardust HD = 1280×1080 (no AA) pre-update, 1920×1080 (no AA) or 1280×720 (4xAA) post-update
    Sudoku = 1920×1080
    Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection (screenshot) = 1920×1080 (no AA), not always?
    Wipeout HD = dynamic-framerate-dependent 1080p framebuffer (1280×1080 to 1920×1080)
    Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 = 1920×1080 (2xAA)

41. Gekidami

Preorder now!:

…If you’re Swedish.

42. Deacon

Wow. Just, wow.

43. Gheritt White

Any PS4 before 2014 will be a complete rush job.

I think you’d have to be incredibly naive not to think MS will launch the X720 in 2013, though.

44. Gama_888

No way is Ps4 out in 2012.
    Although i do think Sony are going to try get it out near to the next Xbox, they dont want to be losing out by a year again.

And im naturally assuming it will run full 1080p in 3D with multiple applications running, e.g. skype, built in music player, web browser etc etc.

As for the kinect like motion support, If its built in and used primarily for controlling the interface and things like that, im ok with this.

And FULL Vita integration in every way possible.

45. IL DUCE

Well they both said the system’s lifespan would be 10 years…but that doesn’t mean the next gen console cannot also be available at the same time, just like the PS2 continued selling while the PS3 was available…

But what now Sony fanboys? Those who have hated and talked so much smack about how whack Kinect is and now if this rumor ends up being true…looks like Sony is even less original than MS, and taking their “gay/stupid/useless” motion tech(as all the Sony fanboys called it) and putting it in their next system…must be a slap in the face to Sony faithful who spent so much time going out of their way to hate on MS/Kinect over the past year plus…(even though all their inventive Sony made was a WiiHD)

46. Christopher Jack

@45, Who gives a shit about what the Fanboys from either side think? I couldn’t care less if the PS4 came with a camera capable of tracking 3D motions, I’ll likely never use it to play a game because I still believe that you really can’t for my kind of games.
    Sure shove it into the casual & gimmicky stuff, just don’t use it as an excuse to ruin what was once a perfectly good game because I still maintain that it’s not for gamers but it won’t stop them from rushing to the shops to get another hunk of trash sitting near the tv to collect dust.
    Only problem I have with Kinect was how much MS cut back before releasing the hardware, now we’re left with a VGA camera that can barely utilize the damn tech.

47. Clupula

@45 – Wow, you sure spend a lot of time worrying about what other people think.

48. NightCrawler1970

So Jack was right, PS4, anytime soon :D, he already spoiled LOL..
    I think the PS4 will and can handle the next generation HD

Is allot better that that poor 720 huh? oh i forgot, for those that just bought the 3D TV, well you can throw that in the garbage, yall have to spend money on a new TV :P

49. OrbitMonkey

The real question is, will it be able to run battlefield 4 at 60 fps?

50. DuckOfDestiny

Even Nintendo know Motion Controls is a dead horse.

51. DSB

@50 I’m pretty sure that mountain of gold they’re all rolling in tells them otherwise.

52. NoxNoctisUmbra

I can’t wait. Either way PS4 and Xbox should have all games on 1080p and 60FPS.

But 3D suppose to be big, so maybe create 120FPS non 3D games? and 60fps in 3D mode? That be awesome.

Either way I can’t wait, these days PS3 and Xbox are pretty on par with popularity, the reason is because PS3 is bit more powerful but it does not put xobx to shame with graphics.

If either xbox or PS4 is 2 times the power over one another, that will be a final nail in the coffin for the other console.

53. daytripper

is it so wrong to want button non motion controllers for the next generation of consoles? i’m probably narrow minded but for me motion controls would only be truly satisfying when technology around 2068 allows your brain to see and feel actually being in a game…:-(

54. Clupula

If I somehow manage to live to 2068, I’ll still want to use a controller, instead of motion control. You can put attach the Dual Shock 7 to my cane.

55. KL

@45 you seem to dismiss something called Ps Eye which evolved to eytetoy,move and later on will be upgraded as well.
    You’re much worse than those you’re calling for

56. ultramega

They said the same thing about Vita (also denying its existence), even though there were accurate reports about it for over a year before its announcement.

I really hope to see some successors to the 360 and PS3 within the next year or two.