Supergay iOS game has “first gay superhero”

Friday, 1st July 2011 22:50 GMT By Andrew Groen

Are you tired of all those obsessively, overly heterosexual male characters in video games? Then you might want to scope out Supergay, which the developer says is the first gay superhero.

As interesting as the game and its character seems, we hasten to point out that Supergay is most definitely not the first gay super hero. That honor belongs to Marvel character Northstar who came out in 1992.

There have been plenty of groundbreaking superheroes in the years since that too.

That said, Supergay is very likely the iPhone’s first gay hero. The game stars Dr. Tom Palmer who is working on a complex cloning project while wrestling with his own sexuality as his heterosexual wedding looms.

We’re not too sure where the game goes from there, but it’s said to include fighting, stealth, racing, and rhythm dancing elements.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Gay.

2. ExOAte

@1 lol >:3

No homo tho

3. Brenna Hillier

I came in here to be outraged but I see Andrew’s already given credit where it’s due to pioneering gay heroes. Nice.

4. YoungZer0

@3: Indeed, thanks Andrew for your gay knowledge. :P

5. DSB

Superman wasn’t gay? Yeah, believe that.

6. Death Proxy

Batman is first

7. 2plus2equals5

the first thing that came to mind

8. Christopher Jack

Hmm, no homophobia yet, that’s a great sign of progression. I’ll be the first to admit that the fact that 2 guys are sleeping together is weird but what people do behind closed doors is their own business, if a gay guy wanted to hang out with me, I’d be fine with that, as long as he doesn’t make any moves on me.

9. Hunam

@9 That’s kinda what homophobia is though, saying I’d be fine as long as…

10. Bloodyghost

What? Either this was made to cause laughs or someone wanted to achieve a stupid milestone.

Either way, good for them.

11. Christopher Jack

@10, Kind of, but it doesn’t alter my overall opinion of the individual, wouldn’t want a morbidly obese woman hitting on me either. I don’t care if a person is black or white, fat or anorexic, male or female, straight or queer-we’re all the same to some extent-point is, I don’t believe in discrimination.

12. THEBEARJOOO