Microsoft merges Games for Windows with Xbox.com

Friday, 1st July 2011 21:34 GMT By Andrew Groen

Microsoft’s PC gaming service will soon become just another branch of console gaming hub Xbox.com.

The news came by way of a brief announcement on the Games for Windows homepage.

The announcement, which is still up, reads, “”Games for Windows Marketplace will fully transition over to Xbox.com. Now you can get all of your gaming needs in one place. It’s convenient, it’s concentrated, and it’s a whole lot of great games.”

It will be interesting to watch the GFW brand over the next few months to see if this is truly an attempt to consolidate their gaming services. Or if Microsoft is just throwing in the towel against growing opponents like Steam and all-new competitors like EA’s Origin.

1. deadstoned

I hope they’ve given up the whole thing was run by the Xbox team and I hate that buggy drm program.

2. el duderino

Please die already

3. Lounds

Shittest piece of crap ever, ruined GTA4, FO3

4. Ge0force

This sucks. Microsoft has no feeling with pc-gamers in any way. There’s a reason why they play on pc and not on the much cheaper x360. It will be a matter of time before Microsoft pushes the Gold abo again. Yeah, this really sucks.

5. sg1974

surprised they didn do this sooner, its a no brainer. May piss off a lot of gamers especially non Xbox owners but it makes perfct business sense.

6. Talkar

#3 no that was bethesda that did that x) They basically raped the Fallout franchise.

#OT
    I’m quite curios as to of what is going to happen, could be that GFW will improve and actually get som content on it now x)

7. GwynbleiddiuM

Above everyone else, I’m the angriest and more pissed off dude at crapfest named Games for Windows Live or in my experience OFF.. I still haven’t played a single online match with my DiRT 2, OFP:DR and BioShock 2, all thanks to region restriction of Games for Shitdows OFF…. May all those responsible go to hell.

8. Keivz

I personally love GFWL. Very user friendly, I like the achievement system and the way you’re notified, and I’ve never had problems with it. Makes me want to play some GTAIV right now!

9. Big_Boss

@8 WTF is wrong with you!?

I’m sick of Microsoft’s bullshit and treating PC gamers like crap. They hate us because we are not playing on their console, not paying yearly fee for online, not playing by their corporate rules that are designed to suck the money out of your pocket with whatever shit they can think of. Microsoft does not support PC gaming because they don’t make an ass load of money off of it. GFWL needs to die!!!

It was shit when it first came out and hasn’t improved one bit. The only online service I like on PC is Steam. because they don’t fuck you over and actually enhance PC gaming with great pricing, game updates directly from their servers, sales that are down right amazing … etc.

At least Microsoft is showing their true colors, because they never cared about PC gaming to begin with. Let’s hope games don’t use GFWL ever!

10. Maximum Payne

and this change what exactly ?

11. Talkar

Yeah! Microsoft doesn’t support PC gaming! Now what was this little, hardly used technology that they came up with? It’s not very known or used, hardly anybody knows about it, i think it was called DirectX…

12. rainer

This had to happen as Xbox Live service is being integrated into Windows 8 OS.

Also Microsoft is trying to move the Xbox Live service past the meaning that is is just xbox games only, like Windows Phone 7 uses Xbox Live.

Ultimately their long term strategy is to merge smartphone and Windows PC OS so your using the same platform regardless of whether it’s a PC, laptop, smartphone or tablet.

13. b0y

the only thing xbox got is stoled pc developers and games.
    the competition should be between ps3 and pc not ps3 and xbox 360
    xbox 360 is a dustbin.
    no exclusive just cheap box which is used for dvd movies.

14. aseddon130

i dont get the universal hate for GFWL, it has always worked perfectly for me and integrates into PC games very well. Being an avid 360 owner it’s nice to link my profiles together and have it all in one profile, same with Windows Phone 7.

The only bad thing about GFWL was GTA4, but that wasn’t M$’ fault it was just a badly done port that kills my PC whenever i try playing it.

15. absolutezero

Soooooooo its just happenstance that both the positive views expressed about GfWL read exactly the same and are also similar to a very corporate line.

GfWL was broken at launch, its a little bit better now but my God the steps you need to take in order to get into what you want is still fucking massive. Thats even if it works at all.

Theres nothing worse than getting a patch for a GfWL game.

16. blackdreamhunk

who really cares like a lot of pc gamers are on windows live.

17. deadstoned

Microsoft has become a synonym for failure in the PC community. People have no faith in company that makes such stupid decisions.

18. azmza

If they take it serious to combine Pc and Xbox is that mean that i have to pay monthly or yearly fees!! like xbox live for online, then it will be too bad for pc gamers.

19. freedoms_stain

@19, actually when GFWL was 1st introduced it required a gold sub for online play, but it was such an abject failure that they had to abolish the charge because GFWL titles with multiplayer were just not selling.

20. Joe_Gamer

I don’t really consider this a big deal. All it means is that you’ll be able to buy PC games from your xbox. Pretty unlikely really as PC gamers are the best equipped to realize what an epic ripoff the xbox is. With it’s 1000% markup hard drives(my PC has 5TB my xbox has 20GB?), $70 wifi adapters, and a fucking subscription to do all the nifty multi-player things that are free on PC, I can’t even download a fucking demo without a gold sub anymore.

Since PC gamers are so extremely jaded against GFWL I really doubt this will net them much in the way of sales, I know I won’t be picking out any PC games on my xbox. I’m also the only PC gamer I know who actually has an xbox, so if I’m not gonna be buying then who is? Pointless PR move is pointless.

21. bpcgos

Why oh why you GFW, its trully weird decision. Steam will be unbeatable if you do something like this. Why?? Let me presents you with one comment that sum it all up about the reasons why steam will always be no.1 until someone willing to copy this formula.

quote drom markcockjin @RPS comment thread of this article http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/02/the-rps-bargain-bucket-simply-delivering/ :

“All I have to say is, Valve and Steam are doing the most important job here for PC gaming by turning a highly competitive games market into a community of people who share the love for gaming.

Instead of fragmenting fans into die hard groups loyal to a particular franchise or developer, Steam shows you what games you missed, and gives you the chance to appreciate new genres you may have never bothered to try. Turning on Steam is like going to a party.

To tell you the truth, I was so depressed reading about Origin and how they want their share of the pie. What pie are they referring to? Valve’s? All I see are PC gamers who are free to communicate and relate to each other when before, they weren’t even able to. You have Ubisoft who cooks up crazy plans to make it more complicated to play. Microsoft who secretly wants to kill PC gaming and port XBox Live to PC. You have Rticello and DICE saying that they are going to kill CoD and how it’s rotten to the core. On the other hand, you have Gabe who says that CoD is actually good for games like it because gamers normally want to play more than one game of a certain type.

Then you have the Steam Summer Sale where you read comments of people having fun playing a low metacritic-rated game because there are these little prizes you can get fo-reals. These aren’t just the dudebro fratboys or the Hammer Legion Members. You see comments from people who don’t even speak English or pee standing up.
    PC Gaming does not belong to these CEOs and stockholders. It belongs to the gamers and the games we decide we like“.