EA holding Summer sale on July 4th

Friday, 1st July 2011 16:11 GMT By Andrew Groen

Electronic Arts will be holding a large Summer sale across several different platforms starting on July 4th.

It may not be as epic as Steam’s truly unholy mega sale that started yesterday, but it’s still not bad if these are games you’re interested in. EA has virtually every modern game they own the rights to on sale.

From Mass Effect 2 and Bad Company 2 to Dead Space iOS and Monopoly, pretty much anything you could want is at least 40% off.

EA has coined it their “biggest sale ever“. So celebrate the birth of the United States and pick up some shiny new games on American Independence Day.

1. DSB

Steam has actually managed to sell several of those titles for less. I think a consolation prize is in order.

2. polygem

i always manage to miss the sales…always. a week after i convinced myself to finally get bf1943 and vietnam there was this 50% sale on all the battlefield stuff…i don´t even bother to let that bother me…grrrrrrrrrr

3. OlderGamer

EA can take a long walk on a short peir for all I care. Steam is where it is at. origin can bite me.

4. Golden

I like EA a lot and have a lot of time for them but their Xbox sale is crapola

5. DSB

@2 Dude, the exact same thing happened to me with the Witcher 2. Still, it was worth it even with the full 30% extra.

6. endgame

if only their crap client (origin) would have worked..

7. GwynbleiddiuM

Origin will not succeed no matter how much EA gloss it and shine it up. It just can’t beat Steam, and if they make that hideous move that I expect them to do and eventually pull their stuff out of Steam or hold on to their future big titles they’d even lose more than just Origin. It is absolutely pointless to install a client that is crappy and with regional limitations and broken support, and it is incredibly stupid to get those games available on steam anywhere else.. The way I see it [of course] and my predictions were accurate about EADM and any other single dimensional crappy publisher digital store with horrible clients will fail and so miserably too. Waste of space IMO, why would I even chose that thing over models like Steam, GoG.com and even D2D that are working fine with very limited issues and a wider range of products?!

I just can’t find it in me to dig EA’s Origin. Sure that way they control the prices of their products it is more beneficial for them to eliminate the middle man and make profit, but it’s too late for that now, as this is superbly idiotic to have multiple clients for every different publishers out there.

Just take a look at this pic, since Origin’s website went up all I see is this: http://up.iranblog.com/images/3sj2uf0obyj35nug71w6.jpg

8. darksied

Ok, I might sound like a fanboy for arguing with you, but there were so many things in your comment that I don’t agree with at all.

1. Origin is not crap (yes, this is my opinion). If you actually use it, then there’s is NO denying that it has benefits even over the steam client. Yes, it’s not Steam; it will never be, and I don’t think it’s trying to be. It does have it’s issues, but you don’t have to have it running in the background (unlike Steam). Activate your game once and you’re done, never run it again. And you can install your games an unlimited number of times, just like Steam.

2. They already said they’re not pulling their stuff off Steam. They had to remove that ONE game because of licensing issues or some conflict in policy, or something. Every other EA game is still on Steam, take a look yourself.

3. You mention D2D, Steam, and GoG, so I’m assuming that you already have bought games from them all. If you have, you already have at least 2 logins and 2 clients. The EA one would make 3. One more doesn’t make that much of a difference. I don’t use D2D, but I have Impulse, Steam, EA, and Green Man Gaming, and have bought from GoG. My favorite client is the EA one because it doesn’t need to run to play the games.

4. It IS better to have multiple sites with multiple clients. They will have to compete, and competition will give us better prices. Look at all the sales that Steam does all the time. They do that because they want your business, because they’re competing with EVERYONE out there. Look at every singe EA deal that is coming; they do a really good sale like every week, I think. They don’t have a large line-up, but if you like their games, you can get them really cheap at least every other week.

5. About that error: Never saw that. I made a pre-order for BF3 and had no problems. Try IE or Firefox.

9. Lounds

I bought RF:G
    and it was £35 on steam from pre-order

3 months later it was in the THQ pack for £25, i was FML I’m never buying a full price game again, then I bought KZ3 lol, it’s now about £8 pre-owned in places, but on bright side, i bought Portal 2 for £34 on ps3, got a free copie for steam, completed it on PS3, traded it in for £22.

10. GwynbleiddiuM

@8 Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions and that’s mine and that’s the point of commenting on issues of the day to debate and share our thoughts.

1 & 5) I always use firefox, and that error is not something you’d notice because as I said it is due to regional restrictions and nothing else. And there’s their first flaw, if they want Origin to be successful they shouldn’t limit it to certain variety of regions, it should have none whatsoever. And this is the first sign for me to realize it’s a crappy thing to be out there. This is not my only issue of course, but it’s the most valid one, how can I see for myself when it’s not available for me and people like me. Just because EA does not have a marketshare in my country does this mean I’m not allowed to use their services?

2) YES, that’s what they said before, and my speculations are not based on the single act of pulling Crysis 2 out of Steam, which was due to violation of Steams policy rather than something EA would’ve done, BUT, it will come to the point that EA would rather hold on to his important titles than releasing them on steam, or at least they will release it far after the original release date of the title. This wont be something that would sit well with Steam, I’m sure at some point EA would keep Origin exclusive titles that has huge demands and wont be available anywhere else but Origin and retail market, or it will have time exclusivity. Already SW:TOR is an Origin exclusive. So my above predictions are not something that I did not invest some thoughts on and certainly are not baseless. This is how people do business these days and ones benefits is always more important than the other guy so I always expect some backstabbing, tension or bad blood between business partners that engage in rivalry.

3) Actually I don’t bought anything from D2D yet because I’m more than satisfied with Steam and already have more than 30 titles in my account, more than 15 titles on my GoG account too. So no I only have Steam. I do play WoW which has it’s on launcher and even I though I use XFIRE for in-game time tracking and socializing and stuff I do use my non-steam games with steam client for it’s great in-game web browsing, oops, already too much irrelevant info, sorry.

4) I have no arguments there, no one can question the power of choice and variety, yet, Origin is a single dimensional service and by that I mean there’s no variety, it’s just games and services published by EA, where’s the variety and choice in that? It’s a competition when it’s between Steam, D2D, I dunno how many other third-party digital distribution solutions are available and retail market, not when the publisher’s desperate attempts to eliminate the middle man enters the picture, from there it’s going to monopole direction. Yet, it’s just my opinion and might turn out wrong, but I’m confident in a long run it wont turn out as good as EA hoped it to be.

11. darksied

I understand each of your arguments, and that’s fine; I just don’t happen to agree with some of them. I will say this though: I hope that they don’t keep Star Wars only on Origin. Not because I don’t like the client, but because I really want all games to do well, I don’t care who sells them. So I want this game to do well, and I don’t want it to be limited to people who buy retail and only buy on Origin. I would like as well if people have the choice to buy ALL games on either Steam, D2D, Impulse, OR Origin, not only one. But since we have to have many clients, hopefully we will see better competition and all that.

I didn’t know about that regional thing, hopefully that’s something that gets fixed. I’m sure they will take care of it; I can’t imagine them region-locking GAMES and keeping it that way. They want to make money like everyone else, so they’ll have that fixed. Their service is pretty new, so give it some time.

12. Phoenixblight

” I hope that they don’t keep Star Wars only on Origin.”

ALready been announced as a Origin exclusive they are following what Blizzard has done. WOW is only through Blizzard’s store.

I am fine with EA or whatever publisher wants to cut out the middle man I know I would if I had a service and someone would pay me directly instead of Apple, Steam, etc taking their cut. EA has the money and should do this they have offered a lot better digital deals and exclusive items for going through them and I am fine with that. I am not a steam loyalist. I go to who ever has a better deal.