DC Universe Online adds microtransaction support

Friday, 1st July 2011 03:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

DC Universe Online has launched an in-game marketplace. Well, well, well.

Massively reports Sony Online Entertainment opened the microtransaction store today, but it’s still quite light on items.

Repair-bots and tickets to the Vault instance are the only offerings so far.

Nevertheless, we’re extremely interested, because if SOE intend to take DCUO down the free-to-play path, this is an obvious first move.

DC Universe Online is available on PC and PlayStation 3.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

For DCUO to live, a f2p model was the only available and rational solution. It should have launched so in the beginning.

2. RockTwist

I played this for a couple months from release and while it’s well made and somewhat fun, it’s pretty blatant they knew it’d go B2P/F2P eventually. The cash shop foundations have always been in the game with a coming soon message on it.

The game’s got some nice positives to it I hope other MMO’s follow, namely the duo system aimed at 2 friends and the ‘wanted’ system. It’d be a shame if it fails completely but I can’t see it doing so if they change to f2p/b2p.

3. BraveArse

Yeah this is good news, it needs more content and more people, but it’s a promising way forward for console MMOs IMO. I loved my time with it.

4. viralshag

I didn’t even finish my free month, sadly. I wasn’t very impressed by the game, even if I ignore the buggy state it was in at release. It just wasn’t very exciting and even with the brand it didn’t have anything on CoH or Champions.

I don’t think going F2P will bring back many people to this game. If I need a comic-mmo fix, I will go to champions F2P.

5. silkvg247

It’s a great game, I like it. But initially it was subbing at £11.99 *excluding” vat so I am in no way shape or form surprised that it didn’t take off. That’s an absurd price!

It’s cheaper now but I’m still not sure there’s enough bang for buck. I get the feeling I’m paying for their licence to use the DC characters rather than quality of game.

That said, I would recommend this game; it’s the best “sueprhero” game I’ve played and yup, I’ve played them all. Superspeed is fun (you can run up walls). There were a couple of annoying bugs such as randomly forgetting Y-axis is reversed in dungeons, but these seem to have gone away now.