BioWare “committed” to avoiding past mistakes

Friday, 1st July 2011 07:48 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Fan feedback has had significant impact on Mass Effect 3, according to Bioware’s Jesse Houston.

After Mass Effect’s weapon and armour customisations drew criticism, BioWare scaled them back – but will revise them again based on new input, the producer told Wired.

“We got a lot of feedback from fans that [the customization options] were too cumbersome, so we totally removed them for Mass Effect 2. We might have cut a little too deep with that,” he said.

Players of both titles called for more melee options, hence Mass Effect 3′s Omniblade.

“One of the big things that we’re trying to do is give players more choices. A lot of players wanted to get up close and personal, but didn’t have the tools to do that,” Houston noted.

BioWare will also move forward with lessons learned from the mixed-feedback to Dragon Age 2.

“We learned a lot about the way story flow should work,” Houston said of Dragon Age 2′s plot.

“I don’t want to go into too many details, but ultimately, we’ve listened to the fans in a big way: We’re taking it very, very seriously and we’re committed to making sure we don’t repeat mistakes.”

Mass Effect 3 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in early March, 2012.

Thanks, Blue.

1. osric90

You better don’t. Mistakes as prerendered cutscenes, bad transitions, male animations for female character, facial motion, jaggies, awful looking menus and loading screens, not being able to switch shoulders when aiming, AWFUL plastic looking human characters that look all the same (aliens looked more realistic, yes) made this game not the PERFECT game. I hope all of this is fixed in Mass Effect 3. Real-time (always!) cutscenes, if not customization at least a whole bunch of -good looking- models to chose… OH, AND THE SOUND! What the hell happened to the sound on Mass Effect 2? Sound lagging, audio out of sync, voices getting low and slow when reloading, etc… Really, Mass Effect 2 could’ve been the best game ever made but all this stuff made it far away from the others that actually are closer than perfection. Mass Effect 3 HAS TO BE PERFECT and I’m looking forward to it (still sad Mass Effect 2 had all these mistakes though).

2. endgame

hell yeah! wait, what mistakes? bioware made mistakes with me2? do not agree. I’m through my 4th play through and I have yet to find one mistake.

p.s.: I love the simplicity of the weapon and armor customization. it takes the mind of customization and let’s u focus on story and combat.

p.s. 2: btw u guys should buy the weapon pack that contains the m96 mattock. I’m playing as a soldier on insanity and it’s a breeze. or maybe I’m just too awesome. yeah. that’s definitely it. ;)

3. DSB

Yeah, still not buying it, no matter how high the reviews go. I don’t need another Rainbow Six: Vegas in space.

4. viralshag

@2, I agree. Not with your “awesomeness” but the game’s awesomeness. :D

@1, You must be on crack. o.O

@3, I think you’re missing out but I know this game is not for everyone.

5. Dralen

I definitely want to see customizable armor back in. And I don’t mean the sorry excuse for armor customization that they put in the second game.

@1 Yes. All your points are spot on.

6. Phoenixblight

THat was already spoken about in an article there is customizable armor and weapons and not like ME 2 either.

Might as well ask for the moon because you will get the same result.

7. IL DUCE

I liked Mass Effect 1 more than Mass Effect 2 so hopefully they find the perfect balance of deeper RPG elements like in Mass Effect 1 with the great graphics and shooting mechanics from Mass Effect 2…

They have their work cut out for them with Dragon Age III though…def need to scale back the “innovative” changes and make it more like Origins was

@3 What would be wrong with Rainbow Six: Vegas in space? LOL…I’m a big fan of Rainbow Six so I can’t really hate on it, but Mass Effect 2 was much more of a story driven shooter as opposed to a shooter-RPG hybrid like the first, so I agree…
    (and Mass Effect 2 is in 3rd person the whole time so technically it would be more like a Ghost Recon in space LOL)

8. DSB

@4 I actually bought it based on the first one, and I think it’s one of my biggest disappointments since Invisible War, and definitely the most puzzling 9′s and 10′s I’ve ever seen being handed out wholesale.

The only difference between that and any bog standard cover shooter I’ve played, is a few halfassed dialogue sections, and warping time and space instead of tossing grenades.

Maybe it just a poor fit for me, but I have friends who bought it for the very same reasons, that were so bored they didn’t even bother completing it. I don’t get what’s great about that game, beyond Lance Henriksens voice acting.

9. StolenGlory

OT – Lance Henriksen is awesome.

Ahem. As you were.