Nintendo pours cold water on Operation Rainfall efforts

Thursday, 30th June 2011 02:56 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Nintendo has announced it has no plans to bring Wii RPGs Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora’s Tower and The Last Story to the US.

Nintendo of America’s Twitter account broke the bad news, replying to repeated requests for information from Operation Rainfall.

“Thanks for being such incredible fans! Unfortunately, there continues to be no plans for NOA to release these 3 games right now.”

The company reiterated its message on Facebook.

“Thank you for your enthusiasm. We promised an update, so here it is. We never say ‘never,’ but we can confirm that there are no plans to bring these three games to the Americas at this time. Thanks so much for your passion, and for being such great fans!”

The statements are in opposition to comments from a Nintendo representative earlier this week that Xenoblade was still slated for a US release, but as the game was once included in the company’s release schedules, earlier reports may have been the result of confusion.

Operation Rainfall organisers remain undaunted, and will continue campaigning.

Xenoblade Chronicles releases in Europe in September, but will not be playable on US Wii consoles. Nintendo of France is reported to have confirmed an EU release for The Last Story, too.

Thanks, IGN.

1. lexph3re

Bet, WiiU launch titles to fuel the “hardcore” gamers to buy the new console

2. Shubb9

“Thanks for being such incredible fans!
    We never say ‘never,’
    Thanks so much for your passion, and for being such great fans!”
    Politest STFU ever

3. ExxonValdez

Nintendo sucks..

4. frostquake

Gee thanks for caring…Guess I will keep playing Shovelware like “Saint” NOT!!!!

5. ultramega

How stupid are they? This is the very reason why the Wii failed. It’s harsh but true.

Guess I’ll just be pirating this and playing it on Dolphin… Since my Wii isn’t region free (unlike my PS3).

6. dreamcastnews

I don’t think we could call the Wii a failure now can we….

7. Blerk

@2, heh heh – quite.

Nintendo are still thoroughly stuck in the last generation when it comes to actually releasing software. Long delays in some regions, completely missing games, no information about whether things are coming or not, etc. etc.

That shit ended, Nintendo. Catch up, for God’s sake.

8. Lightmanone

I looked into Xenoblade, but it doesn’t look that good. I am a very big fan of RPG’s and the best till now in my opinion is Paper Mario The Thousand Year door and Baten Kaitos, along with Eternal Sonata. Xenoblade is a bit.. final fantasy like, which, I personally don’t really like (yeah, RPG fan, but no FF for me)

I do feel bad for the US citizens who would like this game, it’s like being screwed over by localization. I would say to them: put a chip in your Wii, or softmod it and rip the game off the internet when it comes out here. Or import or whatever. English is english. I don’t give a crap if it’s British or US-English, I can understand it both, that’s all that really matters to me. Just, Japanese voices please.

9. silkvg247

Well this is..weird. It’s usually the USA that get RPG’s whilst the EU get shafted. I remember as a young child having to import all the decent SNES RPG’s and pay 4x more.

In either case, they have translated the game into English, why not release in both places?

Never, ever understood it.

@8 ff started getting lame after ffX on the ps2. FF7 good, FF9 good, FF8 so-so. Everything else.. meh. Best ones were on SNES anyway.