Uncharted 3 – HD video from the multiplayer beta

Wednesday, 29th June 2011 10:24 GMT By Patrick Garratt

You may not have played the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta, but at least now you can see what it looks like.

We’ve capped three videos from the just-released beta this morning, showing off Team Deathmatch, 3-Team Deathmatch and Free For All.

Two levels are included in the test, Airstrip and Chateau. Johnny’s getting some impressions together for you now. Read all our coverage here.

Here’s the first one. It’s Team Deathmatch from the Airstrip level, showing its multi-stage structure. The other two movies are uploading now.

This one shows Free For All on Chateau.

And here’s some Three Team Deathmatch on Chateau, in which Cullen and I get murdered. A lot.

1. Patrick Garratt

I’m fairly bad at most games. I’m fucking *terrible* at this.

2. someguy2

If only you were as good at Uncharted as you were at Team Fortress 2 Pat

3. Erthazus

Kids on PSN as always. Great online platform.

4. AJacks92

Killzone 3 definitely nailed multi-stage MP maps for sure. Curious as to why Uncharted has MP. Some games just shouldn’t have it. That’s like saying GoW should have MP or MGS (which it actually does and also fails at). Great games no doubt, but having MP is a mistake.

5. someguy2

@3 Sure they may be annoying but are they not allowed to enjoy a game too?

6. Erthazus

Just as i expected. Uncharted 3 multiplayer is not great. Not because Naughty dog can’t do it, it’s just because of the games engine capabilities and games design overall.

the best 3rd Person multiplayer is still Gears Of War 3, while Uncharted 3 is probably going to trump it in single player.

+ kids with nicknames such as AEROKID24, assassinoluca or thejoker0724 hurts the game. No thanks. Probably just a singleplayer for me… Sadly. This just shows that console games need dedicated servers as a must and thats where Gears Of War 3 does great.

@5, everyone can enjoy any game, but i don’t enjoy game session with these types of vultures. I quit or just play with friends. On steam i have less of this… shit.

7. Schindet Nemo

I fucking suck at Uncharted MP. Most likely because you can’t disguise as the enemy and stab them in the back when they least expect it.

8. someguy2

@7 I shoot every team mate now because of you

9. Schindet Nemo

That’s called spy checking. It is actually EXPECTED from you. You know that you’re good at TF2 when you’re totally paranoid.

10. Gekidami

Jeesh Pat, what are you aiming with, the D-pad?

11. Erthazus

One thing that they really improved is platforming. You get a map where you need to do a lot of climbing to succeed which in the second game they never got it right, until few last DLC maps.

Basically Uncharted 3 is Uncharted 2 multiplayer but with right maps and customization.
    Nothing special. The problem is that it’s just clunky… In the singleplayer the feeling is very natural and fantastic with all these cinematic platforming, shooting, but in Uncharted multiplayer it’s kinda clunky. I don’t know. Just feels not right.

I think BF3, Gears Of War 3, MW3 are MP games where people will play the most.

12. mojo

4: in fact, i know a fair bit of ppl who absolutely adore MGO.

13. Johnny Cullen

I was horribly bad in Three Team Deathmatch this morning with Pat. I even forgot what button cover was. And I own and have finished both games. :(

14. DrDamn

I was sceptical of U2 having MP but it worked very well in co-op and great in levels which were designed with the verticality in mind. I didn’t like the rush to get the good weapons – that was a bit old skool for me, prefer a loadout system – is that changed here?

Downloaded but not played yet. That initial part of the vid looked pretty cool for a MP level though – I like that.

Pat’s key skills at U3 appear to be :-
    1) Aiming over the top of peoples heads
    2) Standing out in the open
    3) Throwing himself under truck wheels

I have noticed a greater prevalence of obscure and silly names on PSN compared to Live. If people are going to pick long names they should make an effort to make it readable and have an obvious shortening of the name so people tell you stuff. Number of times I’ve wanted to let people know there was someone behind them and they’ve died whilst I try and work out what to call them.

15. Patrick Garratt

@10 – Seriously, I could hardly see the enemies. I fiddled with the brightness in the other vids, but I’m still shit at it.

16. Gekidami

Yeah, that airfield stage is pretty dark. Though the chateau is nice and bright.

17. Johnny Cullen

You kidding? The Chateau’s the one that’s absolutely dark! :S

18. Gekidami

Outside its bright, at least.

19. Christopher Jack

I enjoyed it. Not perfect, especially that overly clunky lobby system. It feels like a small scale version of Socom shoved into the Uncharted universe. It’s alright, not totally necessary but just like Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, I appreciate the tacked on MP much more than I would have thought.
    @Erthazus, You’re going to run into childish morons regardless of the network you play on. Ok, PSN & especially XBL you’re going to run into more than on a more advanced network like Steam but that’s not saying that you won’t run into games where your teammates are more interested in killing/harassing his mates than the enemies.

20. Patrick Garratt

There’s the second movie.

21. Peetry

I forgot how terrible I am at 3rd person, oh well. I’ll prob play this for a day or two then go back to BFBC2 like I have done with all games since March last year. I find the shooting very unsatisfying have to say

22. Patrick Garratt

There’s the third one. That’s your lot.

23. HeavenlyGamer

@4, AJacks92

Are you crazy??!! UC2 multiplayer is the best shooter on PS3! Compared to the ordinary shooters UC2 has humor in it, what makes it fun to play.

Anyway, I’m not impressed with the UC3 MP beta :( It feels completely different! It’s as if ND tried to hard to make it feel like CoD. Oh wel, we’ll have Bodycount and BF3 soon..

24. artursz1993

sorry, but it looks awful :(

25. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I thought it was good for a first beta impression. Enjoy U2 multiplayer quite much, and looking forward to more time in U3 with all the new features.

26. Bloodyghost

Very disappointing.

Hopefully the Single Player isnt rushed too.

27. Phoenixblight

If you are expecting for the game to be fully polished and functional then you don’t understand what Beta is about.

28. Bloodyghost

@27 I forgot to add that to my comment. I understand what a beta is, but usually Beta’s now for big games are usually mostly finished and are pretty much the RC version of the game just susceptible to patches which is why we have this “BETA”.

Its more of a demo then a beta phase.

Also I just hope the Single Player will live up.

29. Phoenixblight

Not exactly Gears Beta wasn’t all smooth people were constantly going through bugs and unintended gameplay.

30. Bloodyghost

@29 Yeah but it felt more smooth and rounded then this beta. Also that beta made a lot of people open there eyes to Gears 3 as a game that resolves the issues that plagued the last. This one seems to be more of a disappointment seeing from these public eyes.

But they are two different demons. Gears 3 is more serious while Uncharted 3′s multiplayer is more fun and arcade like.

31. Phoenixblight

RIght I wasn’t comparing the two games I was just comparing their beta handling. Give it a couple of weeks and it would be a lot tigher, they are internally playing their own version which is usually 2-3 builds ahead of what the public is playing.

32. bluffbluff03

Uncharted is no MP-Shooter. These videos are the best proof. The 3rd person perspective is not the best to be an online-shooter. Exepct from Assassins Creed and GoW every 3rd person online gaming sucks, even uncharted 2 (where i did no really get the humor!). Make a good singleplayer and i am with you. Focusing on the MP and you missed a big chance,Naughty Dog.

33. strikkebil

huge let down.

its nothing like u2 MP. this is slow and boring. and also, the game doesnt even look that good. wtf!?

34. Gekidami

Rather funny -yet predictable- that the people hating, of course are basing their opinions off these videos alone.

35. Christopher Jack

Anyone else get a SOCOM-like feel about the game?

36. Gekidami

I wish SOCOM 4 was more like this, rather then a FPS where you see a character on the screen instead of a gun. But no, i’m not getting that feeling at all.

37. AJacks92

@23 Idk…it just feels awkward. I feel it could do without. I mean, if it’s co-op online…then fine. But it’s for competitive purposes, then no. The way I see it…a game’s multiplayer is only good if you can host an entire tourney with just that game. It’s been done before. And frankly, I don’t see any UC tournaments. If there are, then that’s just stupid. Just saying.