Molyneux “a little bit bored” with “sameness” of modern games

Wednesday, 29th June 2011 20:07 GMT By Andrew Groen

Speaking with Xbox World 360 magazine, Peter Molyneux expressed some of his frustrations with modern video gaming, and offered a glimpse at where he’d like to see video games go.

Most of his response is vintage Molyneux, as he endorses the importance of emotion in video gaming, as well as innovation and new ideas.

“I’m trying to think of a more diplomatic way of saying this, but I’m just a little bit bored of doing things the same way in games,” said Molyneux.

“While I love all the drama of modern games there is this sameness about it. They’re essentially the same – one’s got a green palette, one’s got a grey palette; you’re shooting and ducking and diving and it just seems almost on the point of being a little bit like Hollywood where they have got into this rut with their action films,” the chief of Lionhead Studios continued.

“I’m not saying we’ve quite got that yet but we’re certainly getting towards that. I think mixing things up with emotional gameplay and mixing things up with the way you play and the feeling of connections and Kinect… it feels a bit more refreshing for me. But I’m obviously going to answer like that because I work in computer games.”

Molyneux is currently developing Fable: The Journey which was revealed at E3 this year.

1. Maximum Payne

2. Moonwalker1982

First make a GOOD game again Molyneux before saying this kind of stuff. Fable 3 was very mediocre and a step back from Fable 2 actually. Recently i saw a video of E3 last year, and one of the developers actually had the nerve to claim Fable 3 was gonna be ten times better than Oblivion. Guess what dude…it doesn’t even come close.

3. Strandli

That criticism did not come from the right ass…

4. DSB

Ultimately people buy what they want, and publishers take note. That’s how genres and expressions form. Sadly for the more marginalized genres, people just aren’t willing to pay to keep them around, and the production costs these days are too high.

That’s how you go from Rainbow Six to Rainbow Six: Vegas or from Dragon Age to Dragon Age 2.

Most developers are really just trying to give people what they want. Even if that’s boring, it shifts merchandise.

5. Peetry

It’s that time of year again when VG247 becomes a Molyneux blog

6. Mace

True about the sameness. But Kinect as the way out of there? Doing a few more pointless handgestures? This guy really seems lost.

“I’m not saying we’ve quite got that yet but we’re certainly getting towards that.”
    I think we got way deeper into that stage than most realise. It’s even hard to find a game that can stand on its own. It’s all just one big fashionable soup.

7. NightCrawler1970

Time to retire mate if you start bitching… hang out in the moulin rouge…

8. SplatteredHouse

There should be some kind of developer exchange program! A pair of studios team up, and send their most promising to each other for a month, do their developing and, whilst there learn about and critique what they find (leave notes.) Then, there’s more chance of new.

9. Quasar

i got bored after 5 minutes in fable3, so fuck off

10. Kabby

Where’s the Molyneux filter, Garratt?

11. Deinsleaf

I am also bored of your constant false promises.

12. Johnny Cullen

I heart Peter Molyneux.

I just want to get that out there as a clearly bias pro-Molyneux VG247 writer.

13. ExxonValdez

Fable is boring. Maybe you shouldn’t try and half ass your games Molyneux.

14. Telepathic.Geometry

Oh God Molyneux, shut the fuck up, please. Shouldn’t you be coding and working on game development. Seems to do nothing but talk to the press about games.

15. IL DUCE

Is this an everyday thing now? Pessimism and Self Loathing with Peter Molyneux

16. Kuwabara

17. OlderGamer

Say what you want folks, but this “They’re essentially the same – one’s got a green palette, one’s got a grey palette; you’re shooting and ducking and diving and it just seems almost on the point of being a little bit like Hollywood …” is dead on correct.

But DSB is right too, sometimes games cost too much to make. Too many different game types are desolving into esentaly clone experiences of each other. Pubs go where the money is. Wait till they figure they can tripple their profits but dumping you and making casual games, cause that will be fun.

18. DaMan

They should make another Populous instead of the lame Fables.

19. mojo

20. silkvg247

You know what, Peter? If you just went back to your roots and remade (and I do NOT mean redesign) the original populous 2 (first one was ok but second was ridiculously addictive), you would win my respect back as well as my money.

No gimmicks, no giant pets that eat people. Make me god, give me god powers, let me grow forests and burn them down taking my enemies with them. let me create a giant volcano beneath them and watch them burn. let me drop them into a swamp.

Imagine that, with today’s graphics and sound technology. Nothing gameplace wise needs changing at all. Not a single thing. lift land, drop land, populate, destroy.

If you were to add anything, I’d say custom avatars for your “God”, and up to 4-way multiplayer.

21. Fin

Y all the hate :(

Fable was awesome… If you get bored go play BLOPS LOL

22. viralshag

I do like Peter and I do like Fable but what he says here is rather annoying.

He is complaining about the “sameness” of the industry when he last three games have been near identical except for graphical upgrades.

He talks about emotion in games but I would go as far to say that the Fable series (more 2 and 3 because the original was interesting and fresh) is a really poor example of bringing emotion to gaming as for the most part it is extremely shallow.

I say “for the most part” because in 2, I felt more strongly about the dog than anything else in the game and the last decision was a difficult one but that was completely lost in 3. And the whole “touch” and holding hand thing came across as nothing more than a gameplay feature.

I do think, for his own good, Peter should really take a step back from Fable and really look at what his work was like before and what it is now before criticising the industry when he has not really brought anything new to the fray in many years.

23. OrbitMonkey

To me this is Peter’s cry for help. I fucking bet that every year he crawls towards the alter of his Microsoft overlords with fresh game Idea’s & they slap his bitch ass down with “NO! MOAR FABLE!!”.

Poor Peter :(

24. DSB

More God games, less pet owner/9-5 job simulators.

In other words, we need to find Peter Molyneux and take away his collection of The Sims. It has obviously grown beyond containment.