HMV to refuse Resident Evil: Mercenaries trade-ins in UK

Wednesday, 29th June 2011 11:18 GMT By Johnny Cullen

UK retailer HMV will not accept trade-ins of Resident Evil: The Mercenaries as part of its RePlay scheme, VG247 has learnt.

This follows the discovery of a controversial save game system that makes deleting save game files impossible, which effectively makes it pretty much useless for the second-hand market. Capcom said it was “not a factor” for the system’s inclusion.

EB Games Australia has apparently pulled its stock from its store, with GameStop reversing a decision overnight to now accept trade-ins from today in the US.

Now HMV will has said it’ll not take in copies of the game from gamers who wish to sell it onwards. However, it has confirmed to us that it will still stock the game for its release on Friday.

HMV PR boss Gennaro Castaldo told VG247 that it’s not accepting those trading in their copies of Mercenaries to “avoid any potential customer disappointment for those purchasing a pre-owned version.”

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries releases on Friday for 3DS.

1. SplatteredHouse

What’s GAME’s position on this? I don’t know why any retailer would accept that as a trade-in, if it’s literally worthless as a pre-owned title.

2. Suikoden Fan

double edged sword situation for capcom here, if people cant trade the game in some may not bother buying the game new at all as they may feel like they cant get there money or part of it back. Somehow i doubt capcom thought that far ahead

3. viralshag

I’m a little confused and that might be due to my lack of knowledge about portable games but I don’t get why this has any effect on the trade in side?

Where does the game save the files to? I would have thought on the 3DS… If that’s the case, why does this impact someone buying it second hand? Won’t it just make a new permanent save to their console?

4. Blerk

The saves go onto the cart, not the 3DS itself. So if you buy second hand, you effectively can’t start again – you’re stuck with whatever the previous guy did.

GAME have said they will accept this for trade-in as normal, btw. Story’s on Eurogamer’s front page.

5. Blerk

But that’s a good point, actually. In this day and age where portable consoles have built-in memory, why the hell are the games still saving to flash RAM on the cart?

6. viralshag

Ah ok, thanks, I assumed that must be what it is. Now that you confirmed it for me I will confirm that, yes, this is a stupid feature.

And yeah, that’s what I didn’t get at first. I thought it would save to an internal memory or something like that. That’s why I was initially confused :P

7. SplatteredHouse

covered above already. :)

@4: Right. I only asked because they’d serve as a stronger indication of retail’s take on things than perhaps HMV. Still, I struggle to see how the resell value would make it worthwhile – maybe they’re hoping for archivists/collectors to show interest! (misprints, etc valued higher due to rarity than originals)

8. Runcle

Is it not pretty much a highest score type of game anyway? Surely having to beat a previous owners own scores just adds more challenge.

9. viralshag

@8, That’s true but then what if you got a copy and couldn’t beat the previous owners top score for whatever reason? I imagine that might annoy some people.

10. AHA-Lambda

good hopefully game/gamestation are next!

capcom need to ****ing learn that they cant pull this shit! >:(

11. Zurtech

@ Blerk.

Agreed, I’d've thought especially given the 3DS comes packaged with an SD card that’d be used for save data.

Can’t say I’ve been wanting RE:Mercs, but it’s gone from a “try it when it’s cheaper” (cos I know it’d be the sort of title I’d try and trade), to a “meh, will save my money for something worthwhile”.

12. cre

what ’9 said, and: skills/charakters/costumes can also only be unlocked once. For me, unlocking things is a big part of the fun/sense of progression in a game.

13. Lewis247

It’s beyond logic for them to remove the save feature without looking at it going against the used game business because it means everyone can only go for brand new copies.

Guys, if you want capcom to learn a lesson they should be allowing these to be traded in and so on… Blocking it won’t teach them but give them more money as people can only buy it brand new.

The only thing that is holding my hopes in capcom now are that they don’t fuck up resident evil 6. If they do that then I’m officially never buying a capcom game for the foreseeable future.

14. Phoenixblight

Retailers are starting to pull the game off the shelf so this is going to hurt them.

As far as the Resident Evil comment goes I don’t buy Capcom games because of these dick move tactics. DLC on the actual disk and then charging for it and now this. They are just going after selling their games based on brand name. This tactic will come back to bite them in the ass, its already starting to with amazonbombing and retailers refusing to stock the game.

15. Onikilly

Same situation in France : http://www.jeuxactu.com/article-53517-re-mercenaries-3d-pas-d-occasion-.html

16. onefivefive

I think this is a good idea for Capcom because, like any published, they need to survive and the preowned market sure makes that difficult. But I think they have a responsibility to keep this game available new, be it on the shelves or through digital download, for as long as they can.

17. AHA-Lambda